Reco for Beginner Trails in KY, OH, IN, TN

Frommaa

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
I've had my 2018 Jeep Sahara JL (pretty much stock) for a couple of years and was looking into the possibility of stretching it's legs off pavement. I'm a beginner and want somewhere I can take my family and not have to worry about getting pulled out of a bad situation. Any advise on places in KY, IN, OH, or Northern TN? I've looked into Haspin Acres, Wildcat, and Windrock, but to be honest I'm not sure if there is a good place to go without a group and just the family.
Sponsored

jg45

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon
I've had my 2018 Jeep Sahara JL (pretty much stock) for a couple of years and was looking into the possibility of stretching it's legs off pavement. I'm a beginner and want somewhere I can take my family and not have to worry about getting pulled out of a bad situation. Any advise on places in KY, IN, OH, or Northern TN? I've looked into Haspin Acres, Wildcat, and Windrock, but to be honest I'm not sure if there is a good place to go without a group and just the family.
Don't know if you found a spot, but you might want to look at Land Between the Lakes. Turkey Bay is a dedicated offroad park that will have plenty of other wheelers around and will range from mild to wild. I attended a jeep Jamboree there many years ago and they really had something for eberyone. There are also roads all through LBL. The first number of the road denotes it's relative use, 1 = major road to 3 = lightly used with little maintenance. Maps are available online and at the visitors center.

OP
OP

Frommaa

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
Don't know if you found a spot, but you might want to look at Land Between the Lakes. Turkey Bay is a dedicated offroad park that will have plenty of other wheelers around and will range from mild to wild. I attended a jeep Jamboree there many years ago and they really had something for eberyone. There are also roads all through LBL. The first number of the road denotes it's relative use, 1 = major road to 3 = lightly used with little maintenance. Maps are available online and at the visitors center.
Appreciate the tip! Didn’t end up doing it on my last vacation, but maybe will take one before school starts for the kids. Thanks!

Abend

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLUR, 1948 CJ-2A, 2018 Sting Gray JLU Sport (the wife's)
You might try Dirty Turtle Off Road park in Bedford, KY. It's only about an hour and a half away and the perimeter trail there is pretty fun without being overwhelming to someone new to off-roading. There's also Hollerwood down toward the Red River Gorge area.

OP
OP

Frommaa

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
You might try Dirty Turtle Off Road park in Bedford, KY. It's only about an hour and a half away and the perimeter trail there is pretty fun without being overwhelming to someone new to off-roading. There's also Hollerwood down toward the Red River Gorge area.
Thanks for the reco!

Sponsored

Mid-life Wrangler

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon JLU
Thanks for the reco!
Aaron, I live in Dry Ridge, KY and am a relative Newbie too. Let me know what you try and how it goes. I’m not sure if you are aware, but there is a local Jeep Club that does some family friendly rides and events and they have sponsors that offer discounts to members. You can look them up on Facebook, Kentucky Rebel Wranglers. Membership is really exploding. Unfortunately my Jeep was totaled in April, so I haven’t been able to participate yet, but once I get my 2021, I’ll be there.

OP
OP

Frommaa

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
Aaron, I live in Dry Ridge, KY and am a relative Newbie too. Let me know what you try and how it goes. I’m not sure if you are aware, but there is a local Jeep Club that does some family friendly rides and events and they have sponsors that offer discounts to members. You can look them up on Facebook, Kentucky Rebel Wranglers. Membership is really exploding. Unfortunately my Jeep was totaled in April, so I haven’t been able to participate yet, but once I get my 2021, I’ll be there.
Thanks for the tip, I'll check it out!

Hayseed_JLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2015 JKU
Find a local jeep club your first few times. Learn from them and there will also be a little less anxiety for you so you can just drive and have fun. After that, it still best to go with someone but make sure if you are solo that you can take care of yourself should you get stuck or lost.

There is also Redbird in southern IN that has mild to wild.
Sponsored