Sponsored

2-door Storage ideas.

LaunchMedia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon 2 Dr.
I have been looking online at different aluminum, steel or hard plastic, lockable tool boxes or storage containers that I could cut out an opening in the bottom to lock it to a storage ring in the back floor of the Jeep between the back seat and the door.
With the angle of the seat it goes from about 15" at the bottom to about 10" at the top of the door. I did see the Plano container but it doesn't appear to be quite what I had in mind secure-wise.
I am finding lots of containers but it is hard to tell how well they'd fit, if the lid could open with the door closed etc. So looking for any insights if you have done something like this. What did you get and what works well or doesn't work well? Thanks for any insights.

tkelly11

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.wanderingobservations.com
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport S 2 Door
I got one of these and really like it. Pretty inexpensive, decent quality and holds a surprising amount of stuff. In that pic it’s got two sleeping bags and two self inflating sleeping mats/pads plus some other smaller items

Rightline Gear 100J74 Jeep... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00P1A3ADI?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

7B8539E3-E93B-4D2E-9681-5DE0DEF0259A.jpeg

Myron

First Name
Myron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler, 1964 Land Rover SIIA 88
These are the two best/nicest rear seat storage options that I've found so for a 2 door JL.

Sherpa Saddle Bags for JL 2 Door at $240.00 USD for the pair

I haven't actually come across anyone who has either of these installed yet, so I can't say how good or bad either is.

I'm leaning towards the Sherpa Saddle Bags as they don't block any of the passenger side rear window like the XG Cargo Bags do.
I loved the look and apparent construction quality of the Overland Outfitters Sherpa bags so I ordered a pair. I'll update the thread with pictures when they arrive.

As a bonus they make a cutlery keeper specifically designed to work with my Trailgater table, so how could I not order that?

BadAssBumbleBee

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL Rubicon, 2010 Callaway SC572 Camaro SS
I loved the look and apparent construction quality of the Overland Outfitters Sherpa bags so I ordered a pair. I'll update the thread with pictures when they arrive.

As a bonus they make a cutlery keeper specifically designed to work with my Trailgater table, so how could I not order that?
I'm looking forward to seeing some real life pics and a review of the Overland Outfitters Sherpa bags. They're about $350-$375 Canadian with shipping and duties, so I've been a little hesitant to buy them without actually seeing them in real life.

Did you buy them from Overland Outfitters directly or from Quadratec?

Sponsored

Myron

First Name
Myron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm looking forward to seeing some real life pics and a review of the Overland Outfitters Sherpa bags. They're about $350-$375 Canadian with shipping and duties, so I've been a little hesitant to buy them without actually seeing them in real life.

Did you buy them from Overland Outfitters directly or from Quadratec?
I ordered directly from Overland Outfitters. I hope they are as well made as they appear to be. I dig the classical safari look and I have the tan interior so I went with the tan color canvas. Pricey, for sure, but shipping is included in the price and if they're well made I don't mind. And I just couldn't believe the cutlery holder was designed for the tailgate table I have arriving literally today!

BadAssBumbleBee

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I ordered directly from Overland Outfitters. I hope they are as well made as they appear to be. I dig the classical safari look and I have the tan interior so I went with the tan color canvas. Pricey, for sure, but shipping is included in the price and if they're well made I don't mind. And I just couldn't believe the cutlery holder was designed for the tailgate table I have arriving literally today!
I too have no problem paying for a quality product, so I've got my fingers crossed for these bags.

Here in Canada we get screwed from all sides on virtually everything we buy from the USA. First there's the exchange rate (price x 1.33), then there's never a free shipping option for us, so add another $25-$50, and on top of that, we have to pay duties (anywhere from 1-15%) and taxes (13% in Ontario) on virtually everything. So much for free trade LOL.

Myron

First Name
Myron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I too have no problem paying for a quality product, so I've got my fingers crossed for these bags.

Here in Canada we get screwed from all sides on virtually everything we buy from the USA. First there's the exchange rate (price x 1.33), then there's never a free shipping option for us, so add another $25-$50, and on top of that, we have to pay duties (anywhere from 1-15%) and taxes (13% in Ontario) on virtually everything. So much for free trade LOL.
Not sure where in Ontario you are, but I'm in Michigan. If I can ever help you get some stuff you need, let me know. I mean, your Overland Outfitters bags would look just like mine...

BadAssBumbleBee

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not sure where in Ontario you are, but I'm in Michigan. If I can ever help you get some stuff you need, let me know. I mean, your Overland Outfitters bags would look just like mine...
Thanks @Myron, that's awesome of you to offer your help.

By the way, I'm just north of Toronto, in Richmond Hill, so if you ever come up to the Great White North, shoot me a message :)

Myron

First Name
Myron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ok, @BadAssBumbleBee here are some pics of the Overland Outfitters bags. They are made in and shipped from India, and got to me in Michigan in only four days after ordering. Although I generally only have negative experiences with DHL, they did a good job on this one.

The bags themselves are of top notch quality. I do not think you could find anything made better even if you spent more. You could certainly spend less, but I just really like the classical safari look of these, and I'm not much for the tacti-cool or MOLLE look or function. The zippers are heavy duty YKK affairs and all the seams are straight and tight. The materials are top notch and also heavy duty; the canvas reminds me of Carhartt duck.

I have the tan interior and the bags' tan color is a perfect complement to them. I hope someday to get a pair of the Carhartt seat covers when they aren't backordered, so that will also be a nice match.

Installing the saddle bags is simple. Just remove two of the T-50 bolts holding the top down and replace them, holding the zipper piece in place. Two bolts per side, and you're done. Then just zip your bags on to the zipper strips.

The only possible weak link I see is the spring clasps that allow the faux-look of real pin-buckle straps. On the other hand, my leather brief case that I carry everyday uses these and they're still going strong after 15 years of hard, over-stuffed use. If and when these fail on the saddle bag it would be a relatively simple thing to install your own straps and convert to a real pin-buckle set up.

The icing on the cake is the tools and cutlery holder designed specifically to work with the Trailgater fold-down table. I haven't attached mine yet but will do so when we go camping. Looks like all the holes line up perfectly so installation will be a snap.

Overall, I'm super pleased with my purchase and can't wait to start getting some use out of them. I hope this mini-review is useful for someone else looking at these products.

Pic 1: The saddle bags come in a very nice muslin drawstring bag. This would make a nice laundry bag or similar on outings. The cutlery organizer comes in a plastic sleeve.

2yTUnLv.jpg

Pic 2: The saddle bags are heavy duty and very well constructed.

gzQMZLi.jpg

Pic 3: I love the classic plaid lining. Reminds me of my Baracuta G4 jacket.

olbUrNW.jpg

Pic 4: Although it doesn't say so explicitly, I'm assuming the bags are made in India. Materials and construction are top notch.

r8dHVji.jpg

Pic 5 and 6: Installation is a snap and takes literally only a minute or two with a T-50 ratchet.

tee6AAC.jpg

8i1H877.jpg

Pic 7: The cutlery keeper will be a breeze to install and will no doubt prove handy!

uLm1Vh2.jpg

Sponsored

BadAssBumbleBee

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ok, @BadAssBumbleBee here are some pics of the Overland Outfitters bags. They are made in and shipped from India, and got to me in Michigan in only four days after ordering. Although I generally only have negative experiences with DHL, they did a good job on this one.

The bags themselves are of top notch quality. I do not think you could find anything made better even if you spent more. You could certainly spend less, but I just really like the classical safari look of these, and I'm not much for the tacti-cool or MOLLE look or function. The zippers are heavy duty YKK affairs and all the seams are straight and tight. The materials are top notch and also heavy duty; the canvas reminds me of Carhartt duck.

I have the tan interior and the bags' tan color is a perfect complement to them. I hope someday to get a pair of the Carhartt seat covers when they aren't backordered, so that will also be a nice match.

Installing the saddle bags is simple. Just remove two of the T-50 bolts holding the top down and replace them, holding the zipper piece in place. Two bolts per side, and you're done. Then just zip your bags on to the zipper strips.

The only possible weak link I see is the spring clasps that allow the faux-look of real pin-buckle straps. On the other hand, my leather brief case that I carry everyday uses these and they're still going strong after 15 years of hard, over-stuffed use. If and when these fail on the saddle bag it would be a relatively simple thing to install your own straps and convert to a real pin-buckle set up.

The icing on the cake is the tools and cutlery holder designed specifically to work with the Trailgater fold-down table. I haven't attached mine yet but will do so when we go camping. Looks like all the holes line up perfectly so installation will be a snap.

Overall, I'm super pleased with my purchase and can't wait to start getting some use out of them. I hope this mini-review is useful for someone else looking at these products.

Pic 1: The saddle bags come in a very nice muslin drawstring bag. This would make a nice laundry bag or similar on outings. The cutlery organizer comes in a plastic sleeve.

Jeep Wrangler JL 2-door Storage ideas. uLm1Vh2

Pic 2: The saddle bags are heavy duty and very well constructed.

Pic 3: I love the classic plaid lining. Reminds me of my Baracuta G4 jacket.

Pic 4: Although it doesn't say so explicitly, I'm assuming the bags are made in India. Materials and construction are top notch.

Pic 5 and 6: Installation is a snap and takes literally only a minute or two with a T-50 ratchet.

Pic 7: The cutlery keeper will be a breeze to install and will no doubt prove handy!

Thanks so much for the pics, write-up, and for being the guinea pig with purchasing these bags @Myron, they look awesome! I've got the black leather interior so I've been leaning towards the black version, but the tan looks really good too.

I noticed that you have your rear seat removed. Any concerns with the bags taking up too much elbow room for back seat passengers, or getting in the way for someone getting into the back seat? They may actually make a nice arm rest for anyone sitting in the back seat.

By the way, that tailgate bag looks pretty sweet too! I don't have a tailgate table, but I may have to start saving to get one of those as well just to hold some tools.

Myron

First Name
Myron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@BadAssBumbleBee yep, I took my backseat out as our kiddo is grown and it'll just be the two of us (or him and a friend when he's lucky) taking this Jeep on outings and trips. That said, I cannot imagine that the bags being in place would interfere with backseat passengers' comfort at all. They are very carefully designed to be 100% supported by the wheel arch and don't protrude into the main volume of the cabin area at all.

And as you note, they might even make a decent arm rest if you filled them with something. In fact, I could totally see them being perfect cubbies for your backseat passengers' oddments, like fleece pullovers, phones, water bottles, etc etc.

Tell you what, though, having all that tan-colored stuff back there actually makes me want to put the backseat back in just to have the complete look. It's so easy to remove and replace; I've only had the Jeep for a month and haven't decided yet what its day-to-day configuration will be.

I love these things!

jscherb

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU, 2006 LJ, 2006 Wrangler Pickup
Here are some more Overland Outfitters storage solutions for the JL - an HD Molle tailgate panel in the same canvas and leather as the products mentioned above, they also have leather and canvas bags to hang on it...

JLTailgatePanel_zpsuirinnwf.jpg

BadAssBumbleBee

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@BadAssBumbleBee yep, I took my backseat out as our kiddo is grown and it'll just be the two of us (or him and a friend when he's lucky) taking this Jeep on outings and trips. That said, I cannot imagine that the bags being in place would interfere with backseat passengers' comfort at all. They are very carefully designed to be 100% supported by the wheel arch and don't protrude into the main volume of the cabin area at all.

And as you note, they might even make a decent arm rest if you filled them with something. In fact, I could totally see them being perfect cubbies for your backseat passengers' oddments, like fleece pullovers, phones, water bottles, etc etc.

Tell you what, though, having all that tan-colored stuff back there actually makes me want to put the backseat back in just to have the complete look. It's so easy to remove and replace; I've only had the Jeep for a month and haven't decided yet what its day-to-day configuration will be.

I love these things!
Thanks for the additional feedback. I was hoping that these bags would be exactly as you've described them.

In the past I've always relied on at least one Bestop saddle bag and either a Tuffy Tailgate Security Enclosure or Bestop / Mopar Instatrunk for storage in my Jeeps. I think the Sherpa Saddle bags are going to give me the additional storage I've been missing in the JL.

Over the last 30 years or so, I've owned 2 YJ's ('88 & '95), an '06 TJ Rubi, 2 JK Rubies ('09 & '12), and now the '19 JLR. They've all been 2 doors so I think it's safe to say that I love these things too :)

James202198

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JLU Willys
Occupation
F&I Manager at Jeep Dealership
Vehicle Showcase
Hi all. 2-door Rubicon here. I've been searching endlessly for some creative storage ideas, specifically for the wheel well areas in the rear seating area. I've seen the Fishbone Wheelwell bins, but I keep hoping to find something that would be more contained and 'closeable'. I like the idea of not losing visibility with the wheelwell vs. saddlebag idea.

Any other ideas? Thanks
I did this in my JLU Willys today…
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...ou-do-to-your-jeep-jl-today.3033/post-1664011
Sponsored