Power Steering Issues?!

Jteakus

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ecodiesel Unlimited Rubicon
Jeep “Cares” about sales and satisfying the Government. This is my 4th Jeep and they are all just good starting points, you have to correct all the problems ENGINEERED into them. I was hoping this one would be different, but it is not.
Sponsored

Dasher320

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 CJ7, 2003 TJ, 2020 JLUR
Occupation
Pilot
Vehicle Showcase
I got the power steering system hot message 3 miles into Black Bear yesterday--it was 60 degrees outside and the coolant system was fine. I pulled over and let it cool off for about 10 minutes and never got the message again, but it was hard as hell to turn a few times. I'm on 37's.

Jeep It

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S in Firecracker Red
dealer in Colorado was Grand Junction Chrysler Dodge Jeep, that's where I met Joe(Kosinar) as he was having the same issues and drove himself all the way from Moab to get his checked out, he was told as was I that it was not an issue and nothing was wrong.. The dealer in Florida that I got to eventually change my pump out was Jerry Ulm. When they handed me back the keys it was exactly the same as if nothing was done?! So I don't know if nothing was done(1), the pump is not the problem(2), or if the pump that was installed was bad also(3). Maybe Jeep Cares could chime in here?
Thanks for the follow up, never dealt with the dealer in Grand Junction. Hope you get this sorted soon.

kosinar

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Black JLUR 3.0 EcoDiesel received 3/6/20
Just like Toniagp I have a diesel JL and had few scares with locked up steering. First time on Elephant Hill trail. Less than 1 mile on it I was on narrow ledge and needed to steer left and I couldn't. It took a lot of back and forward to free it. I managed to find the place where I could turn around and aborted trail. I took it to dealer 2.5 hour drive away next day. It was the waste of time. Next time when I went down hells gate on Hells Revenge trail. I was about 20 yards down the steep crack hells gate is when it locked up again. This time I could not wiggle myself free. I was alternating between flipping jeep over on the right or laying it against rock wall on the left. My wife was watching me from above and screaming hysterically every time I tried to move. There was no one on that part of the trail to get help. Finally tour jeep noticed me from distance and came over to see what trouble I was in. He pulled me back enough to allow my steering to move so I could back up out of there. Not sure if this is diesel specific problem but I will explore some solution to it. Jeep will not do anything for while since there is only few diesel wranglers out there. The most people will not experience this problem. It is revealed only during off-roading with large tires and on high traction surfaces like Moab type rock.

Jteakus

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Steering doesn’t have enough power. Can’t increase pump pressure or add a ram. The extra weight of the diesel on the tires doesn’t help either. Hopefully the aftermarket will come to the rescue with a traditional pump and steering box

Sponsored

OP
OP
Toniagp

Toniagp

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S 3.0 EcoDiesel
Vehicle Showcase
Just like Toniagp I have a diesel JL and had few scares with locked up steering. First time on Elephant Hill trail. Less than 1 mile on it I was on narrow ledge and needed to steer left and I couldn't. It took a lot of back and forward to free it. I managed to find the place where I could turn around and aborted trail. I took it to dealer 2.5 hour drive away next day. It was the waste of time. Next time when I went down hells gate on Hells Revenge trail. I was about 20 yards down the steep crack hells gate is when it locked up again. This time I could not wiggle myself free. I was alternating between flipping jeep over on the right or laying it against rock wall on the left. My wife was watching me from above and screaming hysterically every time I tried to move. There was no one on that part of the trail to get help. Finally tour jeep noticed me from distance and came over to see what trouble I was in. He pulled me back enough to allow my steering to move so I could back up out of there. Not sure if this is diesel specific problem but I will explore some solution to it. Jeep will not do anything for while since there is only few diesel wranglers out there. The most people will not experience this problem. It is revealed only during off-roading with large tires and on high traction surfaces like Moab type rock.
Great explanation of our problem Joe! I’m going to a different dealer again next week too see if I get a different answer

Jteakus

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Now this is getting interesting.

Jteakus

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’ve got my first oil change scheduled, I will report my problem and see where it leads

Jteakus

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Sponsored

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Jeep “Cares” about sales and satisfying the Government. This is my 4th Jeep and they are all just good starting points, you have to correct all the problems ENGINEERED into them. I was hoping this one would be different, but it is not.
Stupid statements. All of your engineering degrees make you know better than the real engineers that have to shake their heads every day at the back yard mechanics "fixes" that are made on Jeeps.

kosinar

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Black JLUR 3.0 EcoDiesel received 3/6/20
Now this is getting interesting.
Like I stated. I suspect that most people will not experience this problem. It is specific to certain conditions. Side load on large aired down tires and grippy surface. Or it could be effecting only some Jeeps. Maybe diesels? Time will show if it is wide spread issue or not. Right now only few diesels out there actually doing some serious off-roading. I wheeled Colorado for two weeks every day and never had this problem.
Sponsored