Sponsored

Diesel Burns oil

jakebrake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 wrangler rubicon recon
8800...you have changed that oil, right.

I drive a kw with a paccar. At 6500 mi, 5 quarts low....like clockwork.

Just saying.
Sponsored

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

im a noobie with the works of the diesel. how the heck do you get oil in the coolant? same as a blown head gasket but the high compression pushes oil into the coolant instead of the coolant into the cylinder? sorry to hear that. hopefully you get squared away quick!

carlhenry

First Name
carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 wrangler jl 2.0
most likely the oil cooler failed these engines are prone 2 failure

carlhenry

First Name
carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 wrangler jl 2.0
Based on exactly what information? The Gen 3 engine hasnā€™t been out long enough to be ā€˜proneā€™ to much of anything yet except making their owners smile -
check out eco diesel.com all kind of failures wake up boy

Sponsored

SSWIM

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too Many
A quart and a half at 8800 miles. I assume you had not checked the oil previously. Be interesting to see what the dealer has to say. Did you check the oil when new?

Sam

Oilburner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps
check out eco diesel.com all kind of failures wake up boy
Not sure if you are trying to say ecodieselram.com or ram1500diesel.com but oil cooler failures are known in the Gen 2 engine in the Ram pickup prior to 2018 or so. Never heard of it happening in a Grand Cherokee V2 btw I had one for well over 100K miles & frequent several forums for them.
I have not heard of a single oil cooler related issue with the GENERATION THREE engine in the Wrangler (or Ram). Reading is important - I am not saying there aren't any, but your broad-brushing the issue is spreading false information at the least.

carlhenry

First Name
carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 wrangler jl 2.0
Not sure if you are trying to say ecodieselram.com or ram1500diesel.com but oil cooler failures are known in the Gen 2 engine in the Ram pickup prior to 2018 or so. Never heard of it happening in a Grand Cherokee V2 btw I had one for well over 100K miles & frequent several forums for them.
I have not heard of a single oil cooler related issue with the GENERATION THREE engine in the Wrangler (or Ram). Reading is important - I am not saying there aren't any, but your broad-brushing the issue is spreading false information at the least.
the egr system is having problems aka the new dual egr that system was used by various engine builders and it failed miserably they have had engine failures in the ram 1500 already i owned a few eco diesels all tuned and never had a problem but i tuned them when they were new 0 miles most people dont have the balls 2 do it..........you have 2 get out in the world and read more

OP
OP
EcoDRubi1

EcoDRubi1

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl eco diesel. 2020 gladiator
This isn't your grandpa's diesel, it shouldn't burn or lose any oil, if it makes oil or burns oil take it in and don't guess about it because it isn't your problem its the warranties problem. Top it off and take it in.
Right. Dealer is working on it. Trying to get some answers.
Any update?
Its in the shop now. They want to change oil and track consumption of oil.

Sponsored

Yogi

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
GM, P.Log, CITT, 310T
8800...you have changed that oil, right.

I drive a kw with a paccar. At 6500 mi, 5 quarts low....like clockwork.

Just saying.
Come on ... let's be honest ... if you're driving anything with a Paccar in it, your spending more time in the shop than you are on the road right??? ... LOL

Seriously though, if you have water in the oil, or oil in the water, or fuel anywhere but in the fuel system, there is a problem. Diesels don't tend to tolerate that stuff very well. In all likelihood, some sort of manufacturer's defect and warranty should take care of it.

Big diesels, like the 13 litre Paccar @jakebrake runs, or the 15 and 16 litre Detroits that I run typically have a break in routine embedded right in the ECM. I would think that smaller diesels, especially those built by Cummins, would have the same routine built in, so break in wouldn't be your problem as much as it would be the manufacturer's problem. Just my humble 2 cents worth anyways.

EDIT:
After reading a bit more ... do these things require DEF or are they trying to use an all EGR solution to meet emissions? I don't think anyone has a successful all EGR solution to emissions standards ... didn't work out too well for Navistar or Caterpillar. It cost Navistar hundreds of millions, and took Caterpillar right out of the truck game.

OP
OP
EcoDRubi1

EcoDRubi1

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl eco diesel. 2020 gladiator
Come on ... let's be honest ... if you're driving anything with a Paccar in it, your spending more time in the shop than you are on the road right??? ... LOL

Seriously though, if you have water in the oil, or oil in the water, or fuel anywhere but in the fuel system, there is a problem. Diesels don't tend to tolerate that stuff very well. In all likelihood, some sort of manufacturer's defect and warranty should take care of it.

Big diesels, like the 13 litre Paccar @jakebrake runs, or the 15 and 16 litre Detroits that I run typically have a break in routine embedded right in the ECM. I would think that smaller diesels, especially those built by Cummins, would have the same routine built in, so break in wouldn't be your problem as much as it would be the manufacturer's problem. Just my humble 2 cents worth anyways.

EDIT:
After reading a bit more ... do these things require DEF or are they trying to use an all EGR solution to meet emissions? I don't think anyone has a successful all EGR solution to emissions standards ... didn't work out too well for Navistar or Caterpillar. It cost Navistar hundreds of millions, and took Caterpillar right out of the truck game.
DEF additive

Yogi

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
GM, P.Log, CITT, 310T
DEF additive
That's good to know. DEF is way better than a straight EGR solution (which has yet to work for anyone), but it's not a bullet proof system either.
What we're finding in the trucking industry, regardless of the engine you run, is that DEF issues will eventually crop up. The most common ones are DEF line heaters going on the fritz, and DEF doser and sensors giving up the ghost prematurely. It is not logical to believe that these problems would not occur in smaller diesel versions as the base technology is the same. Essentially all DEF systems are built on the original design developed by Cummins Inc.
Surprisingly though DEF is being phased out in Europe, where DEF originated, as engine design, and ECM technology, gets better and better.
Unfortunately DEF will be with us in North America for the next 20 years (+/-) because the DEF distribution infrastructure still needs to be paid for, and profited on.

FWIW though ... if your lawn is looking a bit shabby in the spring, you can always add some DEF to your watering system to green it up ... LOL

Compression-Ignition

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0 Diesel, 2020 6.7L F350
That's good to know. DEF is way better than a straight EGR solution (which has yet to work for anyone), but it's not a bullet proof system either.
What we're finding in the trucking industry, regardless of the engine you run, is that DEF issues will eventually crop up. The most common ones are DEF line heaters going on the fritz, and DEF doser and sensors giving up the ghost prematurely. It is not logical to believe that these problems would not occur in smaller diesel versions as the base technology is the same. Essentially all DEF systems are built on the original design developed by Cummins Inc.
Surprisingly though DEF is being phased out in Europe, where DEF originated, as engine design, and ECM technology, gets better and better.
Unfortunately DEF will be with us in North America for the next 20 years (+/-) because the DEF distribution infrastructure still needs to be paid for, and profited on.

FWIW though ... if your lawn is looking a bit shabby in the spring, you can always add some DEF to your watering system to green it up ... LOL
Wouldn't that kill it?

carlhenry

First Name
carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 wrangler jl 2.0
no def is urea aka plant food and corrosive when the def tank goes bad its only about 1900.00 mever jump on a new diesel especially a 3.0
Sponsored