Opinions on the manual transmission

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLU Rubicon 6-speed
Are you positive it's in 1st and 2nd? While I get some noises, that particular rattle only happens to me in 3rd or higher. I was sure it happened in 2nd until I specifically started testing. It's irritating in town in 3rd at low speeds
I have only heard it in first and second. I don't know the root cause, but it would be great to resolve it if possible.
Sponsored

opiop

First Name
Toby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport 6 speed Bikini Pearl
Occupation
Software Developer
Are you positive it's in 1st and 2nd? While I get some noises, that particular rattle only happens to me in 3rd or higher. I was sure it happened in 2nd until I specifically started testing. It's irritating in town in 3rd at low speeds
When I get my Jeep back from the dealer later today I'll listen for it again, but yeah I'm pretty sure I get it in lower gears as well. I also hear it in 3rd in lower RPM's too

double0762

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2020 JL Willy's
Occupation
Canyon Independent School District
Vehicle Showcase
Does anyone have a weird rattle when giving your Wrangler gas below ~2k RPM's? Especially in lower gears - If I give it a little bit more gas than normal I hear a rattle coming from the engine area. The noise will happen for a second or two and then go away, but I can reliably recreate the noise. I understand that I shouldn't be giving it too much gas in lower RPMs because that'll "lug" the engine, but I still feel like it shouldn't knock/rattle?

I've heard people talking about knocking and 93 resolving the issue but I'm just worried. I want to keep my Jeep for a long time so I don't want to deal with a blown engine in a few years.
[/QUOTE
Let me start by saying I'm not on one side or the other but I, just filled up with 93 octane to try and see If that would quiet my detonation a bit. I do not care if I get more mpg just want to try and quiet it down a bit between shifting from 1st to 2nd. Have to say so far so good!. It does not detonate at lower rpm now. Mo money at fill up yes, not hearing the detonation while shifting as they say priceless!.

Amaruq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR 6spd
I regularly have it below 2k in my post-recall built ‘20. Have never felt this ratting or detonation. I can even accelerate a decent amount in 6th from 17-1800 rpm.

geem03

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Occupation
RN/ Firefighter
Vehicle Showcase
Does anyone have a weird rattle when giving your Wrangler gas below ~2k RPM's? Especially in lower gears - If I give it a little bit more gas than normal I hear a rattle coming from the engine area. The noise will happen for a second or two and then go away, but I can reliably recreate the noise. I understand that I shouldn't be giving it too much gas in lower RPMs because that'll "lug" the engine, but I still feel like it shouldn't knock/rattle?

I've heard people talking about knocking and 93 resolving the issue but I'm just worried. I want to keep my Jeep for a long time so I don't want to deal with a blown engine in a few years.
Mine does it too.....

Sponsored

jdubya421

First Name
Jakob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2-Door MT V6
Build Thread
Link
It definitely doesn’t have preignition issues, that would be a major problem. Detonation is expected in a heavy vehicle if you’re not in the power band.
My bad, yep, edited the posts with the correct wording.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL

Hi there, we understand your concerns and are always happy to help. If you intend to bring this to the attention of your dealer in the future, feel free to send us a private message for support.

Kathryn
JeepCares

Kluk Ztopolovky

First Name
Kluk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport 2dr Sting Gray manual
I´d get that in pronto. That sounds like exactly the issue the recall is trying to address.
the recall is misdirected into believing the problem is brake hydraulic oil leak into the clutch assembly but the problem is obviously somewhere else when there is no oil loss and the clutch still smells just like burned clutch does

double0762

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2020 JL Willy's
Occupation
Canyon Independent School District
Vehicle Showcase
The biggest improvement to the drivability to my 6-speed was turning Hill Assist off. That resulted in a massive improvement in the clutch feel and how it related to off the line behavior in first and even second gear when rolling slowly.
Tried it and your right. Starting off is smoother with more clutch feel. Not sure why turning off this feature does this but, hooray!! Can anyone explain?

Amaruq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR 6spd
Tried it and your right. Starting off is smoother with more clutch feel. Not sure why turning off this feature does this but, hooray!! Can anyone explain?
I don’t have an answer to that but this also helps reduce the engine pinging on the interstate.

Sponsored

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Whoa whoa whoa wait... what the heck are you talking about? You can turn hill assist off???? Please explain because here is what I thought....
On my wife's AUTO when we pull up to a hill and come to a stop we can take our foot off the brake pedal and the Jeep will stay put. I referred to this as brake assist.
In my STICK Rubi I can do the same thing which admittedly is nice since it's sort of like holding the e-brake in the old day if you were pulling out on a hill.
Could someone please explain how it all works in the manual version. I've been driving sitck off and on for over 30 years and this is the first vehicle where there are days I look like a raging idiot with this clutch.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
the recall is misdirected into believing the problem is brake hydraulic oil leak into the clutch assembly but the problem is obviously somewhere else when there is no oil loss and the clutch still smells just like burned clutch does
The recall is because the clutch can slip and overheat and either blow apart or catch fire. So the solution is a heat shield on the clutch line. Personally I was thinking a better clutch would be in order but clearly I'm an idiot... lol.

beaups

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
Whoa whoa whoa wait... what the heck are you talking about? You can turn hill assist off???? Please explain because here is what I thought....
On my wife's AUTO when we pull up to a hill and come to a stop we can take our foot off the brake pedal and the Jeep will stay put. I referred to this as brake assist.
In my STICK Rubi I can do the same thing which admittedly is nice since it's sort of like holding the e-brake in the old day if you were pulling out on a hill.
Could someone please explain how it all works in the manual version. I've been driving sitck off and on for over 30 years and this is the first vehicle where there are days I look like a raging idiot with this clutch.
It's disabled in the infotainment system on the manual. Afaik when it's enabled it just holds the brakes a bit until the vehicle is moving forward.

unsavory

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR 2.0T Auto, 2019 JLUR V6 Manual (sold)
The biggest improvement to the drivability to my 6-speed was turning Hill Assist off. That resulted in a massive improvement in the clutch feel and how it related to off the line behavior in first and even second gear when rolling slowly.
Unbelievable. I tried this today, and it's like a whole new vehicle. Wouldn't have thought that disabling hill start assist would greatly improve off the line clutch feel, and also slow parking lot speed throttle control.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
It's disabled in the infotainment system on the manual. Afaik when it's enabled it just holds the brakes a bit until the vehicle is moving forward.
OK, so mine is clearly enabled since that is what happens when I'm on a slight hill. My question is how does turning that off help with the clutch on "normal" driving like when you aren't on a hill?
Sponsored