1st oil change for diesel?

Compression-Ignition

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0 Diesel, 2020 6.7L F350
Does anyone have a recommendation for a used oil catcher/container? I'm used to dealing with only 5 quarts and I'd like to upsize/upgrade given the greater oil capacity of the diesel. I was looking at these two, although I'm not sure how much clearance I'll have under the Jeep with 2" lift. I'll be using a Fumoto valve draining through a 1/4" plastic tube so the opening in the catch container can be smallish.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0030VGYWO/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_4?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07SJ8933Q/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_5?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1
I use a 5 gallon oil drip pan with cap.

Buy your oil by the gallon and dump the used oil into the old containers. I have never bought anything fancy to dispose of the oil. Many times when I didn't have enough empty gallon oil jugs I have substituted empty milk jugs.
Sponsored

AZ-Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Unlimited Rubicon Diesel
OP
OP
rickinAZ

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
In addition to the drip pan linked above, I transfer spent oil into this container instead of transfering back into the new oil containers

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...-can/11849/4379853?q=used+oil+container&pos=5

I then bring this back to my local auto parts store for dumping.
That’s the one I use now but the cap is not as secure as I’d like. I figured I’d go with a smaller opening (with a more traditional cap) since the use of tubing allows me to direct the flow more accurately. I was hoping to use only one container to both capture and transport the used oil.

LowBama

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silver JL
Occupation
Engineer
Have you looked at the Fumoto?
I did, but someone on here recommenced the Femco and I think it might be a better design. They could only match the Ram pan though. I would guess they use the same plug so the same model should fit wrangler. I hate to guess though.

OP
OP
rickinAZ

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
You're right - that looks like a worthy alternative. Just in case you haven't used one before, I find that the ones that work with a piece of plastic tubing are totally mess free. It looks like only one of their valves can accommodate a tube, but I might be wrong.

Also, don't miss the locking lever on the Fumoto as a safety feature.

You can't go wrong with either one.

Sponsored

19JTRubiconEcoDiesel

First Name
JoLHY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.8JKUX6MHD, 3.6JLUR6MPT, Deciding/waiting on Sarge JTRD or JTR4xe

19JTRubiconEcoDiesel

First Name
JoLHY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I been using EZDrain with L-extension for clear tubes directly to container mentioned.

19JTRubiconEcoDiesel

First Name
JoLHY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
But that's for my OM642 engines.

USMC0311

First Name
Oslo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU diesel Rubicon
Does anyone know the size of the diesels oil plug? I’m looking at different drain valve replacements and need the size. Thanks!

13mm

Sponsored

40”JLURD

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Unlimited Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Bad Mother Fucker
It may be an old wives tale, but I believe that more frequent oil changes are beneficial - or, at least can't hurt. My dad always said it was the cheapest insurance you can buy. Also, I always perform an initial oil change at 1,000 miles.

Am I the only one left who "over" changes his oil? Are people planning to go the full 10,000 miles?
Nope you certainly are not my friend. I broke my motor in hard on the Dyno as you know... lol...

I thought about changing it at 500 miles but decided on going in for the first of 4 free oil changes at 1,000 miles (before I saw your thread). These diesels are very expensive change the oil on, but all the fine metal particles from having broke in a new motor... I myself don’t want those in there any longer than need be.

I was also thinking of doing the second oil change a little early at 4,000 miles, and then probably every 7,500 after that

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
For the guy who asked, I'm using a Fumoto valve. The one I used is shown in this video.

LowBama

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silver JL
Occupation
Engineer
Awsome watching that video is what got me down this rabbit hole. Another thread got me on the femco. Thanks!

OP
OP
rickinAZ

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Bought my filter on Amazon for $50 (dealer charges $129 for the exact same filter). Valvoline is $23.84 for 5 quarts (also Amazon). I like to use Amazon because I can look up any of my purchases back to the beginning of time, and that serves as my documentation of oil changes for warranty purposes. The Fumoto will make my next oil change much easier. I don't plan to use my free oil changes.

My DIY oil change costs $103 + tax

TIP: the dealer told me that the oil filter is susceptible to kicking out low oil pressure warnings if you don't properly smear oil on both filter gaskets to enhance the seal. [don't ask]

Rolling heavy

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 honda civic si coupe, 2017 honda civic EXLHB,
"Why do it if it is free?"

If I perform the oil change myself (which I do), I can be certain a high-quality oil, full synthetic is used - as well as a good oil filter. That peace of mind is worth more to me than a free oil change.

Hunter
Dealer uses OEM parts and FCA recommended syn 5-40 oil. Maintenance is covered for three years you're wasting your money
Sponsored