Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 3.0 Diesel - Firecracker Red
Occupation
Retired USN
Wow, I can’t believe it!

I made my third visit to the dealer to discuss the issue with the play in my steering. The first time I took it to the dealer the service technician took the vehicle for a test drive, then returned and said “it was normal” for a jeep. I told him play in the steering shouldn’t be normal and asked him to create a star report. Which he said he would do. A few weeks later I went back and asked to talk to the service tech to see if anything had come out of the star report. He wasn’t in at the time, so I was told he would call me the next day. Unsurprising, he never called back and I was too busy to go back to the dealer. Well, today I had business near the dealer so I stopped by and asked to speak to the tech. The service writer said ok and went to find him. A few minutes later another person came to me and introduced himself as the service manager. He told me he wanted to take my jeep for a drive to check out my steering issue.

Oh, before I even talked to the service writer, I noticed a new 2020 JLU Sahara on the lot, so I checked it out to see if the door was unlocked. It was, so I opened the driver’s door and rotated the steering wheel. There was absolutely zero play. Now I know that wranglers can have normal steering.

As the manager and I walked up to my jeep, he was asking me about the play in the steering. I told him there was about ½” of play either way, so about 1” of play. Then I told him that I can show him without even starting the vehicle. Without starting my jeep I showed him how the steering wheel can be moved left and right about ½” and the front tires do not move. He acted surprised that the play was noticeable without starting or driving the vehicle. Well, he did take it for a drive and commented that it does wonder and is difficult to keep straight due to the play in the steering.

So, long story short (too late), he ordered a new steering box, which should be in sometime tomorrow. He also mentioned that he has had other Wrangler owners complain about their steering.

Maybe FCA has realized that there are too many people complaining about the wrangler’s steering issues, so they decided to allow their dealers to admit that loose steering isn’t normal. LOL…yeah right!

Hopefully the new steering box will fix my steering issue.
Sponsored

sonchik

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Rubicon 2018
Wow, I can’t believe it!

I made my third visit to the dealer to discuss the issue with the play in my steering. The first time I took it to the dealer the service technician took the vehicle for a test drive, then returned and said “it was normal” for a jeep. I told him play in the steering shouldn’t be normal and asked him to create a star report. Which he said he would do. A few weeks later I went back and asked to talk to the service tech to see if anything had come out of the star report. He wasn’t in at the time, so I was told he would call me the next day. Unsurprising, he never called back and I was too busy to go back to the dealer. Well, today I had business near the dealer so I stopped by and asked to speak to the tech. The service writer said ok and went to find him. A few minutes later another person came to me and introduced himself as the service manager. He told me he wanted to take my jeep for a drive to check out my steering issue.

Oh, before I even talked to the service writer, I noticed a new 2020 JLU Sahara on the lot, so I checked it out to see if the door was unlocked. It was, so I opened the driver’s door and rotated the steering wheel. There was absolutely zero play. Now I know that wranglers can have normal steering.

As the manager and I walked up to my jeep, he was asking me about the play in the steering. I told him there was about ½” of play either way, so about 1” of play. Then I told him that I can show him without even starting the vehicle. Without starting my jeep I showed him how the steering wheel can be moved left and right about ½” and the front tires do not move. He acted surprised that the play was noticeable without starting or driving the vehicle. Well, he did take it for a drive and commented that it does wonder and is difficult to keep straight due to the play in the steering.

So, long story short (too late), he ordered a new steering box, which should be in sometime tomorrow. He also mentioned that he has had other Wrangler owners complain about their steering.

Maybe FCA has realized that there are too many people complaining about the wrangler’s steering issues, so they decided to allow their dealers to admit that loose steering isn’t normal. LOL…yeah right!

It did for me. Hopefully it will be taken care for you too.

Nole_Dynasty

First Name
Seminole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
So I’m going to the service department at the dealer tomorrow. Quick reminder, I have a 20 JLUR with the Mopar 2” suspension and 35” tires all put on by the service department at the dealer (their shop Carolina Customs).

Anything specific I need to point out or bring up? Some have said to ask the caster angle, to request a new steering box, etc. Any and all advice taken, I’ll report back with what they say.

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
So I’m going to the service department at the dealer tomorrow. Quick reminder, I have a 20 JLUR with the Mopar 2” suspension and 35” tires all put on by the service department at the dealer (their shop Carolina Customs).

Anything specific I need to point out or bring up? Some have said to ask the caster angle, to request a new steering box, etc. Any and all advice taken, I’ll report back with what they say.
1. Perform the powers steering reset procedure before you bring it to see if there is a difference.

2. Check torque on all steering and suspension parts.

3. Get an alignment report print out so you can at least document caster, camber, toe, steer ahead, etc.

4. Print out the steering Star case which shows how to check the steering box, confirms that steering and suspension parts torque should be checked, etc.

5. Show up early and test drive another JLUR from the dealer lot so you have something to defend when they say “it’s a Jeep thing” and tell them you want your JL to steer like the one that steers correctly.

6. Test drive with and without the steering stabilizer which people have reported the cause of several different symptoms.

7. Of course verify your tire pressure isn’t way over the door jam of 37PSI. Some say dropping it to 32PSI helps.

Steering Star Case: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...has-play-and-drifts.3691/page-142#post-426243

Torque Specs: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...rangler-jl-steering-related-components.18510/

Power Steering Reset Procedure: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...as-play-and-drifts.3691/page-405#post-1132084

Last edited:

Nole_Dynasty

First Name
Seminole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
1. Perform the powers steering reset procedure before you bring it to see if there is a difference.

2. Check torque on all steering and suspension parts.

3. Get an alignment report print out so you can at least document caster, camber, toe, steer ahead, etc.

4. Print out the steering Star case which shows how to check the steering box, confirms that steering and suspension parts torque should be checked, etc.

5. Show up early and test drive another JLUR from the dealer lot so you have something to defend when they say “it’s a Jeep thing” and tell them you want your JL to steer like the one that steers correctly.

6. Test drive with and without the steering stabilizer which people have reported the cause of several different symptoms.

Steering Star Case: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...has-play-and-drifts.3691/page-142#post-426243

Torque Specs: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...rangler-jl-steering-related-components.18510/

Power Steering Reset Procedure: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...as-play-and-drifts.3691/page-405#post-1132084
You’re the man! I’ll do the power steering reset tonight after I put the kids to bed and report back.

Sponsored

Nole_Dynasty

First Name
Seminole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Before and after measurements after they adjusted the toe angles. I don’t have the vehicle back yet to see if it made a difference.
Jeep Wrangler JL Loose steering feels like it has play and drifts E93B86E5-8DE1-44EB-9830-9DE2CDF58B08

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Before and after measurements after they adjusted the toe angles. I don’t have the vehicle back yet to see if it made a difference.
Jeep Wrangler JL Loose steering feels like it has play and drifts E93B86E5-8DE1-44EB-9830-9DE2CDF58B08
The total toe is the same. There is only one adjustment for toe that my research indicates (someone chime in if there is a way to adjust left toe from right toe unless you just bump it while it is on the alignment equipment which is temporary). Adjusting steer ahead could pull in one tire more than the other because the adjustment is on the far left so that might of affected left toe vs right toe. Now the steer ahead is way better. But that just straightens the steering wheel. What were the specific steering symptoms? And what else have you tried? Many on the forum changed the LCAs to the Mopar extended LCAs to get one additional degree of caster angle which would bring yours to just over 6 which would be very good.

LCA info: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/mopar-lca-swap.22474/

Last edited:

Nole_Dynasty

First Name
Seminole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
The total toe is the same. There is only one adjustment for toe that my research indicates (someone chime in if there is a way to adjust left toe from right toe unless you just bump it while it is on the alignment equipment which is temporary). Adjusting steer ahead could pull in one tire more than the other because the adjustment is on the far left so that might of affected left toe vs right toe. Now the steer ahead is way better. But that just straightens the steering wheel. What were the specific steering symptoms? And what else have you tried? Many on the forum changed the LCAs to the Mopar extended LCAs to get one additional degree of caster angle which would bring yours to just over 6 which would be very good.

LCA info: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/mopar-lca-swap.22474/
Steering Symptoms: Had a 1" dead spot in each direction (2" net total dead spot). I had a constant sawing motion (back and forth) to keep it straight on the highway. I don't feel safe driving it on the highway.

Mopar Extended LCA's: Note that I had the dealer install the Mopar 2" lift kit which I'm fairly certain comes with the exact LCA's that you are referring to (let me know if that's not the case). If I already have these Mopar LCA's, should I opt for longer LCA's or adjustable to try and get more than 5 degrees caster?

Also, AFTER they ran that previously linked report, I took it for a quick spin with the technician and did not notice any difference. To boot, the steering wheel was now NOT straight when it was this morning when I brought it in. :swear: The technician was going to take a look at a few more things but I'm fairly certain they're simply going to say they don't know of a fix. Both the guy I dropped it off with and the technician's first question was if this was my first Jeep so i knew right away where they were headed with that question. :facepalm: I owned a 99 TJ back in college but haven't owned a Wrangler in 15 years.

The technician did recommend airing down the tires to 32 PSI which will of course set off the TPMS alerts which I'd like to avoid... :headbang:

TLDR, brought it in, they made a few tweaks, no change but he was going to try a few more things, whatever that means. Not expecting any difference but I'm curious about longer front LCA's to improve caster.

Robnfl

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 3.0 Diesel - Firecracker Red
Occupation
Retired USN
Wow, I can’t believe it!

Here's a link to my new thread describing my dealings in last last 24 hours with this issue: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/3-bad-steering-boxes-wth-fca.55276/

Sponsored

Nole_Dynasty

First Name
Seminole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
How did the power steering reset procedure go?
Apolgies on that, I didn’t get the chance to do it last night. Assuming the dealer can’t fix anything, I’ll give it a shot later today.

also, I was told the Star report did not apply to me vehicle given it’s a 2020

onc_doc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon Recon
I bought a Rubi Recon 9 weeks ago. Found the exact car I wanted at a dealer 50 miles away.
I didn't test drive it since I had driven a JLUR before.

On my way home it started raining hard. The amount of work I had to do to keep it in a straight line was ridiculous. It was like driving a piece of Jello. The steering wheel was misaligned and the steering of the jeep felt way too loose overallI.

I called the dealer and was instructed to take it in for an alignment. I then went to my local dealer and was told I had to wait until having 500 miles since that's what FCA instructed them.

I returned to the dealer with 500 miles. Supposedly the car was aligned (didn't get a printout report), and was told that "it drives like a jeep".

I won't let my wife drive it, that's how unsafe it feels to me. At HW speeds, it takes a lot of work to keep it from drifting away and to make it go straight. I also have a lot of play in the steering wheel.

Thanks to this forum & thread, I since upgraded to a yeti track bar, which made things 80% better. However, the steering play remains. The dealer keeps saying "that's a jeep thing"... . I have 5 service visits (~1 week of my 9 weeks of ownership) since new...!

Your thoughts?

JDM

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara Unlimited
Depending on the nature of the roads in your area the cross caster is incorrect.

Cross caster should be +.25*+.5* more on one side or the other. If most of the roads that you drive on are higher in the center and lower by the shoulder then there should be more caster on the right of your Jeep... there is less on the right and a quarter degree difference in cross caster can be significant. If the road crown is high on the center, more +caster on the left, as in this case, would produce a strong pull to the right that you would fight by turning your wheel to the left.

The more caster, over all, that you have the more feedback you will get from the road surface. So it’s a balancing act. Regardless +5* caster on a Jeep is not enough. Mine is at +7*L/+7.25R. The tracking and cornering is unreal! The trade off is that I have more feedback from the road surface perhaps a little more than some would like. If that is the case then I would reduce the Caster to +6.25L/+6.75R.

The other benefit that I have now is that the dead spot is still there but far more manageable. Far, far fewer steering inputs on a straight section (want’s to go straight now and self corrects much more readily than before). The feedback on cornering is tactile and precise. So if I there‘s a little more “roughness” as the front takes bumps, that trade off is more than OK with me.

As far as the dead spot... The stock Jeep steering system is... unacceptable. Eventually I will be replacing the system in my JLU if I decide to keep it long term. In the meantime, the adjustable LCA’s have bought me time and a pleasurable driving experience.

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I bought a Rubi Recon 9 weeks ago. Found the exact car I wanted at a dealer 50 miles away.
I didn't test drive it since I had driven a JLUR before.

On my way home it started raining hard. The amount of work I had to do to keep it in a straight line was ridiculous. It was like driving a piece of Jello. The steering wheel was misaligned and the steering of the jeep felt way too loose overallI.

I called the dealer and was instructed to take it in for an alignment. I then went to my local dealer and was told I had to wait until having 500 miles since that's what FCA instructed them.

I returned to the dealer with 500 miles. Supposedly the car was aligned (didn't get a printout report), and was told that "it drives like a jeep".

I won't let my wife drive it, that's how unsafe it feels to me. At HW speeds, it takes a lot of work to keep it from drifting away and to make it go straight. I also have a lot of play in the steering wheel.

Thanks to this forum & thread, I since upgraded to a yeti track bar, which made things 80% better. However, the steering play remains. The dealer keeps saying "that's a jeep thing"... . I have 5 service visits (~1 week of my 9 weeks of ownership) since new...!

Your thoughts?
Did you do the items on the list at https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...like-it-has-play-and-drifts.3691/post-1198153. especially #1?

Be sure to test drive the same trim mod try l at your dealer so you can tell them you want yours to drive like the reference JL.
Sponsored