Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Here is the very first look at AFe’s CAI prototype for the diesel. I just picked up my Jeep this morning and so far I really like it. I do not notice any sound difference inside the cabin.

Now it’s hard to compare the feeling before and after since I’ve been driving a rental all week, what I can say is when I step on it, it really feels that it is pulling stronger. (Could be all in my mind) They did Baseline dyno rubs and post CAI install. Once they send those over to me I will post results
Jeep Wrangler JL AFe CAI for diesel JL 64928EE9-A94F-407E-ACF1-2E995059B8DF
Jeep Wrangler JL AFe CAI for diesel JL B87D7047-F8AC-48E7-915E-0E66D9E32356
Jeep Wrangler JL AFe CAI for diesel JL 6466A67C-CC98-45B5-814C-A9A234831F2D
Sponsored

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
Wishing a snorkel would hit the market.

Andy-jr.

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 White JKU, 2012 Black JK 2018 White Grand Cherokee, 2001 TJ, 2020 JLUR EcoDiesel
Vehicle Showcase
Looks good, keep us updated on this. It's always good to see new products coming out for the 3.0.

Sponsored

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase

TomahawkChop

First Name
Jerid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JKUR
Here is the very first look at AFe’s CAI prototype for the diesel. I just picked up my Jeep this morning and so far I really like it. I do not notice any sound difference inside the cabin.

Now it’s hard to compare the feeling before and after since I’ve been driving a rental all week, what I can say is when I step on it, it really feels that it is pulling stronger. (Could be all in my mind) They did Baseline dyno rubs and post CAI install. Once they send those over to me I will post results
Jeep Wrangler JL AFe CAI for diesel JL Capture.JPG
you ever get those dyno sheets?

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
On most vehicles they add a pleasing ominous growl - I've installed CAIs on two different vehicles myself. That said I've followed CAIs for years and have never seen an instance of increased power. Like free-flowing exhausts on modern vehicles, they add a aural component that is satisfying on its own, but don't expect more than perceptional horsepower and you'll be happy. They look great as well.

You really need something like the ram air hoods from the 60s to get a true power increase. Manufacturers don't leave much to improve on these days.

Compression-Ignition

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0 Diesel, 2020 6.7L F350
On most vehicles they add a pleasing ominous growl - I've installed CAIs on two different vehicles myself. That said I've followed CAIs for years and have never seen an instance of increased power. Like free-flowing exhausts on modern vehicles, they add a aural component that is satisfying on its own, but don't expect more than perceptional horsepower and you'll be happy. They look great as well.

You really need something like the ram air hoods from the 60s to get a true power increase. Manufacturers don't leave much to improve on these days.
That's not true with diesels. Within the HD pickup truck segment 150-200 additional rear wheel horsepower is often a tune away. I'd imagine with a 3.0L diesel it would be close to half that at 75-100 hp.

So apples and oranges here talking about a CAI and a tune. But I was more going after the statement that manufacturers don't leave room for improvement. It's been a while, but I recall back in the day some dyno runs on diesels that added CAI's and they picked up some decent gains.

So while your statement is certainly true in most cases, I think Diesel's can break that trend more often than not.

Sponsored

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
On the 2020 Ram application, the Gen 3 EcoDiesel has ductwork that pulls "cold" air from the grille. The idea, I suppose, is that as you're driving the engine is ingesting fresh air from outside.

I've been doing some testing lately with my Scangauge II monitoring intake air temperatures. I tested the truck with the factory ductwork snorkel installed and saw intake air temps that were 2-3 degrees F above ambient temps. I did this around town and also on the highway with cruise control set to speed limit. While driving, 2-3 degrees was the difference. When stopped for a red light, the gap would increase to 6-8 degrees.

Then, I removed the ductwork and let the airbox run with nothing attached to it. Just a big gaping hole that you can look into and see the air filter inside. VERY similar to what these aftermarket CAI kits are offering. What I found then is that while driving, intake air temps were 2-3 degrees higher than ambient, EXACTLY the same as when pulling air from the grille area. Clearly there is still airflow into the engine bay. While stopped at a red light, temps would rise more quickly and might go 10-15 degrees above ambient pretty fast, which is what I'd expect since now it's drawing air from inside the engine bay. But, as soon as I take off and start driving again the temps rapidly decrease back to 2-3 degrees difference.

What I'm learning here is that while driving, it really doesn't seem to matter where the intake air is coming from. It's going to be the same temperature when it hits the MAF sensor regardless of where you pull it from. Therefore, power gains are going to be ZERO from temperature. However, there still could be a little bit of a gain from making it easier to ingest that air.

At the end of the day, paying hundreds of dollars for a CAI is a complete waste of money especially when you're giving up the factory filter that traps more particulate, dust, and dirt to do so.

gijohn56

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD
You don't make power by cooler air you make it by how much air you add to the mix. so most CAI systems allow more air to flow then the stock filter set up. the more air you get into the cylinder the more power you get. now if it is cooler then even more power is made up to a point. when it gets to cold then it has to be heated to be viable. Most stock system do an excellent job of all the things needed to make max power.

OP
OP
Cwu21

Cwu21

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
still waiting, they had to do a couple revisions due to having the CEL light popping off. I believe they got that fixed and I would think I should see something soon. They also got the exhaust coming as well.

on a side note they were working on their scorcher tuner and asked if I want one. I am really not familiar with theirs but I figured I’d give it a test and see if it really performs

beaups

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
You don't make power by cooler air you make it by how much air you add to the mix. so most CAI systems allow more air to flow then the stock filter set up. the more air you get into the cylinder the more power you get. now if it is cooler then even more power is made up to a point. when it gets to cold then it has to be heated to be viable. Most stock system do an excellent job of all the things needed to make max power.
Lol

Sydwaiz

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD, 73 CJ-5
still waiting, they had to do a couple revisions due to having the CEL light popping off. I believe they got that fixed and I would think I should see something soon. They also got the exhaust coming as well.

on a side note they were working on their scorcher tuner and asked if I want one. I am really not familiar with theirs but I figured I’d give it a test and see if it really performs
So AFE is working on a filter back exhaust AND tuner!? Sweet, I'm in! I'm hoping some other companies like Banks, S&B, PPE, etc. start coming out with more stuff for the JL diesel. I'm running S&B cai and PPE tuner on my Duramax and the gains are insane from a tune alone.
Sponsored