Sponsored

Rough Country Lifts

Boone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I am new to the Jeep world somewhat. I buy and sell vehicles quite often. I had a 09 Jeep unlimited x and had a rough country lift on it and had zero complaints. I have also had several trucks with rough country lifts and have never had any problems out of them. I am curious why a lot of people in the Jeep world are not fans of them. I have recently purchased a new rubicon and am thinking of putting the 2.5” rough country suspension lift on it. It seems as if all I can find are jeeps with the mopar 2” lift or the dynatrac lift. My dealer says they will put the rough country 2.5” suspension lift on for under $700. That’s half the price of the mopar lift not including labor. I am also curious if anyone has put the 2.5” rough country suspension lift on and kept their stock rubicon wheels and put 35’s and had problems with rubbing without wheel spacers. I forgot to add that I am not doing any serious off-roading and have never done any serious off-roading with rough country lifts.
Sponsored

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
I am new to the Jeep world somewhat. I buy and sell vehicles quite often. I had a 09 Jeep unlimited x and had a rough country lift on it and had zero complaints. I have also had several trucks with rough country lifts and have never had any problems out of them. I am curious why a lot of people in the Jeep world are not fans of them. I have recently purchased a new rubicon and am thinking of putting the 2.5” rough country suspension lift on it. It seems as if all I can find are jeeps with the mopar 2” lift or the dynatrac lift. My dealer says they will put the rough country 2.5” suspension lift on for under $700. That’s half the price of the mopar lift not including labor. I am also curious if anyone has put the 2.5” rough country suspension lift on and kept their stock rubicon wheels and put 35’s and had problems with rubbing without wheel spacers. I forgot to add that I am not doing any serious off-roading and have never done any serious off-roading with rough country lifts.
there’s a lot going on here so I’ll do my best to hit everything. I don’t mean to sound snooty or whatever and I’m not one of those guys that say “you spent 50k on a Jeep and want to cheap out on the lift” however, the old saying of you get what you pay for rings painfully true here.

The only place for products like rough country and many others have in my shop is the trash. I never do this but between the rough country and mopar, go mopar 100%. There’s some that pop up on ebay or amazon that are brand new selling from around 1k. You’ll need to add a front track bar too.

I cringe when folks tell me they want to keep the “good” factory ride. The factory ride sucks frankly. We are nearly exclusive with metalcloak and rock krawler. These lifts are the ones that improve the ride significantly. The killer is that not only do they perform excellent off road, their on road ride is far improved.

if you flip vehicles regularly, It’s certainly hard to justify having a quality lift installed so that’s something to consider. You typically don’t get the ROI percentage you would buy doing a lower end lift. It’s the same story at the dealership. They charge 10k for wheels tires and a subpar lift they all in they are around 3k or less. It looks good and that’s all folks see. The dealer could spend 6-7k and have a very nice product that rides incredible but loose out on to much markup.

for tire, 35s on stock wheels are generally fine. The big concern when you lift it is the rear sway bars more times than not. With the RK front arms, you can get some rubbing since they gigantic and that’ll require some spacers or wheels with the correct back space.

steer clear of the dynatrack. The cool bag isn’t worth it. At least with the mopar they try to correct caster with some longer control arms.

brett

Outlawd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 punk'n Rubicon unlimited, 1968 Plymouth GTX, 1969 Coronet R/T 440 BDS 871 blower 900hp
I installed a Rough Country 6" lift in my Dodge Ram 2500 4 door truck. I was impressed how heavy built the components were. I drove that truck for several years lifted with zero issues. Very good lift kits, the ride was good, the performance on and off road was excellent. I'd put another RC in if I was to lift another vehicle. Jmho.

OP
OP
Boone

Boone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I’m sorry for being all over the place. I probably have enough questions for separate threads. What I should’ve put was that I am wanting to lift my Jeep but actually like the rims that came on it and don’t want to run wheel spacers. I’ve seen post from others not having to run wheel spacers with stock rims but none of them were this specific lift. And then in the other thread I should’ve asked about rough country lifts. All I’ve really seen on here are people running the rough country lifts with spacers. And in several post I have seen people putting down rough country all together.

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

im not sure how its much it will rub but the rubi's are meant to have 35" tires with zero to minimal rub. now if you where in a sport then yes you would need new wheels or spacers due to the short axles. as for rough country i cannot say ive used them for a lift. most my trucks i have lifted in the past have been CST.

Sponsored

Miloe

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
My only experience with Rough Country was a 4" kit on a WJ. Once I corrected the death wobble, the lift wasn't horrible, a bit floatie feeling on the highway though.
I know WJ to JL isn't really comparable.

InvertedLogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JTR
steer clear of the dynatrack. The cool bag isn’t worth it. At least with the mopar they try to correct caster with some longer control arms.
Any other thoughts on dynatrac? That one was on my short list knowing that it wasn't complete and that I'd need to add some adjustable links to round it out. I like the idea of a tuned shock spring package. Do you have concerns with it besides it being incomplete by leaving out trackbars and LCAs?

InvertedLogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JTR
My experience with RC was with my TJ. I had a 2.5" suspension lift from RC on there and it rode terribly. The springs were too soft, the shocks were too long and too stiff, and it was kind of half-assed as far as geometry correction. I actually had to warranty two complete sets of coils because they sagged 1.5" over the course of 20k mi. I ended up replacing the whole suspension with OME and MetalCloak components and should have done that from the beginning.

Chrysler-Factory-Warranty

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Mopar Warranty
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.chrysler-factory-warranty.com
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Warranty Sales

I always recommend staying with the Mopar lifts. I know they are not for everyone but generally you can get Mopar to stand behind their products better in the case of a defect.

Hope this helps :) :)

Only Cover Your Jeep Wrangler With A Factory Backed Jeep Extended Warranty.
Buy Direct And Save https://www.chrysler-factory-warranty.com/

whiskey jack

First Name
marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jl
there’s a lot going on here so I’ll do my best to hit everything. I don’t mean to sound snooty or whatever and I’m not one of those guys that say “you spent 50k on a Jeep and want to cheap out on the lift” however, the old saying of you get what you pay for rings painfully true here.

The only place for products like rough country and many others have in my shop is the trash. I never do this but between the rough country and mopar, go mopar 100%. There’s some that pop up on ebay or amazon that are brand new selling from around 1k. You’ll need to add a front track bar too.

I cringe when folks tell me they want to keep the “good” factory ride. The factory ride sucks frankly. We are nearly exclusive with metalcloak and rock krawler. These lifts are the ones that improve the ride significantly. The killer is that not only do they perform excellent off road, their on road ride is far improved.

if you flip vehicles regularly, It’s certainly hard to justify having a quality lift installed so that’s something to consider. You typically don’t get the ROI percentage you would buy doing a lower end lift. It’s the same story at the dealership. They charge 10k for wheels tires and a subpar lift they all in they are around 3k or less. It looks good and that’s all folks see. The dealer could spend 6-7k and have a very nice product that rides incredible but loose out on to much markup.

for tire, 35s on stock wheels are generally fine. The big concern when you lift it is the rear sway bars more times than not. With the RK front arms, you can get some rubbing since they gigantic and that’ll require some spacers or wheels with the correct back space.

brett
It's nice when somebody who knows what they're talking about just shoots straight.

Sponsored

Stuckinthesand

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
You’ll get a 100 different answers here. Whatever kit that person is running is the best in their opinion. Personally I run a 2” rough country spacer lift. Nothing changed ride wise once the lift was put on. I do trails at Roush Creek and AOAA greens and blues and haven’t had a problem yet and still have the stock tires on. Once they are worn I’m going to 35’s. K02s supposedly don’t rub at all on stock rims but you will need a relocation bracket for the spare.

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
Any other thoughts on dynatrac? That one was on my short list knowing that it wasn't complete and that I'd need to add some adjustable links to round it out. I like the idea of a tuned shock spring package. Do you have concerns with it besides it being incomplete by leaving out trackbars and LCAs?
I try not to get high and mighty about lifts because I genuinely care about folks budgets and understand wanting to be aware of how quickly things add up.

Dynatrac lift and others that ride this mentality drive me crazy. You’re buying based off a name that is pretty decent. However, there’s not acceptable excuse they can give me for not addressing caster. this kit could compete with a mopar if they would do what’s right.

it’s like buying a winch but without the line, you thought you’re buying a quality product and technically the winch will roll the drum in and out but it’s not right, what you expected nor is it safe to use

at least mopar has the longer LCA. Would be even better if they included new track bars but it is better than the alternative.

for the Dynatrac price point, check out the true dual lift from metalcloak. Still a sizable investment but it’ll be delivered with everything you need and you won’t have to mix and match to have a nice driving Jeep.

disclaimer, I’ve had to work on JLs with the dynatrac lift that scared the tar outta folks with its poor handling. Owner told me “I though it was just a Jeep thing and I’d get used to it” added come control arms and he was blown away and felt safe driving it again.

brett

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
My dealer says they will put the rough country 2.5” suspension lift on for under $700. That’s half the price of the mopar lift not including labor.
We can understand wanting to keep a tight budget, but an actual "lift kit" (not just spacers) that runs you under a grand with installation isn't going to be a product with any semblance of quality or longevity. Since you mentioned no desire to do any serious off-roading, just go with a simple 2" spacer lift from a more respectable brand like Teraflex. You'll retain most of the factory ride outside of whatever tires you slap on with no changes to OEM parts. It shouldn't take any shop more than an hour to slap those on.

Quality lifts kits are expensive for a reason: there are a lot of parts involved, each with serious engineering, and they're produced in a manner to take repeated beatings. Rough Country does make a lot of cool stuff, but for whatever reason, they've never been able to design and produce a single lift kit that is worth half a shit. Anyone who says their RC lift is awesome either has Stockholm syndrome or is straight up lying to you.

I know they are not for everyone but generally you can get Mopar to stand behind their products better in the case of a defect.
Yeah, but that's if said parts are installed at a dealership. And since most dealerships want to charge damn near a grand in some cases to install a kit that even a monkey could do with hand tools in less than four hours, customers who decide to do it themselves are typically SOL.

A perfect example of this was trying to get the faulty spring isolator with the laughable design flaw replaced back when the JL kit first came out. For those of us that installed it ourselves, Mopar would not replace that part whatsoever. And it was only a $13 part! However, when one of my Fox shocks started leaking, the exact same dealership that told me to pound sand on a cheap piece of plastic had no problems replacing a different part that typically retails for $70-$80. Figure that one out.

"Generally" is being a bit optimistic. I'd say "sometimes" or "rarely" is more accurate. It's ultimately at the discretion of the dealership.

Stuckinthesand

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
Anyone who tells you rough country is crap doesn’t know what they are talking about. Look at these threads and choose for yourself. All these people can’t be lying.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...5-inch-spacer-lift-on-jlur-any-regrets.52216/

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/rough-country-2-5-lift-pics-reviews.6836/

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/rubicon-express-or-rough-country-jl-lift-kit.6521/

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/spacer-lift-for-jlur.32102/

Make up your own mind. Just cause someone doesn’t like a certain product doesn’t mean it’s bad. Do your research.

InvertedLogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JTR
I try not to get high and mighty about lifts because I genuinely care about folks budgets and understand wanting to be aware of how quickly things add up.

Dynatrac lift and others that ride this mentality drive me crazy. You’re buying based off a name that is pretty decent. However, there’s not acceptable excuse they can give me for not addressing caster. this kit could compete with a mopar if they would do what’s right.

it’s like buying a winch but without the line, you thought you’re buying a quality product and technically the winch will roll the drum in and out but it’s not right, what you expected nor is it safe to use

at least mopar has the longer LCA. Would be even better if they included new track bars but it is better than the alternative.

for the Dynatrac price point, check out the true dual lift from metalcloak. Still a sizable investment but it’ll be delivered with everything you need and you won’t have to mix and match to have a nice driving Jeep.

disclaimer, I’ve had to work on JLs with the dynatrac lift that scared the tar outta folks with its poor handling. Owner told me “I though it was just a Jeep thing and I’d get used to it” added come control arms and he was blown away and felt safe driving it again.

brett
So to summarize your issues with the Dynatrac are the fact that they say you don't need geometry correction (you do) and that at the price point it should come with adjustable trackbars and caster correction. Sounds reasonable to me.

That MC kit is compelling at that price point.....I wish that they would recommend shocks (that aren't Rock Sport). Straying off topic slightly, but I have zero desire for more than 2" and I see people getting 4" out of the 2.5" on their JLUR. I wish more companies would release smaller, but complete, lifts with high quality shocks.
Sponsored