Front Trail Camera

Marco#1

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Moab
Well, a camera is a camera. The factory sources the cameras from a third party vendor anyway. And the factory 8.4" radio was designed for a second camera, so you would have a "factory" installation with the Z Automotive camera for under $200, plus programming and cost to install if you're not inclined to do it yourself. (I would do it myself. It's not hard - I added a front camera to my JL without the 8.4" radio by adding a separate monitor for the camera on top of the dash. Yours would be much easier since the camera would plug directly into the back of your 8.4" radio, and you could buy the Tazer Lite programmer for $220 and program it yourself. $400 all in, and no dealership involvement, so you'd know the job was done right.)

But, if you'd rather spend $45k for a 2020 in order to have a "factory" camera, that's your prerogative!
According to Z_Automotive's website, the Tazer JL Lite does not enable the cargo camera setting and thus is not compatible with their camera kits. You'll need the Tazer JL Mini, which is $330, bringing up the total cost to $510 after you purchase the camera for $180. Pretty expensive for SD resolution.
Sponsored

emgeesea

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys
Vehicle Showcase
According to Z_Automotive's website, the Tazer JL Lite does not enable the cargo camera setting and thus is not compatible with their camera kits. You'll need the Tazer JL Mini, which is $330, bringing up the total cost to $510 after you purchase the camera for $180. Pretty expensive for SD resolution.
Maybe just wait for a 2021 Bronco. I hear they’ll have an option for cameras at every wheel. ;)

Marco#1

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Moab
Maybe just wait for a 2021 Bronco. I hear they’ll have an option for cameras at every wheel. ;)
Yeah, all displayed on a curved 17 inch 5k screen with 3D rendering. Lol.

Honestly, I'm happy about the new Bronco. I still prefer my Jeep, but having some competition will push FCA to be more competitive and step up their game. When Jeep and Ford are fighting for the same customers, we win.

emgeesea

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, all displayed on a curved 17 inch 5k screen with 3D rendering. Lol.

Honestly, I'm happy about the new Bronco. I still prefer my Jeep, but having some competition will push FCA to be more competitive and step up their game. When Jeep and Ford are fighting for the same customers, we win.
How do you know you prefer your Jeep without seeing or driving the new Bronco? ;)

From what it looks like, Ford may have hit a home run. I'm a long-time Jeep fan, having owned 4 over the last 33 years, but I'm very curious to see and drive this Bronco. I could be convinced to give up my JL and give it a try!

And I agree, at a minimum the Bronco will force FCA to reconsider their stinginess with the JL. It's a nice step up from my previous JK, but they could have done a lot more.

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
Well, a camera is a camera. The factory sources the cameras from a third party vendor anyway. And the factory 8.4" radio was designed for a second camera, so you would have a "factory" installation with the Z Automotive camera for under $200, plus programming and cost to install if you're not inclined to do it yourself. (I would do it myself. It's not hard - I added a front camera to my JL without the 8.4" radio by adding a separate monitor for the camera on top of the dash. Yours would be much easier since the camera would plug directly into the back of your 8.4" radio, and you could buy the Tazer Lite programmer for $220 and program it yourself. $400 all in, and no dealership involvement, so you'd know the job was done right.)

But, if you'd rather spend $45k for a 2020 in order to have a "factory" camera, that's your prerogative!
You mind sharing the deets on what camera and monitor you are using?

Sponsored

emgeesea

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys
Vehicle Showcase
You mind sharing the deets on what camera and monitor you are using?
This is the camera kit I bought: camera kit

I mounted the monitor on top of the dash, in the cell phone tray on top of the radio:

Jeep Wrangler JL Front Trail Camera IMG_3213

And this is the picture quality:

Jeep Wrangler JL Front Trail Camera IMG_3214

It's not the best quality, but I wanted it for a tight end-to-end parking space, so I could get within an inch of the car in front of me without having to get out to look. I'm not sure how it would be for off-road application.

NekoTruong

First Name
Nhut
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 wrangler