Sponsored

THE FIX FOR LOCKERS: Blinking lights, service axle locker system, lockers wont engage/disengage

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Custom Jeep Builder

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 2021 392 Rubicon
Occupation
Jeep Customizer
Sorry, the post I made inside the other thread is easily missed and this is too important to a lot of you... so here it is.

DOETSCH OFFROAD

There are multiple failures that need addressed:

-Solenoid sensor fills with oil (causes ground faults)
-harness end gets oil in it (causes ground faults)
-internal wiring not fully/properly sheathed and will rub itself raw against the coupler inside the diff (causing ground faults)
-pins pulling loose from harness from overstretching it or poor initial production.

above issues cause the following:

-blinking locker lights
-service locker system message on DIC
-incorrect reading of locker status
-failure of one or both lockers

These issues are more prevalent on vehicles that have been modified/geared. However it can and has happened on low mile stock rigs as well.

Last night I was able to test the Z Locker Harness from ZAutomotive on my Gladiator and 3 other problematic JLs, all of which had varying causes, and different levels of the errors. All have been diagnosed at Jeep service as a vague "ground fault at diff"

My JT had fully failed. I endured all levels of the issue starting with the blinking lights, eventually followed by the svc locker error and finally full locker failure.

All 4 Jeeps immediately responded to the new harness. All lights went off. All lockers worked properly. All locker engaged/disengaged sensors worked properly. Full success.

"-super simple install - mimics the sensor circuit, tells the DTCM that the lockers are locked when they should be, and unlocked when they should be - no risk of damaging the DTCM. Same signaling, same electrically as the sensor it replaces. - system becomes more like the JK as the locker solenoid is on its own, feedback from the sensor is not mimicked but the DTCM can still sense a short or open to the solenoid circuit - same watertight connectors used as OEM. Fully potted and watertight. "

4 Jeeps is a small test sample, but 100% worked. I have scheduled in another 5 locals to perform the fix and will report my findings.

Again, the link to the fix is here... ZAutomotive ZLOCKER

ok...and discuss!!
Sponsored

Mud2Sno

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Rubicon
just ordered two for my JL as I have the locker problem and will let you know if this fixes the problem

OP
OP
The Custom Jeep Builder

The Custom Jeep Builder

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Jeep Customizer
Are two of the harnesses required? One for the front and one for the rear?
In all of my test cases so far, just a single for the rear (where the circuit starts). Mine for example had full system failure. Lockers didn't engage front or rear. Im 100% functional now

Sponsored

Rubycon50

First Name
Royce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon JL
Vehicle Showcase
In all of my test cases so far, just a single for the rear (where the circuit starts). Mine for example had full system failure. Lockers didn't engage front or rear. Im 100% functional now
Thanks. I have the service lockers error on my dash. I'll order it tonight and report back.

Mud2Sno

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Rubicon
I had ordered two but if I only need one (will try rear only first) I will keep the spare one for any friends that have trouble on the trail.

Rubycon50

First Name
Royce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon JL
Vehicle Showcase
I had ordered two but if I only need one (will try rear only first) I will keep the spare one for any friends that have trouble on the trail.
I'm sure there's a bunch of folks here that want to be your friend now ;)

jessedacri

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White 2dr JL Rubicon 3.6
Man this is nuts, you'd think at some point in the JL's lifespan they'll offer a way to fix this OEM without having the full axle swap. That's just unreal they aren't offering sensor/locker/gears as serviceable items by the end user or the dealer. Makes things extra terrible if the dealer were to blame it on a lift or larger tires.

Great that we've got a fix outside of the FCA nightmare on this issue. Luckily I haven't had issues and I use my lockers all the time, but good to know the fix is out there.

OP
OP
The Custom Jeep Builder

The Custom Jeep Builder

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Jeep Customizer
Another 2 fixed today. Cant tell you how happy we are to be able to work with another industry business owner to make this big problem easily solved! Thanks again to Joe @ www.zautomotive.com for the innovation of this product!!

Sponsored

SwissSteph

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.swissjeepjl.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Rubicon - Hella Yella - 2.2 Diesel
Vehicle Showcase
I ordered one, in anticipation of the problem and for when my Jeep will no longer be under warranty. It's distressing for a new car to be so afraid of very poor reliability... :punch:

Rubycon50

First Name
Royce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon JL
Vehicle Showcase
Another 2 fixed today. Cant tell you how happy we are to be able to work with another industry business owner to make this big problem easily solved! Thanks again to Joe @ www.zautomotive.com for the innovation of this product!!
I received mine today, connected it about 15 minutes ago and unfortunately it did not work. Still have the same error on the dash saying service lockers. Am I doing something wrong? The install seems pretty straight forward.

Jeep Wrangler JL THE FIX FOR LOCKERS:  Blinking lights, service axle locker system, lockers wont engage/disengage 1595630456321

Jeep Wrangler JL THE FIX FOR LOCKERS:  Blinking lights, service axle locker system, lockers wont engage/disengage 1595630493010

Last edited:

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I have no issue but love these posts. Seems many warninng light go way with a battery disconnect. Disconnect, open doors and reconnect.

Status
Not open for further replies.