2020 JLUR has dead battery 2 days after delivery

adyacobucci

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Recon
JLUR sat overnight and was completly dead at 800am. No lights, no dash, nothing was working. Tried to jump without any luck. Could not get the least bit of electrical connection even with the jump start connected? Any thoughts?
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@adyacobucci

Not unusual unfortunately. Your JL sat on the dealership lot and one or both of it's batteries (Main and Aux) became depleted. You have a 2020 so it was probably both...

Have dealer evaluate it and do what is necessary.

Do come back here to the forum and read alot / research in regard to the JL's, 2 batteries and how to live with them.

Your owner's manual has a section in it warning not to leave the JL somewhere without starting for X number of days (think it is 17) or you will have battery(s) related issues.

For free towing under warranty, call Jeep Road Service at Ph. 1-800-992-1997 . You must have the JL FLAT TOWED. Tell the person on the phone that you need flat tow to nearest Jeep Dealer.

IF you can't get it out of park to flat tow, you will need to pull the release lever right in front of the shifter. See your manual for info. Release is under plastic cap.

You can jump with using a donor vehicle and probably get it started. Hook up battery cables from your JL, to a vehicle that is running. Now, wait say 5-10 minutes and then try to start your JL. NO, your jumper box will undoubtedly not do the job. Hook up to anther vehicle with good old battery cables.

OP
OP

adyacobucci

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@adyacobucci

Not unusual unfortunately. Your JL sat on the dealership lot and one or both of it's batteries (Main and Aux) became depleted. You have a 2020 so it was probably both...

Have dealer evaluate it and do what is necessary.

Do come back here to the forum and read alot / research in regard to the JL's, 2 batteries and how to live with them.

Your owner's manual has a section in it warning not to leave the JL somewhere without starting for X number of days (think it is 17) or you will have battery(s) related issues.

For free towing under warranty, call Jeep Road Service at Ph. 1-800-992-1997 . You must have the JL FLAT TOWED. Tell the person on the phone that you need flat tow to nearest Jeep Dealer.

IF you can't get it out of park to flat tow, you will need to pull the release lever right in front of the shifter. See your manual for info. Release is under plastic cap.

You can jump with using a donor vehicle and probably get it started. Hook up battery cables from your JL, to a vehicle that is running. Now, wait say 5-10 minutes and then try to start your JL. NO, your jumper box will undoubtedly not do the job. Hook up to anther vehicle with good old battery cables.
Thanks for the quick response. Tried to jump with no luck, called Roadside Assistance and Tow Company tried to jump also with no luck. It's on a flat bed tow truck to the dealer.

OP
OP

adyacobucci

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just received a call from Roadside Assistance informing me I have to pay $48 for the tow since it was not to the nearest dealer. When I contacted the nearest dealer they told me it would be 2 to 3 weeks before they could look at it.....the car is only 3 days old, and I'm going to wait two to three weeks to get it looked at???? My last Chrysler product was a 1989 Dodge Daytona, now I know why I never bought another one.....

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@adyacobucci

AFTER, the work is completed, (AFTER) at that dealership and you have your invoice, call
FCA's Dedicated Jeep Customer Care: Ph. 1-866-362-2146 . Explain to them why you
opted to flat bed your BRAND NEW to you, that you had for 2 days, to that dealership and not
the closest dealership. Tell them local dealership said 2 -3 weeks to look at your Jeep.

In most cases like this FCA/Jeep will reimburse you .. reimburse you that $48.00. They mail you a check.

Sponsored

Yellow Cake Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
What was the reasoning behind the recommendation "You must have the JL FLAT TOWED."?

Is the transmission or transfer case incapable of shifting to neutral when electrical power is lost?

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What was the reasoning behind the recommendation "You must have the JL FLAT TOWED."?

Is the transmission or transfer case incapable of shifting to neutral when electrical power is lost?
Cause the manual says so.... :LOL:

Never dolly tow your JL/JLU/JT!

It is never a good idea to dolly tow any 4WD vehicle.

You never dolly tow with either just the front or just the rear wheel off the ground. This is a great way to tear up your transfer case.

I might add that FCA recommends against/ warns against dolly towing.

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Also can try the other fob. One time mine wouldn't start even with the fob against the start button. No power at all. Went inside to get the other fob and it started right up.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@JeepScares

You can flat tow a JL to a dealer or shop close by with a tow rope or say an RV/Truck that has a tow bar to tow the JL with.

Flat tow with all 4 wheels on the ground. Never use dollies on the front or rear..

For a standard shift, JL, place tranny in highest forward gear and the transfer case in Neutral
to Flat Tow.

For an automatic, JL, place tranny in Park and Transfer case in Neutral to Flat Tow.

When you flat tow, .... Always leave ignition in off position. There is no steering wheel lock on a JL.

Sponsored

OP
OP

adyacobucci

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Also can try the other fob. One time mine wouldn't start even with the fob against the start button. No power at all. Went inside to get the other fob and it started right up.
Appreciate the reply. We tried both fobs and attempted using both fobs to push the start button. The dash was completely dead, no glimmer of an electric current anywhere.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
JLUR sat overnight and was completly dead at 800am. No lights, no dash, nothing was working. Tried to jump without any luck. Could not get the least bit of electrical connection even with the jump start connected? Any thoughts?
Hi there,
We recommend to bring this concern to the attention of your dealer. Please know that our team is always available via private message for additional support during your servicing visit.

Kathryn
JeepCares

Trek68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon
I had a similar experience this weekend. Was able to jump start but Jeep would die almost immediately after removing the jumper cables. After a couple of hours with AAA battery service, they had me do the following which allowed me to drive it to the nearest dealership. Also, the Engine Check/MIL light and Service Stop/Start System Warning lights were on.
  • Jump-start with jump box and leave it connected
  • Rev engine to 1500 RPM for 2-3 minutes.
  • During this time the Jeep "reset idle" according to the tech
  • Disconnect jump box and the Jeep stayed running
  • Disable Stop/Start system
  • Cross fingers and drive it on the road to nearest dealership
Jeep is in for service now but I'm still waiting on official diagnostic from them. More to come.

*My Jeep was not 2-days old but is a 2020 (not even 12-months old)
Sponsored