Sponsored

diesel 3.0 or wait for V8 392

DwnSth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 TJ : 2021 JLURD
I'm literally about to place an order for a JLURD but the 'almost' release of the 392 has me wondering if I should hold out until something is made official. I've waited years for a diesel to be available in the wrangler partly because I never thought they would offer a factory V8 again. I had a ZJ with a V8 which was a beast and fun to drive off-road. Who knows when or even if Jeep will really make something official but I hate to lock in and a month from now see the V8 available to order. I'm still very much leaning toward the 3.0 but would be nice to have both as options.
Sponsored

PillowFightr

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Data Center Engineer
I'm literally about to place an order for a JLURD but the 'almost' release of the 392 has me wondering if I should hold out until something is made official. I've waited years for a diesel to be available in the wrangler partly because I never thought they would offer a factory V8 again. I had a ZJ with a V8 which was a beast and fun to drive off-road. Who knows when or even if Jeep will really make something official but I hate to lock in and a month from now see the V8 available to order. I'm still very much leaning toward the 3.0 but would be nice to have both as options.
I think it depends on your use-case! The V8 is probably for staying in your state, bombing through the desert or mud and going fast off-road..
The diesel is probably better for long distance overland trips and can still off-road when needed.

One gets very bad MPG and range, one gets very good MPG and range.. One gets affected by bigger tires and extra weight and needs re-gearing... One doesn't!

For me, even if the V8 was available today at the same price premium of the diesel, i think i would still order the diesel! But i agree its a hard choice!

I cant wait for mine to be built! :rock:

toolaide4fit

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD
Occupation
IT Manager
It is a concept vehicle! I wouldnā€™t wait! The diesel is awesome ALL the time off-road and gets great gas mileage and awesome range. Quite a few people have put 37s and didnā€™t need to re-gear.

I would go for the diesel and not wait!

UrbanCowboyAZ

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜20 JLURD, ā€˜02 TJ
Occupation
Real Estate
Iā€™m in the same boat as you, impatiently waiting for the diesel because I never thought Jeep would put a V8 into the Wrangler. Iā€™m in the camp that I think the 392 is almost certainly happening. Whether it will come with a 2ā€ lift and 37ā€™s, who knows, but itā€™s sure to be a hell of a vehicle. Just look at Lite Brite to see a Jeep with that engine in action. That being said, who knows when it will come out? My thought is that it may coincide with the release of the Bronco to steal some of its thunder.

But the diesel is available right now, and from a power, delivery, and range standpoint, itā€™s the best engine ever put into Wrangler. Everyone that has reviewed it says itā€™s a perfect match for the Jeep, including many members on this forum.

I donā€™t think thereā€™s a poor or incorrect choice here. Youā€™ll probably be ecstatic with either option. As much as I love V8 power and sound, itā€™s probably close to a year out and the diesel is a sure thing out in the wild already and has great power and sound (assuming you like the sound of a diesel). And so I pick my diesel rubi up in 9 days!

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
On one hand you have a vehicle that actually exists in the real world. On the other hand is a pipe dream from a company that has teased us with more than a dozen previous Hemi Wranglers. It looks more likely than before that it could happen. But even if it does, we don't know how many or how much. The Diesel may not be the best engine for you and your needs. But at least you know what you are getting and how much it costs.

Sponsored

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
You can do both.

It's a safe assumption that you can buy a diesel, drive the wheels off it, and still be an early adopter to the 392. If it's out by then, that is.

Gdub

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
Occupation
Engineer
I think it is amazing how Jeep seems to have released one of their Easter Jeep week 2020 concept vehicles and now it is already going into production. It would be awesome, but I feel like Jeep has put a v-8 in concepts in the past.

kosinar

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Black JLUR 3.0 EcoDiesel received 3/6/20
Life is too short to wait for anything. Get your diesel now and when whatever comes after is so good that you have to have it, buy it.

72Blazer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
72BlazerCrawler 72Blazer12V 88SBDuramax 18JLUR
Occupation
SLP
Iā€™m a diesel guy. Iā€™d go diesel. If only there was more aftermarket support for it and longevity reviews on it. I went tried and true 3.6. I believe <.1% of enthusiasts benefit from a diesel or v8 setup other than throwing money down.
:flag:

FinnMalloy04

First Name
Finn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Grand Cherokee Limited
It is a concept vehicle! I wouldnā€™t wait! The diesel is awesome ALL the time off-road and gets great gas mileage and awesome range. Quite a few people have put 37s and didnā€™t need to re-gear.

I would go for the diesel and not wait!
I think it will come to production. Jeep and FCA put a quote saying pretty much we may soon get what we have wanted. I'm expecting the 5.7 or the 4.7 to make a return.

Sponsored

chadk77

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 TJ, 2021 JLURubicon
Build Thread
Link
The Toledo plant has built 30 (some day 50) of the Wrangler 392s. Seems like itā€™s a good bet itā€™s going to be offered in some sort of way fairly soon. Iā€™d be surprised to see it in 2021 but we can all hope. Lol

OP
OP
DwnSth

DwnSth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 TJ : 2021 JLURD
Thanks for all the replies. For my use, I think the diesel is still my path. I'm not on any deadline so waiting is an option, I have a great TJ and travel all over the country finding places to wheel. This vehicle will have multiple uses - not only used off road, pulled behind RV(toad), and sometime pull small travel trailer. The extra range of the diesel along with the torque are what drew me to the diesel in the first place. A poster mentioned range on the 392 and that got me thinking what my use will be for this jeep.
So, I'm off to dealer roulette next week. My closest three or four dealers will get first shot, if not getting decent % below invoice then I'll see what out of state dealer makes sense for me.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
The Toledo plant has built 30 (some day 50) of the Wrangler 392s. Seems like itā€™s a good bet itā€™s going to be offered in some sort of way fairly soon. Iā€™d be surprised to see it in 2021 but we can all hope. Lol
I've heard the 30 number, but I'm not sure what you are referring to as "some day 50". Please clarify.