Sponsored
Status
Not open for further replies.

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
A number of companies ask over the country have been doing v8 swaps for the JL. Litebrite did a few videos covering the install of there hemi swap, at DCD customs in LA.
Yeah, but these companies don't have to contend with the government, CAFE standards, and all the other red tape bureaucratic BS necessary to get a vehicle into production. The 392 barely fits in the JL engine compartment and eliminates any semblance of crash safety. That alone nixes any hope of this happening. Even Jeep admits it. It's that simple. No crash safety? No vehicle. End of story. There's literally no reason to continue the conversation beyond that point.

Jeep should spend more time refining what they've got, which is pretty damn good as it is, and educating dealerships on how not to utterly fail at serving customers on virtually all levels. I mean, have you ever talked to a FCA sales goon or service tech that actually knows anything about Jeeps? Yeah, me neither.

I suppose since you don’t know me from Adam it makes no impact. An inside source at FCA I know. He’s already on the list to grab it first thing.
How has this been under the radar for so long, but now that its announced, everybody in the universe suddenly has an "inside source?" Give me a fucking break.

Again, this is the boy who cried Hemi. We kept asking, Jeep kept declining. No amount of social media posts, marketing garbage with tiny concept lettering, press releases, or "inside sources" still make me think this is happening. I'll believe it when I see one, sit in it, drive it, and subsequently shit my pants in excitement about how awesome it is.
Sponsored

Goosed

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Yeah, but these companies don't have to contend with the government, CAFE standards, and all the other red tape bureaucratic BS necessary to get a vehicle into production. The 392 barely fits in the JL engine compartment and eliminates any semblance of crash safety. That alone nixes any hope of this happening. Even Jeep admits it. It's that simple. No crash safety? No vehicle. End of story. There's literally no reason to continue the conversation beyond that point.

Jeep should spend more time refining what they've got, which is pretty damn good as it is, and educating dealerships on how not to utterly fail at serving customers on virtually all levels. I mean, have you ever talked to a FCA sales goon or service tech that actually knows anything about Jeeps? Yeah, me neither.

How has this been under the radar for so long, but now that its announced, everybody in the universe suddenly has an "inside source?" Give me a fucking break.

Again, this is the boy who cried Hemi. We kept asking, Jeep kept declining. No amount of social media posts, marketing garbage with tiny concept lettering, press releases, or "inside sources" still make me think this is happening. I'll believe it when I see one, sit in it, drive it, and subsequently shit my pants in excitement about how awesome it is.
Sorry... didn’t mean to get you all amped up. I’ll withdrawal my info.

TJJL19

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Unlimited Sport

Jeep should spend more time refining what they've got, which is pretty damn good as it is, and educating dealerships on how not to utterly fail at serving customers on virtually all levels. I mean, have you ever talked to a FCA sales goon or service tech that actually knows anything about Jeeps?
Ok! I'll back off and take a 345 (5.7) now you can fit, your goverment, under the hood!
I think it's a race between Wrangler and Bronco, to get a V8, to show which vehicle has engineering to spare..

Last edited:

Sponsored

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
A lot of you seem to really be stuck on this $80k price prediction. I guess that is possible, but realistically why would this engine add $20k in costs? The 5.7 in the truck is only $1500 option over the 3.6.

Jeep could just as easily, put a red interior, some Fox shocks, the 5.7, and some 35 inch tires into a much cheaper package
It’s only cheap in the Ram because the pickup segment is so competitive.

The 5.7 is more expensive in FCA’s other offerings:

Grand Cherokee: $3,395
Durango: $3,995

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sorry... didn’t mean to get you all amped up. I’ll withdrawal my info.
I'm not amped up at all. It's just the same song and dance since the days of the JK. "FCA insiders" used to tell dealerships the JK was getting the 5.7 after the 2012 powertrain refresh introduced the Pentastar. Shit, they did that for years. And each year we all had a good laugh, even though it was much more believable back then because Jeep engineers actually designed the engine bay to accommodate it, but it got canned for the exact same reasons we still don't have one today. Hemi swaps on the JK are damn near effortless and yet Jeep still couldn't make it work themselves.

Ok! I'll back off and take a 345 (5.7) now you can fit, your goverment, under the hood!
I'd be more inclined to believe a 5.7 JL over the 392, but there are still just too many hurdles Jeep would have to go through to make it happen. But either way, I'll believe it after I drive one and a professional cleaning service is dispatched to the dealership to take care of the seats when I bring it back to do the paperwork.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
This is about opinions on the 392, and all I’ve tried to get across is that there’s many other things that they could focus on to improve the product.
Indeed, FCA has a lot of other things it could work on, like fixing the dealer experience, packaging options so that buyers actually get some decent value, making auxiliary batteries that don’t crap out as soon as you drive off the lot, fixing the steering, etc.

But instead, time and time again FCA tries to fix everything by dropping a big HEMI.

Raylan Givens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500
It’s only cheap in the Ram because the pickup segment is so competitive.

The 5.7 is more expensive in FCA’s other offerings:

Grand Cherokee: $3,395
Durango: $3,995
I find it highly unlikely they lose money on every Ram with the 5.7, but I apologise for suggesting Jeep has the ability to do a V8 for less than $20k. I retract all previous comments on what Jeep could do and promise to complain about the $80k price tag on a vehicle that doesn't exist in all future posts

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase

I was just answering the poster who asked if private shops were installing v8's.

Whether factory installed or aftermarket, I'd only be interested in a v8 if I could be off road as often as individuals like litebrite.

Sponsored

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was just answering the poster who asked if private shops were installing v8's.

Whether factory installed or aftermarket, I'd only be interested in a v8 if I could be off road as often as individuals like litebrite.
Gotchya. My apologies. I've seen a lot of arguments that because AEV and other shops can drop a Hemi into Wranglers, Jeep can just do it, too, and call it a day. If only it were that easy.

DaveNH

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Sonata
The 392 barely fits in the JL engine compartment and eliminates any semblance of crash safety. That alone nixes any hope of this happening. Even Jeep admits it.
Have they, though?

I'm in the "I'll Believe it when I see it" camp.

But as I pointed out earlier in the thread, Kuniskis was asked about the Hellcat, to which he replied that it fit like a glove with no crush space.

It's possible that a NA 392 could have space that the supercharger takes up in the Hellcat.

To that end, I compared pics of the Demon vs 392 in a Challenger, and certainly the former is more crowded.

I lean towards this as just stealing attention from Ford, although that would be a terrible decision what with how the press release was worded.

But I wonder if we've all just run on an assumption that Kuniskis's comments on the Hellcat pertain to all Hemis. Unless you're aware of some other public comments?

DaveNH

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Sonata
I mean, I certainly wouldn't put it past Jeep to have the engineering figured out on the Hemi for some time.

But they would have had no incentive to release it previously, what with little competition and record sales already.

With the I6 still in development, this could be the situation where Jeep feels they need to play that card.

Or it's all bs.

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Have they, though?

But as I pointed out earlier in the thread, Kuniskis was asked about the Hellcat, to which he replied that it fit like a glove with no crush space.
Perhaps I'm mistaken, but I thought he was referring to the Gladiator from this interview: https://www.thedrive.com/news/27346...-like-a-glove-and-thats-the-problem-exec-says

Regardless, though, I'd be curious to see what the cab of a JL or Gladiator with a 392 looks like after a front collision.

I mean, I certainly wouldn't put it past Jeep to have the engineering figured out on the Hemi for some time.
A Hemi is totally possible in a Wrangler, just not the one we have today. If they completely redesigned it around the 392 and worked their way down for the other powertrain options, there'd certainly be more wiggle room to appease the government. But how much change is required and what gets compromised? And at the end of the day, is it still even a Wrangler?

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
Have they, though?

It's possible that a NA 392 could have space that the supercharger takes up in the Hellcat.

To that end, I compared pics of the Demon vs 392 in a Challenger, and certainly the former is more crowded.

I lean towards this as just stealing attention from Ford, although that would be a terrible decision what with how the press release was worded.

But I wonder if we've all just run on an assumption that Kuniskis's comments on the Hellcat pertain to all Hemis. Unless you're aware of some other public comments?
The block has the same exterior dimensions below the heads. The difference is that the supercharger sits between the heads and adds height. But as far as width and length the blocks are the same. Only some additional tubing for the intercooler on the supercharger.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.