Spiderwebshade / Alien shade tops: I have some questions

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
No I haven't had the Alien shade but I was looking at them last year. I looked at Alien, Spiderweb, Bestop and a few off brands. I saw the install tool in an installation video.

I tried a Rugged Ridge shade that had holes for the Freedom Panel latches, but it wasn't very tight. I ended up returning it and running without a shade in the hopes that Bestop would finally release the retractable shade. Now that I've got a Sunrider I only need to access the front latches and the Spiderweb allows me to do it. It also looks like Bestop isn't going to make the retractable shade for the JL so my wife surprised me with this.
Yes that rugged ridge one is very inexpensive and very cheap looking
Sponsored

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Just an update since I've had the shade for a bit over a month now.
It is very stable. It doesn't bounce round or anything, even on the interstate (I made a special trip from one exit to the next just to test it). Obviously this isn't a hard piece of material so yes it is going to move around a little with the wind. That said it's taut enough that it's not doing the wave or anything. I don't notice any movement unless I look up and specifically watch it. Even then the movement is very minor.

The operation of the Sunrider has gotten to be easier too, just as I expected. I had to figure out a new method/routine for opening and closing the roof. On a scale of 1-10 (with 10 being the easiest operation) the Sunrider was a 10 before the shade. After the shade it's probably a 9. Not quite as easy as just reaching up and working it, but stretching the edge back to work the latch is second nature now. Reaching out the door/window to flip the top up or down is the only real inconvenience but that's not really a big deal.

So after a month, I still like Spiderwebshade. Very happy with it, and it makes a noticeable difference on those extremely sunny days when the sun would otherwise be beating down on you.

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
Just an update since I've had the shade for a bit over a month now.
It is very stable. It doesn't bounce round or anything, even on the interstate (I made a special trip from one exit to the next just to test it). Obviously this isn't a hard piece of material so yes it is going to move around a little with the wind. That said it's taut enough that it's not doing the wave or anything. I don't notice any movement unless I look up and specifically watch it. Even then the movement is very minor.

The operation of the Sunrider has gotten to be easier too, just as I expected. I had to figure out a new method/routine for opening and closing the roof. On a scale of 1-10 (with 10 being the easiest operation) the Sunrider was a 10 before the shade. After the shade it's probably a 9. Not quite as easy as just reaching up and working it, but stretching the edge back to work the latch is second nature now. Reaching out the door/window to flip the top up or down is the only real inconvenience but that's not really a big deal.

So after a month, I still like Spiderwebshade. Very happy with it, and it makes a noticeable difference on those extremely sunny days when the sun would otherwise be beating down on you.
I cannot remember did you get the one piece or two piece? if I change to their brand I want the two piece it's just cleaner looking I don't want the one piece with the hump over the soundbar

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
I only have the front covered. I guess technically it's 1/2 of the two piece, even though you can order just the front like my wife did.

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
I only have the front covered. I guess technically it's 1/2 of the two piece, even though you can order just the front like my wife did.
I like the front but what I didn't like about their earpiece it covers half the soundbar alien was a true two-piece it didn't go up over and soundbar halfway it's just the front piece is too short on me it's trunk I guess or something so I mean they don't have any water out of business but that rear two piece on the alien it comes up over half the soundbar and it looks weird

Sponsored

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
See what I'm talking about their rear piece. Some people like it some don't. doesn't. I just don't think it looks right do you

received_246323983307985.jpeg

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
See what I'm talking about their rear piece. Some people like it some don't. doesn't. I just don't think it looks right do you

received_246323983307985.jpeg
Why couldn't they just cut it a little shorter

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
The back piece being a little shorter may look a little better. I assume they did it that way to prevent a gap that my let sun through. If they cut it to stop at the back edge of the speakers, the middle area where the sound bar curves in would have a big gap.

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
The back piece being a little shorter may look a little better. I assume they did it that way to prevent a gap that my let sun through. If they cut it to stop at the back edge of the speakers, the middle area where the sound bar curves in would have a big gap.
look how much of a gap I have in the front piece above the windshield it's like three inches when I take my hard tops off and freedom panels which they are now sun just comes right through

20200531_181514.jpg

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
So I did a little photo editing (it's very crude).

One with a black line showing the rear edge of the speakers. The red blob is the gap you would end up having if they cut it short enough to not go over the sound bar. IMO it's a pretty substantial gap and likely why they didn't do that.

The other image would be a potential solution to the design. I used green to show the area which would be removed. Basically the design some what follows that of the sound bar's profile. Then I added black circles to represent the attachments of cords, and some black lines to show where/how the cords could connect.
The two outer edges could attach the same way they already do. Near the center of the "flap" that covers the gap they could potentially use a hook style fasteners similar or even identical to ones used on the windshield. These two hooks could latch into the two assembly holes on the top of the bar.
You're welcome Spiderwebshade for the free design idea. Feel free to use it. I'll even draw it up in a CAD file for you if you send me the proposed style back piece as a "test" fit.

gap.jpg

option.jpg

Sponsored

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
So I did a little photo editing (it's very crude).

One with a black line showing the rear edge of the speakers. The red blob is the gap you would end up having if they cut it short enough to not go over the sound bar. IMO it's a pretty substantial gap and likely why they didn't do that.

The other image would be a potential solution to the design. I used green to show the area which would be removed. Basically the design some what follows that of the sound bar's profile. Then I added black circles to represent the attachments of cords, and some black lines to show where/how the cords could connect.
The two outer edges could attach the same way they already do. Near the center of the "flap" that covers the gap they could potentially use a hook style fasteners similar or even identical to ones used on the windshield. These two hooks could latch into the two assembly holes on the top of the bar.
You're welcome Spiderwebshade for the free design idea. Feel free to use it. I'll even draw it up in a CAD file for you if you send me the proposed style back piece as a "test" fit.

gap.jpg

option.jpg
Very nice

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
look how much of a gap I have in the front piece above the windshield it's like three inches when I take my hard tops off and freedom panels which they are now sun just comes right through

20200531_181514.jpg
The Spiderwebshade doesn't have that big of a gap. In fact mine is right up to the edge.

Jeep Wrangler JL Spiderwebshade / Alien shade tops: I have some questions IMG_20200718_1205480

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
The Spiderwebshade doesn't have that big of a gap. In fact mine is right up to the edge.

Jeep Wrangler JL Spiderwebshade / Alien shade tops: I have some questions IMG_20200718_1205480
that's why I'm thinking about getting the two-piece I just didn't like the way the rear piece looked on half of the soundbar but I guess I don't have a choice. Jtopsmakes a really nice front piece but they don't make the rear piece got their very proud of it when it comes to pricing but I can't get a rare piece to match. Look how nice j tops look. but they won't make a real piece he said it it flaps too much what they all flap going down the highway good grief I would buy his if he made a real piece it has the magnetic flap that sticks up in the front and it doesn't come undone then you just fold it back looks very nice but I'm not a big fan of the big buckles

Screenshot_20200703-100601_Gallery.jpg

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Yeah I looked at Jtops, they seem really nice.

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
And they're made in Abilene Texas about 2 hours from where I live there 3 weeks behind the custom orders are just coming in there so busy he said. but I wish he made a back piece
Sponsored