Sponsored

Winch power/ground wire routing?

Rufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL Sport 3.6 V6
Search here came up empty.

When wiring my winch, is there a preferred route from the winch up to the battery for power and ground cables?

Looking up from under the Jeep there was no obvious path, so do I just fish around with the help of a friend and try to find a good clean route?

I’ve seen a video on YouTube with a routing, I’m just wondering if there’s consensus on the best route.

Thanks.
Sponsored

Stuckinthesand

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S
Search here came up empty.

When wiring my winch, is there a preferred route from the winch up to the battery for power and ground cables?

Looking up from under the Jeep there was no obvious path, so do I just fish around with the help of a friend and try to find a good clean route?

I’ve seen a video on YouTube with a routing, I’m just wondering if there’s consensus on the best route.

Thanks.
Routed mine up behind the grill next to the passenger headlight and then along the fender to the battery. I have a rugged ridge spartan bumper so it is pretty open without the stock components.

Kevin Mojito

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Moijto 2005 TJ AEV Hemi
Rip the passenger side fender off. It will make things much easier.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
OEM steel bumper with Smittybiky X2O. I simply routed them from the control box, under grille, behind passenger headlight, under air intake, up to battery terminals. It was fairly easy.

KansasJL

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Grey JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I have a LOD Destroyer shorty bumper and I couldn’t find any way to run the wires and have them as protected as I wanted. I popped off the grill and started messing around. I found a tube that runs from the front of the grill to under the air box. I cut two small holes in the honeycomb on the grill inserts and ran the wires thru the grill and that tube. You will have to take the air box out which is pretty simple.

BDBEB70D-AA93-4DF2-A35C-3974A767EA26.jpeg

FE25E37C-C406-4889-8B9A-9ACCE0BFE179.jpeg

Sponsored

OP
OP

Rufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have a LOD Destroyer shorty bumper and I couldn’t find any way to run the wires and have them as protected as I wanted. I popped off the grill and started messing around. I found a tube that runs from the front of the grill to under the air box. I cut two small holes in the honeycomb on the grill inserts and ran the wires thru the grill and that tube. You will have to take the air box out which is pretty simple.

Jeep Wrangler JL Winch power/ground wire routing? FE25E37C-C406-4889-8B9A-9ACCE0BFE179

Jeep Wrangler JL Winch power/ground wire routing? FE25E37C-C406-4889-8B9A-9ACCE0BFE179
Thanks, nice job!

I wound up just going under the grill and up the passenger side of the engine compartment by the wheel well and followed along to the battery. The wires aren't the cleanest looking going under the grill but they're largely obscured by the winch itself.

KansasJL

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Grey JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks, nice job!

I wound up just going under the grill and up the passenger side of the engine compartment by the wheel well and followed along to the battery. The wires aren't the cleanest looking going under the grill but they're largely obscured by the winch itself.
I couldn’t squeeze the wires under the grill and the back edge of the LOD bumper and I didn’t want to route it anywhere along the frame and risk it getting hung up or pinched. i did have it routed along the edge of the radiator but the wires were starting to get warm and I didn’t want to risk rubbing off the coating or it melting causing a HUGE problem.

OP
OP

Rufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I couldn’t squeeze the wires under the grill and the back edge of the LOD bumper and I didn’t want to route it anywhere along the frame and risk it getting hung up or pinched. i did have it routed along the edge of the radiator but the wires were starting to get warm and I didn’t want to risk rubbing off the coating or it melting causing a HUGE problem.
Yeah I have a sufficient gap with the ADD bumper.
Sponsored