Sponsored

Went to rescue a friend, do I need to check my fluids and such?

noloc45

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2004 IS300
Occupation
QA Engineer/RPA Dev
Hello all!

Happy Independence day! (I know, it was a couple of days ago)

So forgive my ignorance, I have a 2019 Rubicon and its the first off road/4x4 vehicle ive ever owned. Im quite new to all of this but have learned much from everyone here on the forums.

So a week ago my buddy got stuck in some deep, goopy mud in the forest. Ive never done anything similar. Never used the winch or anything. Went out to rescue him. It was raining and it was on very slick clay/clay-like dirt.

I first tried using winch and I was sliding on the wet clay. We had put traction pads under his tires but it just wasnt happening. I then put it in 4H. Nothing, just starting digging into the mud. After progressively going up (or down) the list of 4x4 powers I had, finally I was in 4x4 with both front and rear lockers engaged and easily got him out. Probably should have just tried that to begin with but again, first time doing this.

Anyway, to the experts...should I be worried about anything? Should I check my fluids? Should I do some kind of maintenance? Was my progression into 4x4/lockers on correct or should this have just been the first thing I do?

Any advice/information/help is much appreciated!

Thank you!
Sponsored

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
...should I be worried about anything? Should I check my fluids? Should I do some kind of maintenance? Was my progression into 4x4/lockers on correct or should this have just been the first thing I do? Any advice/information/help is much appreciated! Thank you!
Sounds like you had some fun going offroad. If you’re ever concerned about mechanical operation, would it hurt to read thru the owner’s manual on how and when to use the 4wd system?

From your last excursion, maybe find a local and trustworthy mechanic who specializes in Wranglers and pay him to run a quick health check on your vehicle?

Also, please make sure you’re topped off on the blinker fluid. Most owners never look nor do they know how to bleed the system properly. If you wait too long and a light goes out, you may not be able to find the fluid on the shelf of your local auto shop.

The remedy then would be to go into the dealership and buy an entire new headlight and or taillight unit.

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
Hahahaha Notorious (above) is just breaking your chops. You should be fine. Jeeps are made for this stuff. I’m not an expert but from what I’ve read in the forum is if you submerge your axles you could possibly get water in them. Is this true veterans?

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
Hahahaha Notorious (above) is just breaking your chops. You should be fine. Jeeps are made for this stuff. I’m not an expert but from what I’ve read in the forum is if you submerge your axles you could possibly get water in them. Is this true veterans?
True, Steve. Each vulnerable component has a breather tube run up into the vehicle. But there is still a possibility of leakage, and when those components hit water, they cool and contract, pulling air in - or water, if you submerge the breathing tubes.

The good news is I’ve submerged mine fairly deep a few times, and I had the oils changed in the diffs and the transfer case. No water at all. Also, the breather tubes are fairly robust.

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
OP: You should be fine, as long as you weren't going lock to lock on the steering, with the throttle wide open and the front axle locked, or anything else like that. Maybe crawl under the Jeep, do a quick visual inspection for any obvious bends/ breaks/ dents in cross members and stuff. clear any caked mud from hot areas or any sort of lines (fuel/ transmission/ brakes/ etc) or moving parts that would affect it. Check for any obvious leaks.
from what I’ve read in the forum is if you submerge your axles you could possibly get water in them. Is this true veterans?
Technically yes- but I'll say this: I wasn't submarining my 2 previous TJ's, but I did a fair amount of mud/ water crossings on a few local trails up here. I only did gear oil once every other year, and never noticed any issues/ water inside. That said, if your axle seals are old/ bad, or you have leaks somewhere, it's possible.

I did see a bunch of kids sink a brand new JKU Rubi at an event. You could tell they had gotten their first new vehicle after getting their first decent job out of college. They went on the easy trail, and just like all the other rookies/ casuals, they were obsessed with playing in this one stretch of mud/ water. Sure enough, a couple hours later, they come back on the end of a tow strap, and the vehicle was completely dead. Apparently they were doing the dumb strategy and shifting gears as they plowed into the puddle, which (somehow) sucked water into the transmission and shut the vehicle down. I can't remember if they had to get towed or they got the Jeep started, but watching the eyes glaze over as one of the veteran off roaders who pulled them back to the parking lot explain what they did, and why it was wrong was both funny and sad. It was equal parts realizing how badly they just F'd up and having no idea how to fix it.

Sponsored

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
Hahahaha Notorious (above) is just breaking your chops.
About the blinker fluid? :CWL: It doesn’t get old and it pays dividends when people take it seriously.

“I was and the dealer and told the service advisor to perform all of my work but especially to make sure the techs change out the blinker fluid” :CWL:

nostatic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JL Sport S PDN, '18 R1200GS Rallye
Occupation
chief bottle washer
About the blinker fluid? :CWL: It doesn’t get old and it pays dividends when people take it seriously.

“I was and the dealer and told the service advisor to perform all of my work but especially to make sure the techs change out the blinker fluid” :CWL:
Blinker fluid is hydrophobic so less of a worry. The muffler bearings however - they don't like this type of abuse.

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
Blinker fluid is hydrophobic so less of a worry. The muffler bearings however - they don't like this type of abuse.
This is true... another thing that I failed to consider. If they go out, then what’s protecting the flux capacitor from the elements? And will that going out have an impact on the alternator and impact the overall charge of the vehicle?

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
This is true... another thing that I failed to consider. If they go out, then what’s protecting the flux capacitor from the elements? And will that going out have an impact on the alternator and impact the overall charge of the vehicle?
As long as you haven’t ejected your warp drive, you should be ok.

nostatic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JL Sport S PDN, '18 R1200GS Rallye
Occupation
chief bottle washer
Flux capacitors are usually buffered by linear negative optic flanges. The real issue is when cross beams go out of skew on treddle:

Sponsored

OP
OP

noloc45

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2004 IS300
Occupation
QA Engineer/RPA Dev
Haha

Thanks for the good laughs guys!

My apologies for the delay. My new wife works at the hospital and tested positive for COVID 3x! But we both have been absolutely fine so they might be those fake positives reported in Florida (we're in Orlando). But was dealing with all of that.

Anyway, I personally was not in mud per say. I was skidding over it, maybe dug the wheels in a bit. He on the other hand, his front end skid plate was stuck and possibly submerged a bit.

My concern is if after doing something as "rigorous" like that, if maybe I had to get things checked out or not. I know theyre built for it and I havent had any issues.

Best truck ive owned so far. Love it!

Thanks for the feedback friends!

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
Haha

Thanks for the good laughs guys!

My apologies for the delay. My new wife works at the hospital and tested positive for COVID 3x! But we both have been absolutely fine so they might be those fake positives reported in Florida (we're in Orlando). But was dealing with all of that.

Anyway, I personally was not in mud per say. I was skidding over it, maybe dug the wheels in a bit. He on the other hand, his front end skid plate was stuck and possibly submerged a bit.

My concern is if after doing something as "rigorous" like that, if maybe I had to get things checked out or not. I know theyre built for it and I havent had any issues.

Best truck ive owned so far. Love it!

Thanks for the feedback friends!
Should be fine Gary, you've gotta see what we do in these N.Y. snow storms with our vehicles. Good luck and best of health to you and your wife.
Sponsored