Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

I went offroading with a guy who had all this and more on his JK last weekend. I cant imagine how much that stuff costs if its anything like we’re seeing here....
Sponsored

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
OP
OP
Moregone

Moregone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
You act as if they are the only company with an R&D department. Their lifts don’t even perform very well, yet they charge a premium for them. They are big proponents of caster correction brackets, that’s all I need to know about their “R&D”. I get that some people like their bumpers, but they are still stupid expensive. Answer me this, do you feel that this build warrants the $75k price tag?
There you go putting words into my mouth. I own 0 AEV products, I never said it was worth the money.

I also own exactly 0 Porsches, Lambos and Corvettes. Doesn't mean I don't appreciate them for what they are. Or that I don't understand how their current technology trickles down over time.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
There you go putting words into my mouth. I own 0 AEV products, I never said it was worth the money.

I also own exactly 0 Porsches, Lambos and Corvettes. Doesn't mean I don't appreciate them for what they are. Or that I don't understand how their current technology trickles down over time.
I’m not putting anything in your mouth, I simply asked a question.

Sponsored

BullMoose1776

First Name
Bull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Project Manager
That's a silly comment. Those reinforced hinges will not handle this load....long. especially after I hang another 50 pounds in fuel and shovel/jack on it.
20200229_105224.jpg
He speaks the truth!

BullMoose1776

First Name
Bull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Project Manager
In the world of the offroad aftermarket we have a wide variety, including "companies" selling hockey pucks and hydra8000 shocks as "performance lifts". And how many bumpers are out there on the market that are all variations of the same thing? Some flat steel welded together.

AEV is on the other side of the spectrum. They have true R&D. They partner with OEMs learning their tricks of the trade and bringing materials and production otherwise not seen in the offroad space.

Wish I could find the video, but the product manager for AEV did a video explaining how they worked with Chevy on the Bison. He detailed their requirements and QC process and how they are now producing their bumpers with boron steel. It was a neat video for sure.

So while there are plenty of options at different price points. I'd say we all benefit from AEV as they push the limits (along with some others) of what is available in the aftermarket.
If only their products made it to market for us all to enjoy!

BroncoHound

First Name
Bud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR / 2022 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Taxi driver-in-training
If only their products made it to market for us all to enjoy!
Haha that's the truth right there. The AEV rear bumper is the only one I've seen that actually follows the body lines of the fender flares and hides the pinch weld (i hate it, can't help it, don't want to see it) so, if I were in the market for a rear bumper, it's the only one I would consider. But currently the cost of the bumper is about $75k and includes a whole slew of extras I personally don't need (like a whole Jeep).

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
Haha that's the truth right there. The AEV rear bumper is the only one I've seen that actually follows the body lines of the fender flares and hides the pinch weld (i hate it, can't help it, don't want to see it) so, if I were in the market for a rear bumper, it's the only one I would consider. But currently the cost of the bumper is about $75k and includes a whole slew of extras I personally don't need (like a whole Jeep).
This.

It seems most vendors are building bumpers that fit the lines of the JK and just ignored the new styling of the JL. IMO they look like total dog shit. Every single one of them. This is one of the primary reasons I went with the steel bumper group. The AEV one looks factory and ideally won't make contact with the body like the stock rear. If I ever replaced the bumpers, this is what I would buy. I wouldn't touch their lifts though, as my experience with their lifts on the JK was less than stellar, but I don't think they were targeting people that rock crawl... more of folks that use it for light wheeling and more overlanding.

$75k is a lot -- but you're paying a premium for a delivered, ready to go product. You should know that going into it. Also, I assume this doesn't include a discount on the actual Jeep itself. I'm not one to go for that sort of thing, but there's clearly a market for it.

I'm really happy with my setup though... it's pretty basic and has treated me well, including wheeling most of Moab (still need to do Cliffhanger and Pritchett canyon). Overall the 8 speed + the 4 cyl with the stock 4.10's does pretty well both on and offroad -- both from a performance stand point, and fuel economy standpoint. The fact that I can wheel pretty much everything there and daily it without compromise is amazing. And it's not like I spent a ton of money upgrading it either.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Simann

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon Unlimited
This.

It seems most vendors are building bumpers that fit the lines of the JK and just ignored the new styling of the JL. IMO they look like total dog shit. Every single one of them. This is one of the primary reasons I went with the steel bumper group. The AEV one looks factory and ideally won't make contact with the body like the stock rear. If I ever replaced the bumpers, this is what I would buy. I wouldn't touch their lifts though, as my experience with their lifts on the JK was less than stellar, but I don't think they were targeting people that rock crawl... more of folks that use it for light wheeling and more overlanding.

$75k is a lot -- but you're paying a premium for a delivered, ready to go product. You should know that going into it. Also, I assume this doesn't include a discount on the actual Jeep itself. I'm not one to go for that sort of thing, but there's clearly a market for it.

I'm really happy with my setup though... it's pretty basic and has treated me well, including wheeling most of Moab (still need to do Cliffhanger and Pritchett canyon). Overall the 8 speed + the 4 cyl with the stock 4.10's does pretty well both on and offroad -- both from a performance stand point, and fuel economy standpoint. The fact that I can wheel pretty much everything there and daily it without compromise is amazing. And it's not like I spent a ton of money upgrading it either.
Correct, AEV products are not for crawling. They sell Overland specific products. Ive owned a AEV kitted JK and now on the dual sport RT lift on my JL, its the best riding lift ive ever had, even on 37's, period.

For me, the Rusty's Gen II full rear bumper and ARB front stubby bumper will have to suffice until i can get my hands on an AEV front and rear bumper and tire carrier. For what I do and want to do, AEV fits the ticket. And Its all OEM quality fit and finish.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
Correct, AEV products are not for crawling. They sell Overland specific products. Ive owned a AEV kitted JK and now on the dual sport RT lift on my JL, its the best riding lift ive ever had, even on 37's, period.

For me, the Rusty's Gen II full rear bumper and ARB front stubby bumper will have to suffice until i can get my hands on an AEV front and rear bumper and tire carrier. For what I do and want to do, AEV fits the ticket. And Its all OEM quality fit and finish.
Agreed 100%

AEV's lift on my JK rode amazing (back in 2010)... way better than anything else -- I think primarily because it stuck so much to the stock geometry. At the time I didn't really understand what I was buying -- I only went with it because everyone said it handled like stock, and to me -- a lift was a lift in terms of "I needed height to get over X obstacle." I quickly realized though once I actually started wheeling in places like Moab and elsewhere though that I had reached the limitations of a short arm lift kit.

AEV is the only bumper I would replace my stock ones with -- though honestly, the stock steel bumper group is pretty fantastic. It's only the rear that lacks a bit as it does make contact with the body on departure through obstacles.

I'm pretty confident my vehicle would ride better with an AEV lift over what I have now, but I'm surprised how well the short arm EVO kit does on the JL.

Wraith

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Nacho JLUR - AEV Build
Beautiful Jeep. I am still patiently waiting for the JL bumpers to be released to place my order. Anyone heard any updates on the release date?

c2m2h3

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKU Wrangler Sahara
That Jeep is Awesome !!!!

c2m2h3

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKU Wrangler Sahara
To each their own, and I can understand the frustration with the delays.... BUT, AEV’s products are amazing !!
Sponsored