Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Tailgate reinforcements made the separate swing-out spare tire carrier obsolete.
Sponsored

JayJay

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLR
OP
OP
Moregone

Moregone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I have never understood the hype that this company gets. Overpriced and not even that good. Some fool will but this though. I built my rubicon for about $20k less and it’s far more capable and much better looking.
In the world of the offroad aftermarket we have a wide variety, including "companies" selling hockey pucks and hydra8000 shocks as "performance lifts". And how many bumpers are out there on the market that are all variations of the same thing? Some flat steel welded together.

AEV is on the other side of the spectrum. They have true R&D. They partner with OEMs learning their tricks of the trade and bringing materials and production otherwise not seen in the offroad space.

Wish I could find the video, but the product manager for AEV did a video explaining how they worked with Chevy on the Bison. He detailed their requirements and QC process and how they are now producing their bumpers with boron steel. It was a neat video for sure.

So while there are plenty of options at different price points. I'd say we all benefit from AEV as they push the limits (along with some others) of what is available in the aftermarket.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Moregone

Moregone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
That's a silly comment. Those reinforced hinges will not handle this load....long. especially after I hang another 50 pounds in fuel and shovel/jack on it.
Jeep Wrangler JL Dealership had an AEV built Jeep 20200229_105224
Exactly. AEV sells a 10 gallon fuel caddy that will weigh in over 70lbs full, plus 100+lb wheel tire combos, and any other accessories like a jack etc. You could see 200lb load outs on a bumper swingout. Stock is rated for 86lbs or somewhere around that.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
In the world of the offroad aftermarket we have a wide variety, including "companies" selling hockey pucks and hydra8000 shocks as "performance lifts". And how many bumpers are out there on the market that are all variations of the same thing? Some flat steel welded together.

AEV is on the other side of the spectrum. They have true R&D. They partner with OEMs learning their tricks of the trade and bringing materials and production otherwise not seen in the offroad space.

Wish I could find the video, but the product manager for AEV did a video explaining how they worked with Chevy on the Bison. He detailed their requirements and QC process and how they are now producing their bumpers with boron steel. It was a neat video for sure.

So while there are plenty of options at different price points. I'd say we all benefit from AEV as they push the limits (along with some others) of what is available in the aftermarket.
Yawn. I get it man, you’re a fanboy. Their lifts aren’t much better than what you describe. Go ahead and pay a premium for stuff that’s just meh. I completely disagree that I have ever benefited from their existence.

OP
OP
Moregone

Moregone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Yawn. I get it man, you’re a fanboy. Their lifts aren’t much better than what you describe. Go ahead and pay a premium for stuff that’s just meh. I completely disagree that I have ever benefited from their existence.
You're right. I totally geek out on details, specifications and doing it properly, not doing it the Biggest so I can have a measuring contest.

You don't have take advantage of, to benefit from something. I'm not going to buy a Bronco, but it will drive competition. Push the bar. Maybe your next Jeep will be better off for it. Because of companies like AEV there are options to buy thoughtfully built and tuned rigs off the showroom floor.

That benefits the community at large which is really what I was addressing anyways

Sponsored

MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I’m not a fan of AEV either. I think their stuff gets watered down and full of compromises just like OEM components. After all, it’s the OEM’s they work closest with.

I do somewhat like that rear bumper though.

I’m glad AEV exists and that they have a loyal following. It appears they enhance the Jeep ownership experience for many, even if I’m not one of them.

BroncoHound

First Name
Bud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR / 2022 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Taxi driver-in-training
I'm just laughing my ass off at the "Montana, USA" sticker. I drive by their home office facilities (at least I did before I went full "working from home" mode) to and from work every day......in southeast Michigan. Company might have bee founded in Montana, but it hasn't been there forever. Wixom, MI.
Their manufacturing is all in Michigan now, but the home office (and where most of the design-phase R&D happens) is still right here in Missoula, MT.

AEV leadership is still fairly well tied into local Jeep groups and such around Missoula. And the company started out as a kid fresh out of engineering school wanting to customize his new Jeep TJ. What could be more Jeep than that?

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
You're right. I totally geek out on details, specifications and doing it properly, not doing it the Biggest so I can have a measuring contest.

You don't have take advantage of, to benefit from something. I'm not going to buy a Bronco, but it will drive competition. Push the bar. Maybe your next Jeep will be better off for it. Because of companies like AEV there are options to buy thoughtfully built and tuned rigs off the showroom floor.

That benefits the community at large which is really what I was addressing anyways
You act as if they are the only company with an R&D department. Their lifts don’t even perform very well, yet they charge a premium for them. They are big proponents of caster correction brackets, that’s all I need to know about their “R&D”. I get that some people like their bumpers, but they are still stupid expensive. Answer me this, do you feel that this build warrants the $75k price tag?

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

That sticker is hard to read.

how much does it say for the AEV content?
Sponsored