Sponsored

Bronco vs Jeep Wrangler mega thread

With the Bronco launch, what team are you in?

• I will stay with team Jeep

Votes: 742 61.7%
  • I may jump to Team Ford

Votes: 239 19.9%
  • I am staying out of this one for now. (in Eric Cartman’s voice): Screw you guys, I am going home.

Votes: 113 9.4%
  • Is “both” an option because I am loaded and can afford both?

Votes: 109 9.1%

• Total voters

Jabarsetti

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Ret. USAF
Vehicle Showcase
Looks like the 2-door Bronco is a bigger vehicle than the 2-door Wrangler. Whether it is a significant difference is up to the viewer, but I think about 5" length (~4" wheelbase), and 2" width increase for the Bronco explains some of the added rear capacity (plus Ford is probably a bit more clever/efficient with design). Also looks like stock the Jeep has more ground clearance and better trail angles - though the Bronco gets an extra 3" in water fording depth :)

Still doesn't have a lot of love from this house, but competition is certainly healthy. I hope the Bronco is really good out of the gate. If it is I think we all win.
is the 33" on a stock base trim Bronco? With even a budget lift and 35's Jeeps right there, and it would be probably cheaper then say adding the Sasquatch package, I understand this might be all factory from a Bronco. But how many people that really water forge do it in a stock sport
Sponsored

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase

ODDs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hella Yella Sahara
I personally am very impressed with the Bronco's doors because not only are they half doors (or there abouts anyways), but they have full window function. Never has Jeep had half doors with anything other than slide in upper frames with zip windows.

And I don't think there is a way Jeep can achieve doors like that with this generation. It will take a complete redesign before we get those, and that will also require some visual compromises with Jeep's classic look. So I am very curious how they will respond.

EDIT: To be fair, Jeep's 'half doors' have really been more like 1/3 rd doors, so they do feel more open.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Nothing wrong with that, brother. I know you've been bitten by the wheeling bug more so than in the past and it seems like you're wanting to go to that next level of trail. Just be aware that full bodied rigs are going to be severely limited on the harder stuff and won't have the same performance capability....think about a 3200 lb buggy with that same 450 hp (or more since you can build a 525 hp LS for reasonable money) tons and even bigger tires with maybe 4wheel steer....

For about the same price....

I'm just trying to save you money in the long run..........

But if climate control and street legality are really important, then a buggy isn't a suitable option (though both of those can be tackled....one's an engineering question, the other; state regulations).
Appreciate you looking out. I’ll probably stay in the confines of the full Jeep. Will be driving it to wheel in some locations, tow pig and trailer to others. So I’ll be wheeling accordingly, lol. Sometimes if you break it you can limp home, but with my luck that’s not gonna be the case, lol.

cosmokenney

First Name
Cosmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR (2-door)
I personally am very impressed with the Bronco's doors because not only are they half doors (or there abouts anyways), but they have full window function. Never has Jeep had half doors with anything other than slide in upper frames with zip windows.

And I don't think there is a way Jeep can achieve doors like that with this generation. It will take a complete redesign before we get those, and that will also require some visual compromises with Jeep's classic look. So I am very curious how they will respond.
My problem with the JK and JL is that, in my opinion, the doors are a departure from the classic look of the willies/wrangler. The frame that surrounds the window (upper half of the door) is an eyesore to me. They look okay with a hard top on. But when you take the top off/down, the doors really look out of place.

Sponsored

Jabarsetti

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Ret. USAF
Vehicle Showcase
When Jeep was planning the JL there was an uproar on the JK forums that they better not go to IFS. Even when the JL first came out some thought it was heresy that Jeep had put in a conventional door stop.
lol, the door stop. I love it! however, one was accidentally pushed in when taking the doors off at the first sign on warm weather this past spring. so i spent a total of 10 mins trying to get it back out, before realizing as many times as I do doors on/off through out the summer. it saves me about 2 mins getting naked. So I just pushed them all in and I'll deal with it this fall.

ODDs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hella Yella Sahara
My problem with the JK and JL is that, in my opinion, the doors are a departure from the classic look of the willies/wrangler. The frame that surrounds the window (upper half of the door) is an eyesore to me. They look okay with a hard top on. But when you take the top off/down, the doors really look out of place.
I agree, they do look bad when full or partially topless. And the exposed B pillar looks like they didn't plan things through. Ford's execution of the B pillar is a little better, but it still seems a little funny. I think the whole B pillar should have been black.

Jabarsetti

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Ret. USAF
Vehicle Showcase
Bronco advertising is claiming best in class for things, but they only achieve that by offering 35 inch tires as a high end option. No shit you'll have more clearance with 35s. All Jeep has to do to beat this is add a 35 inch tire option and they are back to best in class. Just seems like such a silly game to try to claim best in class title.
exactly! to many people just see a new "shinny toy". the videos of "best in class" might as well of been a infomercial "wait there's more!"

Jeep Wrangler JL Bronco vs Jeep Wrangler mega thread 1594837971879

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
is the 33" on a stock base trim Bronco? With even a budget lift and 35's Jeeps right there, and it would be probably cheaper then say adding the Sasquatch package, I understand this might be all factory from a Bronco. But how many people that really water forge do it in a stock sport
Get the wider axles of the Rubicon (and I think some tow packages let you get the wider axles?) and you can fit 35s on the stock wheels, no spacers needed

Jabarsetti

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Ret. USAF
Vehicle Showcase
Get the wider axles of the Rubicon (and I think some tow packages let you get the wider axles?) and you can fit 35s on the stock wheels, no spacers needed
Oh, I know that I'm running 35's on stock wheels my question was that with the the chart shows the bronco w/ 33" water depth. is that on a stock Bronco or the optioned out one? because if it's stock, that's impressive! if not, well its just more "hype" and invalid because it is easily attainable with a stock JL/JLU with an inexpensive lift and 35's, Heck, even with probably 33's.

Sponsored

rockadile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
Oh, I know that I'm running 35's on stock wheels my question was that with the the chart shows the bronco w/ 33" water depth. is that on a stock Bronco or the optioned out one? because if it's stock, that's impressive! if not, well its just more "hype" and invalid because it is easily attainable with a stock JL/JLU with an inexpensive lift and 35's, Heck, even with probably 33's.
True, it is always about marketing. You think Ford is alone in this? Everyone does it. Regardless of how easy it is to add to a Wrangler, the 35s ARE best in class...until FCA decides to add it as an option. Ford is not lying here. They may be making a bigger deal out of it than the initiated know it to be, but it is not untrue.

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
lol, the door stop. I love it! however, one was accidentally pushed in when taking the doors off at the first sign on warm weather this past spring. so i spent a total of 10 mins trying to get it back out, before realizing as many times as I do doors on/off through out the summer. it saves me about 2 mins getting naked. So I just pushed them all in and I'll deal with it this fall.
I use a shoestring lever to pull them out - takes 15 seconds. Door stop does help stop the Trail Rated badge tattoo in the door though.

BeachNJeep

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubi 4xe, 2020 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L
Occupation
Sub-acute hospital administrator
Competition is good for both Ford and Jeep. As for myself, I'm a Jeep guy. Growing up, I never really saw Broncos, but I've always seen Jeeps (actually, as kid, I vaguely remember the whole OJ thing, but I had no idea what type of truck he was driving, and quite frankly, didn't care). In WW2, my grandfather drove a Jeep and my dad always wanted one (but never got one, but he enjoys the heck out of me driving him around in it). Jeeps have a heritage that can't be denied and also a HUGE aftermarket. Sure, there are those, like Consumer Reports, that pans most Jeep products, and I'm sure there are those who don't like turbo engines (myself included). But there will always be a market for these types of vehicles and those who overlook some of the short comings for the adventure and uniqueness it brings. If competition makes both brands better and more reliable and competitive in price, then we all win.

I'm not a fan of electronics for electronics sake and Ford seems to be indulging the tech crowd. Tech like that doesn't have a place in a vehicle that can be left with the top and doors off and be subject to moisture or even direct water. I've said it before, I love tech and can't wait for the prices of some second hand Tesla's to come down, but that's a car that is made for tech. These off roader's are made for the trail. (However, Ford knows that only a small fraction of it's demographic will actually use this off road, just like Mercedes and Range Rover, so they're going to push the luxury tech end). I mean, the interior also does not look like it is meant for months or years of outdoor, roof off, doors off use. But those seats sure look nice with the weathered leather treatment. It reminds me of a pair of worn and faded jeans.

Jeep will have to seriously option out it's Wrangler to compete with the on road, look at me, I want to be cool crowd. And I'm okay with that if that's why you bought a Jeep. So the Sahara has to have it all. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if they throw in a wood grained dash and massaging and ventilated seats... (will it ever end??)

Slapping a big, honkin' engine isn't only what Jeep needs to do to keep the existing faithful, faithful. It's got to stay fresh and bank on it's aftermarket and parts advantage as well as the heritage.

Here's an idea (and I know that Jeep corp watches these threads, so take some notes):

1) create a heritage edition Jeep, call it the Wrangler CJ. This sub-model will have a center mounted speedo (like the original CJ's) and be a bare bones, go anywhere ute. Or, it can be a trendy, look at me, let's have fun model. Why not throw in some flat fenders while you're at it?

2) offer factory packages to existing Jeeps for about the same price as the factory option. For example, I have a Sport S with the base radio. Offer the tech package that can be installed at the dealer or even better, a dedicated Jeep/Mopar branded garage that only does these types of retrofits. Maybe offer a Rubicon package that includes lockers and detachable sway bars. Even if only a few Jeeper's buy this, it again shows the off road community how incredibly modular and versatile a Jeep is. To set it apart from the aftermarket crowd, because I know some of you will say, "there's already shops out there that do these kinds of mods," it will be fully factory warranted and can be included with your remaining financing (that is if you still have months left on your loan).

3) push, Jeep did it first. As the pioneer in the off road game, Jeep has claim to many advances in the field. So when Ford pushes it's removable doors and tops, Jeep did it first. Locking axles, Jeep did it first. You get the picture. The other bit of humor Jeep can bring is to utilize the fact that the Bronco rides on Goodyear Wrangler rubber. They can meme, "Under every Bronco there's a Wrangler." "Wranglers tame Bronco's."

These are just some fun ideas I had after watching the reveal. Who knows, when I actually see one in the flesh, I might be tempted, but for now, I look forward to birthdays and holidays when I know that someone in my family will give me a Jeep accessory to put on my rig. And that's why we are on these forums and are so loyal anyway: we make the Jeep OUR Jeep. No two Jeeps are alike and that's what makes owning a Jeep so great.
Here's one last idea, and Jeep Corp, this really is the last freebie, that will kill Bronco sales:
Make the Wrangler a 3 row off road vehicle. I have 4 kids, so when we want to go wheeling, we either have to go with my in-laws who have a JKU or we take 2 vehicles and then rotate who goes on the trail (my other vehicle is a 2018 Tahoe). There were third row aftermarket kits for the JK and I've been scouring for aftermarket kits for the JL. It just hasn't happened. I'd rather take along extra passengers than store my doors back there.

Also, the JT is the PERFECT platform for a stretched, 3 row Jeep. Think of a Wrangler 3 row as a "Tahoe" and the Gladiator based 3 row Jeep as the "Suburban." This will KILL with parents and mall crawlers and poseurs as well as wheelers such as myself who have more kids than seats. It also gives additional options when it comes to Overlanding where one Jeep can be the people transporter and the other one the gear transporter. I know if Jeep came out with a three row Wrangler based on the Gladiator JT platform, even though I dumped thousands into my JLU, I'd get the three row. Come on, Jeep, you've got the platform. Stretch out the back seat in the JT, add a third row and still have room for inside gear.

Bronco, shmonco, give me a 3 row Jeep!

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
I am saving the popcorn for 3 years from now. For now, I'll enjoy my Jeep. All of these speculation from a movie, 2 youtube videos and a spreadsheet is a waste of time. Everything looks shiny and nice when the salesman wants to get rid of it.

L1011

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 4R but hoping for a JLU
Now that the Bronco has officially debuted, I'm hoping the competition will be good for all us consumers. The Bronco is a very compelling offering for sure. I noticed the Bronco offers LED headlights and an 8" infotainment screen standard on all models, including the base model. I hope Jeep ups their game in this area as LED headlights are a minimum $895 upgrade (as best I can tell). It would be nice if LED lighting (front/rear/fog lights) and the 7" (preferably 8") screen becomes standard across all models. I'd like to see the camera mounting accessory the Bronco has for the dashboard offered on the Wrangler (minor request). Also, the Bronco is at least nine months away from being available to actually drive off the dealer lot so Jeep has a lot of time to sell more Wranglers.
Sponsored