Sponsored

Thrumming Noise at Highway Speeds (63-67ish)

vdellanno

First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Ruuuuunnnn! From that dealer! mmm yeah a cold air intake causes a thrumming through the chassis of the vehicle uh huh... :facepalm:

Mine is still doing it with 6500mi on the clock. Just living with it though. Dont have time for the stealership shuffle. Hoping it just break soon..
Amen, brother. Last time at that place. I sent a note to JeepCares asking for some adult intervention (or maybe an introduction to a Jeep engineer that can explain to me this new technology development of a CAI being part of a modern drivetrain). This is one of those things that feels like it will just dribble along with no resolution.
Sponsored

jeepfan30

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 2.0
The rear axle on my JLR failed after <3K miles on it. After almost 2 months waiting for a replacement and having it installed, this thrumming started on mine. I took it into a different dealership this week to check it out and they are blaming it on an aftermarket CAI. Sure, that makes a ton of sense.
Did you have the thrumming on the failed axle, or did it start with the new one? Mine has been doing this since new for 14k hasn’t got any better or worse. Kinda used to it now. I figure when something breaks warranty will fix it.

vdellanno

First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
hey Jeepfan30. It started after the new axle was installed and it was one of those things that was noticeable - one of those, "that's weird I don't remember that" things. And the thrumming wasn't / isn't constant but pulsating between that MPH band. Not sure what my take is on the whole thing at this point. I guess I'll just monitor, have someone else take a look and then go from there. Your plan seems as good as any (unless they won't replace it because a technician says it's the CAI or shorty antennae or some other silly thing).

Redneck_Jedi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 2 Dr.
Vehicle Showcase
Any update on this?

mike2019

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Ocean Blue Metallic
KO2s Update... at my request my dealer agreed to switch my KO2s on my 2019 JLUR for a set of Dualers from I think a Sahara? My jeep thrums from 63 - 70ish from when I drove off the lot. Once switched no thrumming. I took it up to over 90mph and back up and down... nothing.... really smooth ride. They said when they switched 2 rears back to the KO2s and thrumming came back just not as strong. They then put the rear dualers back on for me to test drive and that was the smooth ride mentioned above up to 90mph. Then they reinstalled my KO2s and the thrumming was back but less pronounced and the speed at which it thrummed has changed. I guess they moved the tires from front to back or something. Now it is between 55 - 64mph which is better to me since I now can pass that range easily and drive at the highway speed I drive at of 65 - 70mph without a thrumming. I was happy to learn it is the tires. About a week later out of just something I thought to try... I pulled over and dropped my pressure from 38 down to 36 and almost all the thrumming is gone except at 61 - 62mph. Have to test drive again as it was on the way straight home just a few mile test on the way back.
Jeep service department says they dont return and replace tires... WHAT? I happen from day 1 and was test driven with head mechanic who confirmed the issue. He said to drive ot a feq thousand miles and we will test agin maybe tires will break in... so at 2'500 miles it was back a year later. Yes I dont drive it much yet. I have several work vans and other vehicles we use as a family with more room.
I contacted BFG about the KO2s and they said it does happen to those tires. They have a 6 year warranty which is prorated on these tires. I heard some guys on other forums say Toyota road force balance works for them but hard to find a good tire in a bunch of the KO2s.

Well after all that... what would you do.
PS... my dealer said they cannot help me but when I called BFG they told me they are on thier list of service providers to handle this and just give them my case number. I dont think I want to have them touch it.

Sponsored

JeepJohn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL
I'm interested to hear of any resolution for the vibration and noise, is this a tire design flaw or tire quality issue? I have 360 miles on my JLU Rubicon and am having the same issue from the first drive home and it's annoying given the sticker for my new jeep was over $55k. I noticed my tires were inflated to 42 lbs PSI and thought reducing to the factory recommended 37 would help. Only made the vibration worse/louder. Starts around 63 mph and up to 67 mph. Seems to be a tire issue that based on this thread is a common issue.

I just traded my 2013 JK Sahara Unlimited after a month in the dealer service and body shop due to an accident and the front drive shaft was dented causing a "similar" noise/harmonic vibration that was resolved with the new driveshaft. This issue started at ~60 mph and dropped off around 67 and then back again at 75+.
Was Jeep cares ever any help on this? They typically seem pretty worthless.

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I'm kinda not surprised? I had a pair of BFG tires on a car before and they were a pain in the butt. And fairly noisy until they warmed up.

JeepJohn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL
KO2s Update... at my request my dealer agreed to switch my KO2s on my 2019 JLUR for a set of Dualers from I think a Sahara? My jeep thrums from 63 - 70ish from when I drove off the lot. Once switched no thrumming. I took it up to over 90mph and back up and down... nothing.... really smooth ride. They said when they switched 2 rears back to the KO2s and thrumming came back just not as strong. They then put the rear dualers back on for me to test drive and that was the smooth ride mentioned above up to 90mph. Then they reinstalled my KO2s and the thrumming was back but less pronounced and the speed at which it thrummed has changed. I guess they moved the tires from front to back or something. Now it is between 55 - 64mph which is better to me since I now can pass that range easily and drive at the highway speed I drive at of 65 - 70mph without a thrumming. I was happy to learn it is the tires. About a week later out of just something I thought to try... I pulled over and dropped my pressure from 38 down to 36 and almost all the thrumming is gone except at 61 - 62mph. Have to test drive again as it was on the way straight home just a few mile test on the way back.
Jeep service department says they dont return and replace tires... WHAT? I happen from day 1 and was test driven with head mechanic who confirmed the issue. He said to drive ot a feq thousand miles and we will test agin maybe tires will break in... so at 2'500 miles it was back a year later. Yes I dont drive it much yet. I have several work vans and other vehicles we use as a family with more room.
I contacted BFG about the KO2s and they said it does happen to those tires. They have a 6 year warranty which is prorated on these tires. I heard some guys on other forums say Toyota road force balance works for them but hard to find a good tire in a bunch of the KO2s.

Well after all that... what would you do.
PS... my dealer said they cannot help me but when I called BFG they told me they are on thier list of service providers to handle this and just give them my case number. I dont think I want to have them touch it.
Any further update on your tires? Did you post this twice?

JeepJohn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL
Any further update on your tires? Did you post this twice?
I hate to say it.. I think mine is completely a tire or wheel/tire issue too. I aired down to 33 on the stock BFG/Rubicon tires and took it out on the hwy. I no longer notice the thrumming at any speed.

Sponsored

mike2019

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I hate to say it.. I think mine is completely a tire or wheel/tire issue too. I aired down to 33 on the stock BFG/Rubicon tires and took it out on the hwy. I no longer notice the thrumming at any speed.
Thats not a bad thing. Its better than trying to figure out if its in the transmission, rear, drive shaft etc... I was happy to find out it may just be tires. I hope mine stays away or I will be gettong different tires.

JeepJohn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL
Thats not a bad thing. Its better than trying to figure out if its in the transmission, rear, drive shaft etc... I was happy to find out it may just be tires. I hope mine stays away or I will be gettong different tires.
Yep! I think its just a characteristic of the 33 inch BFGs at a higher psi. Luckily airing them down also causes it to wander in the lane a lot less also. It kills two birds.

mike2019

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yep! I think its just a characteristic of the 33 inch BFGs at a higher psi. Luckily airing them down also causes it to wander in the lane a lot less also. It kills two birds.
I hope so... mine wanders like crazy... at higher speeds. Always correcting the wheel which just sucks. I have 4 other vehicles and none wander.