2018 JL Rubicon - Loose/dead stop in steering

IPSCOJL

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018SRT
This is a new JL with 200 miles on it and the steering feels loose (Jeep wanders), While driving it feels like there is a “dead spot” in my steering from about center point of the steering for about 1/2" on either side of center. Has any one else had this issue with their JL. Any help would be awesome. Thank guys!
Sponsored

PavementWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL
This is a new JL with 200 miles on it and the steering feels loose (Jeep wanders), While driving it feels like there is a “dead spot” in my steering from about center point of the steering for about 1/2" on either side of center. Has any one else had this issue with their JL. Any help would be awesome. Thank guys!
alot of people had over filled tires from dealer, and were happier after adjusting

OP
OP

IPSCOJL

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018SRT
alot of people had over filled tires from dealer, and were happier after adjusting
Mine had 47lbs in the tires from the dealer, which is 10lbs over the door jam sticker. I have lower the pressure down to 37 then 35 then 32 to try and find a spot where it felt better with very little luck. But any pressure below 35 will set off the tire pressure warning lamp. I find it hard to anyone would just live with this, my one ton truck drive better.

Fuel Fire Desire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S, 2020 JT Sport
In another thread, someone claimed (with a source) that Jeep engineered this in to reduce steer kick over sharp bumps/ rocks.

I still feel like my JLU is “darty” on the highway, where my JK never was. I’ve run my KO2’s as low as 32, and as high as 40 with no change in the darty feel. It did the same with the dumb little Sport donut tires it came with from the factory. I think it is just the way it is. After 3500mi, I’m pretty used to it now.

gentryTX

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
@IPSCOJL I'm not sure if I would describe my initial driving experience exactly the same...but I was definitely see-sawing the steering wheel on my JLUR for the first several hundred miles. I went from a BMW X5 so was definitely a unique driving experience.

I don't know if if I have just gotten used to it or things have just "broken in"over the first 3,000 miles.

I have driven through some crazy crosswinds recently...whole different issue. Aerodynamics of a cinder block.

Sponsored

lookitsadam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
I've noticed this as well but was also told it was engineered this way for steering when off roading. I test drove 2 JLUs before taking delivery of mine and all 3 drove the same way. After driving my JLU for a week I don't even notice it anymore unless it's super windy out.

PopsJeep

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Ford F150 Supercrew 4x4
I just picked up my JLU on Tuesday and had a 100 mile drive to get home. Mine felt a little darty and side to side at times during the drive home. My tires were aired at 45-46 , so after getting home I dropped the tire pressure to 37-38 and even after just 200 miles driven now, the handling seems much better. I am very pleased overall.

Rusty Teeth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Sahara Altitude
Occupation
Electronics Tech/ Fabricator/ 5G Fiber Optic Cellular Tech
I noticed a bit of squirrel at highway and beyond speeds from 15 jk to 18 JL Found 42 lbs in hot tires, AND the shiny tire shine stuff has migrated to the tread a lot and wow with the rain we have in PA.... Of course i use a tire shine product also when it gets on the tread watch out.
I seen a guy do this to his Harley tires he wasn't outta view till he hit pavement.

With extra air in the jeep tires it allowed edges to get shine creep onto the tire edge then the first turn slips wide!!!!

Also I only use digital tire gauges and many of them are off. I buy a few and then take back the inaccurate ones!

Osna 780

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR , 2012 JK Sport S.
Normal and everyone will get used to it in there own time. I felt the same way when we bought our first JKU years ago after driving cars for a long time. Enough of a dead zone to keep you alert on road and your hands safe off road. I personally don't want a tight over sensitive steering feel in a Wrangler.

Trailjeepin

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sport
When I first brought mine home I noticed a weird lock feeling in the steering wheel but only when I was backing up. I would turn and then stop turning the wheel but when I go back to turn again I feel it almost was locked for split second.

I have almost 500 miles now and have not felt it since

Sponsored

robplumm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKUR in Dozer
Normal and everyone will get used to it in there own time. I felt the same way when we bought our first JKU years ago after driving cars for a long time. Enough of a dead zone to keep you alert on road and your hands safe off road. I personally don't want a tight over sensitive steering feel in a Wrangler.
Intrigued how many reporting this are first time Wrangler owners.

It's pretty normal to have a good bit of play in the steering wheel. If you take it off road, especially in rocks, but even falling off a rut in the mud, you'll appreciate that play and the fact it doesn't snap as hard.

Merlin28

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3 JK Sahara builds , JL Rubicon, 95 XJ build

It's pretty normal to have a good bit of play in the steering wheel. If you take it off road, especially in rocks, but even falling off a rut in the mud, you'll appreciate that play and the fact it doesn't snap as hard.
YEs yes yes yes annnnd YES....

Highly doubtful someone coming from lifted JK's with 35 or 37" tires will find the JL flighty etc. Hey guys know how you get more directional stability at speed? Add caster!! get some adjustable lowers and put a couple degrees of caster into it. Just watch yr shaft angle...

Smarrtazz

First Name
Trina
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lagertha 2018 JLUR Sting Gray ;)

Valid point!

Saejin

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR - Firecracker Red
Seems only first time wrangler owners are mostly reporting this as previously said. Not sure why this wasn’t noticed by them during the test drive. I noticed it and since I owned a JKU before it was normal to me.

I think the Jeep would feel odd if the steering was as tight as my wife’s Honda’s Pilot especially once I take it off road.

I actually prefer the loose steering. Makes me feel like those old movies where you see people driving and they’re yanking the wheel left and right...ha

smuddy

First Name
shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
you guys/girls should have driven my old CJ-7s. They were known to have extremely loose steering as time went on. I swear I had a good 1 1/2" dead spot to either side of center. I was used to it but man, was it fun watching others try driving it for the first time!
Sponsored