Sponsored

So you have a Service Axle Locker warning light. How I fixed mine.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
First off, I have re geared my JLUR to 5.13 gears. The electrical component that goes bad in the rear axle has ZERO to do with a re gear. This should be warrantied by Jeep. This component has failed on many Jeeps that have not been re geared. I have spent over six weeks dealing with Jeep and Dana trying to get this resolved with zero help. The fix takes about 15 minutes. My dealership has been awesome while trying to deal with Jeep. This is a FCA Jeep problem. This is also a Dana axle problem. Dana states that Jeep will not allow them to sell the part. I say Dana problem too, because Dana is aware of the problem and will not help address it. After all they are the ones that built it.

So there is an electrical component in the rear on the locker that is not sealed properly. The seal allows differential fluid to seep into the component and then throws codes and make the locker not function properly after it is contaminated with differential fluid. This then causes the Service Axle Locker light to be displayed on the dash.

Jeep Wrangler JL So you have a Service Axle Locker warning light.  How I fixed mine. 1594725768926

Jeep will not sell the electrical component and they will not warranty it. There response is because you re geared, we will not warranty it. Mind you, this has nothing to do with a leaky component. They want to you to buy the whole rear axle assembly. They are aware that a new axle assembly is NOT needed. Just the component. So Jeep test vehicles and smashes/destroys the vehicle after testing. They often sell parts off the test vehicle to parts suppliers before crushing the vehicle. I bought the rear axle for $1961.00 so that I could remove the sensor and put it in my JLUR prior to a 5,000 mile Jeep trip. Now I have a $1961.00 paper weight in my garage...... Yes, I am aware that the crate axle is still good for those that have a sport or saharra and want to swap in a Dana 44 axle. That is not the point. The point is that it is a 15 minute job and we should not have to buy a whole axle assembly to replace one faulty component.

This is the component that goes bad. I opened up the componet and cleaned the best that I could all of the diff fluid out of it. When I reinstaled it. The locker would function again, but the Service Axle Locker warning light was still lit on the dash.

Jeep Wrangler JL So you have a Service Axle Locker warning light.  How I fixed mine. 1594726352297

So I was forced to buy the whole axle assembly to get the above pictured electrical component.

Jeep Wrangler JL So you have a Service Axle Locker warning light.  How I fixed mine. 1594726568658

Jeep Wrangler JL So you have a Service Axle Locker warning light.  How I fixed mine. 1594726599919

Jeep Wrangler JL So you have a Service Axle Locker warning light.  How I fixed mine. 1594727069785

So because this electrical component is prone to have diff fluid seep into it and ruin it and not wanting to buy another rear axle assembly to replace another component, I put RTV sealer around the cap of the component in hopes of eliminating a potential leak.

Jeep Wrangler JL So you have a Service Axle Locker warning light.  How I fixed mine. 1594727738080

Jeep Wrangler JL So you have a Service Axle Locker warning light.  How I fixed mine. 1594728159930

I am now fighting with Jeep. I will not give up. I will be contacting the better business bureau, and I have already contacted an attorney to address this via the Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act (P.L. 93-637) is a United States federal law (15 U.S.C. § 2301 et seq.)

Anyways here is a video on how to replace the sensor...electrical component on your JLUR. and my experience with Jeep.

Jeep customer service reps agree that it is not reasonable to have to to buy, wheel studs, axles, a locker, ring and pinion gears, yoke, bearing, seals, and everything else that is in a whole axle assembly, then remove the whole axle from the back of the Jeep and then install a whole new axle. Yet they refuse to warranty the part or sell the part.

Shame on Jeep. There response was literally live with the problem, or park your Jeep and wait for some aftermarket company to come out with a fix for it, or buy the whole axle assembly. Since I had a 5,000 mile Jeep wheeling trip planned.... Moab, and the Rubicon Trail from Michigan. My only option was to buy the axle assembly. Thanks for the paper weight Jeep.

Z Automotive did reach out to me on Facebook and say that they should have a fix for my problem in a few weeks or so for about $179 or so. So maybe there is a no pun intended light at the end of the dash for this JEEP problem.

1594726330200.png

1594728342858.png
Sponsored

OP
OP
wibornz

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Was changing the locker out with an ARB air locker an option?

It's crazy to have to buy a whole axle for that part!
Yes, it is, but this is something that on a $50,000+ dollar vehicle, Jeep should fix and address the issue correctly. I could buy the ARB locker, but at the end of the day, I will be able to sell the whole axle assembly and recoup most of my money. When Z-Automotive releases the aftermarket part, I will swap the part back into the crate axle and sell the complete

Glamisfan

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting-Gray JLUR
Wow, what an absolute nightmare!

Sponsored

Rsquire87

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Just reached out to @JeepCares this morning.. Day 5 at the dealership, No ETA, No loaner vehicle.. they are waiting for FCA to tell them what to try next (before they ultimately have to replace to whole axle).

OP
OP
wibornz

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Just reached out to @JeepCares this morning.. Day 5 at the dealership, No ETA, No loaner vehicle.. they are waiting for FCA to tell them what to try next (before they ultimately have to replace to whole axle).
They will replace the whole axle........ Unless you have re geared. I did not want a whole new axle because I would have to have it re geared again at the cost of $1000. But that did not matter as they would not warranty it because of the re gear.

americonium

First Name
Abe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Black
Occupation
Engineering Technician
That's a load of horseshit. I cannot believe in this day and age we're being held hostage in our own vehicles. I'm screwed if this ever happens to me. Because it won't until AFTER the warranty is over. I'm ashamed by how you've both been treated by a company that, until recently, I thought the world of. I was upset because the local dealership (not the one I bought from) refused to honor the Jeep wave free oil change. That's nothing compared to this.

OP
OP
wibornz

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation

Sponsored

HeavyUser

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I'm ashamed by how you've both been treated by a company that, until recently, I thought the world of. I was upset because the local dealership (not the one I bought from) refused to honor the Jeep wave free oil change. That's nothing compared to this.
You thought the world of FCA? God Bless your innocent soul.

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon
Great write-up! I want to add some silicone around mine just to help prevent it from happening. Absolutely fucking ridiculous Jeep will not cover and is preventing Dana from selling the part. Stuff like this is why I hope the Bronco forces Jeep to change their attitude.

TRZ

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, Ocean Blue
Great write-up! I want to add some silicone around mine just to help prevent it from happening. Absolutely fucking ridiculous Jeep will not cover and is preventing Dana from selling the part. Stuff like this is why I hope the Bronco forces Jeep to change their attitude.
If you‘ve regeared, it probably won’t hurt, but if you haven’t touched the axle and then modify that part and it leaks anyway, you’ll have voided your warranty.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
After you flushed the contaminated switch out with electrical cleaner, it worked ; would the code go away after a few cycles ? Meaning, disassemble switch, flush with electrical cleaner, dry thoroughly, reassemble with appropriate sealer ? What causes the Code, if the switch is working ? Buying a whole dam axle assembly for this is Nuts. Shame on FCA and Dana
Sponsored