Sponsored

4wd high question

jmj8355

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 2.0
Hi All, sorry if im asking a repeated question but i couldn't find a ton on the search. I am coming from a Grand Cherokee Altitude with what i think is the Quadra Tech 1 system that is awd all the time. We are getting ready to put an order in for a jlur and i want a manual however now in 2021, with auto you can get the 4 wheel high auto setup that allows you to run in a worry free mode in mixed weather. I really want the stick so im wondering how strict do you have to be with using 4 wheel high? I live in KC so we do get some snow/ice but many times its patchy after roads have been scrapped. Is it feasible to run 4 wheel high in that scenario or does the highway truly need to be fully snow covered to run 4 wheel high? My wife i believe gets a false sense of security from having that all the time awd setup and not having to worry about tearing something up but if we can run 4 wheel high in mixed road conditions without worry of tearing something up than i think i can go with the manual and save myself around 3k in the same go. Any thoughts on 4wd high usage would be appreciated!
Sponsored

Badweissenbier

First Name
Bad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Billet JLUR
For the most part you don't want to run 4H on dry pavement, you'll know it as the jeep will feel bound up every time you try and turn the wheel. I just put it in 4H when it's slick and drop it back to 2 when not, not really anything i think about.
don't overthink it, your pretty flat there so for the most part you'll probably never need it. the traction control systems do a pretty good job. Besides 4wd does nothing for stopping and that's the important part in winter driving.

OP
OP
jmj8355

jmj8355

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 2.0
Yeah i hear ya. My GC has the 8 speed and its a fantastic reliable trans but there is just something about the thought of roof off on a cool day and hearing the engine respond as i manually go through the gears that is very alluring. After all, we are looking for an experience with the wrangler more so than practicality. I just want to make sure my wife is not gonna chew my ass when she cant drive it in 4w high because she may encounter a dry patch on her way to work :)

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Is a manual worth a potential divorce? Get an automatic and shift it manually.

Sponsored

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

no one has talked about the sahara is AWD and you can get the 6speed. only down fall is the lockers maybe look into a Sahara for your wife to DD.

Badweissenbier

First Name
Bad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Billet JLUR
Yeah i hear ya. My GC has the 8 speed and its a fantastic reliable trans but there is just something about the thought of roof off on a cool day and hearing the engine respond as i manually go through the gears that is very alluring. After all, we are looking for an experience with the wrangler more so than practicality. I just want to make sure my wife is not gonna chew my ass when she cant drive it in 4w high because she may encounter a dry patch on her way to work :)
a dry patch isn't going to hurt anything, constant driving in 4H on dry roads is what will eventually cause problems.

5adventurers

First Name
Shelton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2015 Toyota 4Runner, 1991 Toyota Pickup
Perhaps the key part is TURNING on dry pavement. That's when it binds. If you drive on dry pavement and go straight, no worries (in case you forget or stumble on the dry patch).

It's pretty simple. Even wet conditions reduce resistance. But if there is slush or ice, sleet, even hail or rain, some people will use it. I've been in 4wd for 20 years and I have a 1 mile gravel driveway. I've thrown it in 4wd and forgot by the end of the driveway and headed down the road. Not until a hard turn into a parking lot did I notice. It's not likely to mess something up bit it does greatly increases the risk with friction, binding, and turn radius.

Get what you want, have fun, and now you know how to handle it.

Badweissenbier

First Name
Bad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Billet JLUR
What he said

ctJLnewbie

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'02 Audi TT '10 Audi S5 '12 BMW X5d '17 Ibis RipleyLS '18 Wrangler JL
Get the manual and don't sweat the full time 4wd. We're 16 months into owning our JL in New England, and it has never needed 4hi on the road. Yeah the winter was pretty mild, but that's the point. I think I used 4hi once to back out of my friend's ski house driveway that was iced over like a glacier.

How many days / year do you drive in snow/ice that is so bad you even think about 4hi?

All 4 drivers in our house love the manual.

Sponsored

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, BMW Z3, F650,GL63 AMG, STI
no one has talked about the sahara is AWD and you can get the 6speed. only down fall is the lockers maybe look into a Sahara for your wife to DD.
Yes like he says, the Sahara is your answer. You can drive it in AWD all the time.

OP
OP
jmj8355

jmj8355

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 2.0
Yes like he says, the Sahara is your answer. You can drive it in AWD all the time.
Not wanting to drive in it all the time. Wanting to not break something if we drive on the highway in 4w high when there is mixed snow/ice type of conditions and we encounter a patch of well plowed area. IE just wanting to know how sensitive the situation is. From other posts it sounds like if i dont use it on complete dry pavement for extended periods ill be fine and especially stay away from tight turns in 4wd high on dry pavement. All of that seems livable and low risk.

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, BMW Z3, F650,GL63 AMG, STI
Not wanting to drive in it all the time. Wanting to not break something if we drive on the highway in 4w high when there is mixed snow/ice type of conditions and we encounter a patch of well plowed area. IE just wanting to know how sensitive the situation is. From other posts it sounds like if i dont use it on complete dry pavement for extended periods ill be fine and especially stay away from tight turns in 4wd high on dry pavement. All of that seems livable and low risk.
That’s what I do with my Rubicon, but you got to be very conscious to remember to take off 4Hi. If that were a priority for me like your case, I would go with a Sahara manual and everyone is happy.

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Sahara’s full-time 4WD is only available on the 8-speed automatic. You cannot get it with the 6-speed manual
Sponsored