Sponsored

Mopar CAI kit installed on JL today. Feedback / review.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Good stuff here! Thanks all. Mopar CAI is now available to order as stock configuration. Debating if I should get it on my diesel. Can someone shed light on CAI on a diesel?
The thing I like about the factory-order option is that the factory cuts the hood. And, at $500, is cheaper than buying the unit and having it installed. That said, I'm not a CAI intake fan (but this is intriguing).
Sponsored

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
$495 is not a bad price from the factory. Think I paid $350 just for the part. So $150 to have them do it is not bad at all.

adhogg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
What did you guys do with the wire? I had it installed today for $140 (but the install process left a 1" hairline crack in the paintjob, blows) they can probably fix tomorrow, but maybe just an excuse to get a Rubi hood later

20200317_180927.jpg

Last edited:

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
What did you guys do with the wire? I had it installed today for $140 (but the install process left a 1" hairline crack in the paintjob, blows) they can probably fix tomorrow, but maybe just an excuse to get a Rubi hood later

20200317_180927.jpg
I zip tied the slack to that small radiator hose. Was the crack from removing the hood or the hood cut? $140 is pretty cheap.

adhogg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
The
I zip tied the slack to that small radiator hose. Was the crack from removing the hood or the hood cut? $140 is pretty cheap.
The crack happened when they were attaching the vent, towards the very end. Do you usually run with your vent open? Could a carwash really do much damage if you forgot to attach the door?

Sponsored

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
The

The crack happened when they were attaching the vent, towards the very end. Do you usually run with your vent open? Could a carwash really do much damage if you forgot to attach the door?
I would put mine on going through a car wash. But I only hand wash my Jeep, so its much easier for me to remember to install the door since I am out walking around it. Besides pressure washing or heavy rain I always leave the vent open.

OP
OP
JPAloha

JPAloha

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon 2 door, 2022 JL Rubicon 4xE
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Accredited Financial Planner
Vehicle Showcase
I’m debating swapping out the Mopar filter for the K&N...I got as far as ordering the K&N, pulling the Mopar one out but then thought the one I was removing looked to be as good quality as the K&N so put it back in for now.

I admit I’m unsure how to clean the Mopar filter (I don’t recall seeing it in the instructions) & have had plenty of K&N’s before so pretty familiar with pulling it, cleaning and oiling it.

Any thoughts from others that have added the Mopar CAI? Do we know who actually makes the Mopar filter?

N.C. Jeeper

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Real Estate- I can help you buy or sell anywhere!
I’m debating swapping out the Mopar filter for the K&N...I got as far as ordering the K&N, pulling the Mopar one out but then thought the one I was removing looked to be as good quality as the K&N so put it back in for now.

I admit I’m unsure how to clean the Mopar filter (I don’t recall seeing it in the instructions) & have had plenty of K&N’s before so pretty familiar with pulling it, cleaning and oiling it.

Any thoughts from others that have added the Mopar CAI? Do we know who actually makes the Mopar filter?
Not sure who makes the filter, but it’s definitely on par with K&N. It’s to be cleaned with a mild detergent and water. Flush it out in the opposite direction of the air flow as to not imbed dirt deeper into the element and do not spray with high pressure water. Just rinse in the sink or with a garden hose. Then allow to air dry, no forced air. It can damage the fibers. I’m sure you know, it’s a dry element filter so do not oil it. I’m really glad I went with the Mopar intake, at first I didn’t like it but wouldn’t go back if I could now.

Jeep Wrangler JL Mopar CAI kit installed on JL today. Feedback / review. A18591D2-B3BC-4028-8511-3D0A0B6C7FFB

Sponsored

rubileon

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR RHD 3.6
For anyone who has tried both the Mopar CAI and other aftermarket brands lile K&N, is there a difference in the sound?

N.C. Jeeper

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Real Estate- I can help you buy or sell anywhere!
For anyone who has tried both the Mopar CAI and other aftermarket brands lile K&N, is there a difference in the sound?
I have tried Bank’s “Ram Air” and the Mopar Kit. The Bank’s Kit sounds really aggressive and I liked the tone, they also claim one of the largest HP gains. It just ended up being too loud for my liking. The Mopar adds a little deeper tone but is nowhere near as loud. I think I notice a little better throttle response over stock but it’s minimal with both kits. If you want noticeable difference in throttle response, buy a Pedal Commander, if you want sound and a washable filter go with an intake.

Last edited:

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
I've owned two vehicles (non-Jeeps) where I've added CAI. You are right to home in on sound quality. Power gains are more perceptual than actual. And...there's nothing wrong with having a vehicle with a pleasing intake roar.

rubileon

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR RHD 3.6
I have tried Bank’s “Ram Air” and the Mopar Kit. The Bank’s Kit sounds really aggressive and I liked the tone, they also claim one of the largest HP gains. It just ended up being too loud for my liking. The Mopar adds a little deeper tone but is nowhere near as loud. I think I notice a little better throttle response over stock but it’s minimal with both kits. If you want noticeable difference in throttle response, buy a Pedal Commander, if you want sound and a washable filter go with an intake.
I've owned two vehicles (non-Jeeps) where I've added CAI. You are right to home in on sound quality. Power gains are more perceptual than actual. And...there's nothing wrong with having a vehicle with a pleasing intake roar.
Thanks for the replies, gents!

I wonder how the Banks compares to other CAI. With the resonator, I thought it might be quieter. I'm not after power or anything else as long as it doesn't kill the power or anything.

INCRHULK

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Program Manager, Information Technology
Clubs

If you're running in dust, or off-roading, get the severe-duty filter from aFe. The K&N is a little too porous and thin for my liking.
Sponsored