Sponsored

Loose steering feels like it has play and drifts

df007

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara 2.0
@Nole_Dynasty I'm in the CLT area too. Which dealer are you going to? Curious to hear what they have to say. Thanks.
Sponsored

thecarps

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
Occupation
Software Engineer
All - UPDATE: I found the contact info for all the top executives at NHSTA and emailed them informing them of all the 6000+ message and issues ALL relating to steering. Low and behold, 4 weeks ago the Lead Engineer at the NHTSA called me. I spoke to him for 30 minutes about all these issues. He said 100% that they are involved and are working with FCA on addressing these issues. It is a top priority and of great concern. I shared all my files, emails, contacts, and dealings with all the dealers.
Two weeks after that, I get a call from my dealer asking me to bring my Jeep in because a factory rep wanted to asses it.
During my visit, we went on a drive and agreed there was an issue. As we drove, he told me that FCA is working on a NEW steering box and adjustable ball joints to address this issue (nothing about adjustable Arms), which is something I told him they need to look at, too.
I also addressed the wandering (especially in high wind or passing trucks). I told him I suspect that is software related to inputs the computer is reading with sudden changes (a box in the wind being blown left/right) making a mistake to loosen/tighten/correct when none is needed. He seemed very interested in that, too.
So bottom line:
- FCA is aware and a forthcoming new box/joint coming within next 2-3 months
- NHTSA is aware of this and working with FCA demanding testing, results, and fixes
- More than likely a recall or another notice will be coming out to address these issues.

Let's hope it works.
Thanks for working on the NHSTA team. Share the correspondence along with contact names so we keep them honest on intent to address steering issues with JLs and Gladiators. Again.. Thank You!!

2mnycars

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I watch posts in the Gladiator Forum too.
When we reported to the dealer that our Jeep wandered, badly I asked them to confirm that fittings in the suspension were torqued properly. (I'm a recent graduate mechanical engineer. Early 1970's...)

Here's an indication of that being necessary from a recent post in the Gladiator Forum.

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/...ts-creaking-clicking-noise.32669/#post-529754

and it started here in the JLWrangler forum.......

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/clicking-noise-when-turning.9713/page-5

JEEP CARES are you watching? Surely these are safety concerns and must be addressed.

Command Line RC

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Wrangler Unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
I watch posts in the Gladiator Forum too.
When we reported to the dealer that our Jeep wandered, badly I asked them to confirm that fittings in the suspension were torqued properly. (I'm a recent graduate mechanical engineer. Early 1970's...)

Here's an indication of that being necessary from a recent post in the Gladiator Forum.

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/...ts-creaking-clicking-noise.32669/#post-529754

and it started here in the JLWrangler forum.......

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/clicking-noise-when-turning.9713/page-5

JEEP CARES are you watching? Surely these are safety concerns and must be addressed.
They haven't been addressed properly since the beginning of 2018. They won't be addressed now.

Sponsored

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Lake Norman Jeep. I had the work done at their shop they own Carolina Customs.
Curious what the dealer said? Did you get the "drives as normal" response or are they actually addressing?

So I feel any previous judgements I've had of the steering were wrong and for that I apologize. When I purchased and for the first 12K miles, I always stated that steering was no different than my stock JK Sahara that I traded. However, I strongly feel that the looseness of the steering has dramatically increased over the last 5K miles.

I've been trying to resolve myself because to my knowledge there is not an actual fix. I now probably have 3-4 inches of play at center. I've replaced the entire steering setup with steer smarts, had 3 alignments, rotated tires, balanced tires, and re-torqued everything.

I'm going to make an appointment now to have them look at because I can't find anything else that could be the cause besides the actual steering box.

What has been the general response from the dealer? Will they possibly replace steering box? Also, what are the dealer responses to owner improvements or upgrades and that effecting warranty repairs? For example, I've installed full Steer Smarts steering, Yeti track bar, Fox stabilizer and adjustable lower control arms. I would classify these all as upgrades but will any impact the warrant-ability of the steering box? I did install the sector shaft brace, which I have since removed. I'm guessing I should put the factory sector shaft nut back on, but I am leaving the track bar brace.

In my favor, I have a '19 JLUR that the dealer installed the mopar lift and 37" tires before I purchased. It was sitting on their lot that way, so they aren't items that I added. But I did upgrade components to compensate for the added weight of the tires.

Also, related but un-related, can the loose steering box cause, amplify or contribute to death wobble. I've had multiple death wobble incidents but was afraid they will blame on my modifications and not theirs. However, I've had looked at by 3 people and can not find any error in install or wear in joints (2K miles on all parts).

Thanks.

Command Line RC

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Wrangler Unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
Someone had suggest a fuse pull. My 2018 JL on 35's with a 2' lift was ALL over the road. I had to "truck driver" this rig all over the road, needless to say road trips was something I was not looking forward to. It's been like this for the better part of two years. I have done everything under the sun to make it straight...except for two things. 1) I pulled the F34 fuse....test drove it and I'll be damn if something so simple fixed it. I still head a very small dead spot. 2) Tightened the steering box...when I say tightened I mean but the tiny-est degree. I'll be damn...I can now one finger this thing down the hightway doing 70. Funny how things work.

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Someone had suggest a fuse pull. My 2018 JL on 35's with a 2' lift was ALL over the road. I had to "truck driver" this rig all over the road, needless to say road trips was something I was not looking forward to. It's been like this for the better part of two years. I have done everything under the sun to make it straight...except for two things. 1) I pulled the F34 fuse....test drove it and I'll be damn if something so simple fixed it. I still head a very small dead spot. 2) Tightened the steering box...when I say tightened I mean but the tiny-est degree. I'll be damn...I can now one finger this thing down the hightway doing 70. Funny how things work.
That was me. https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...as-play-and-drifts.3691/page-405#post-1132084

What parts have you upgraded?

Last edited:

JDM

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara Unlimited
Curious what the dealer said? Did you get the "drives as normal" response or are they actually addressing?

So I feel any previous judgements I've had of the steering were wrong and for that I apologize. When I purchased and for the first 12K miles, I always stated that steering was no different than my stock JK Sahara that I traded. However, I strongly feel that the looseness of the steering has dramatically increased over the last 5K miles.

I've been trying to resolve myself because to my knowledge there is not an actual fix. I now probably have 3-4 inches of play at center. I've replaced the entire steering setup with steer smarts, had 3 alignments, rotated tires, balanced tires, and re-torqued everything.

I'm going to make an appointment now to have them look at because I can't find anything else that could be the cause besides the actual steering box.

What has been the general response from the dealer? Will they possibly replace steering box? Also, what are the dealer responses to owner improvements or upgrades and that effecting warranty repairs? For example, I've installed full Steer Smarts steering, Yeti track bar, Fox stabilizer and adjustable lower control arms. I would classify these all as upgrades but will any impact the warrant-ability of the steering box? I did install the sector shaft brace, which I have since removed. I'm guessing I should put the factory sector shaft nut back on, but I am leaving the track bar brace.

In my favor, I have a '19 JLUR that the dealer installed the mopar lift and 37" tires before I purchased. It was sitting on their lot that way, so they aren't items that I added. But I did upgrade components to compensate for the added weight of the tires.

Also, related but un-related, can the loose steering box cause, amplify or contribute to death wobble. I've had multiple death wobble incidents but was afraid they will blame on my modifications and not theirs. However, I've had looked at by 3 people and can not find any error in install or wear in joints (2K miles on all parts).

Thanks.
You may have mentioned this before but is the Mopar Lift 3” or 4”? With 37” tires I’m thinking 4”?

Sponsored

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
You may have mentioned this before but is the Mopar Lift 3” or 4”? With 37” tires I’m thinking 4”?
Just the 2” Mopar lift. The rubicon has the higher fender so doesn’t take much lift for 37’s.

Nole_Dynasty

First Name
Seminole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR

Thanks.
I delayed the appointment as they didn’t have a loaner car available. I’m headed out of town for a few days so now I’m going I’m on 7/24. In closely monitoring this thread.

It’s a shame as we are now NOT taking the Jeep on this vacation trip where we had planned to to the Outer Banks where you can drive on the beach. I simply don’t feel safe driving it on the highway with my wife and two little ones in the car. A $60k, 2-month old vehicle should not Have this problem.

drvn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU, 2014 JKU, 2005 TJ
Vehicle Showcase
I delayed the appointment as they didn’t have a loaner car available. I’m headed out of town for a few days so now I’m going I’m on 7/24. In closely monitoring this thread.

It’s a shame as we are now NOT taking the Jeep on this vacation trip where we had planned to to the Outer Banks where you can drive on the beach. I simply don’t feel safe driving it on the highway with my wife and two little ones in the car. A $60k, 2-month old vehicle should not Have this problem.
That's some bullshit. Totally should be able to enjoy it on vacation. Im in the same position. I hope things get sorted out for you. I'm going through the process right now. Will let everyone know how changes turn out.

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
I'm fine with the steering on my JLU. I've had Wranglers for years and this one rides/drives the best of all of them. With that said I drove my Dad's beautify Hydro Blue 2020 Gladiator Sport with 285/70/17's and the steering is noticeably better. It feels smoother, more linear, and somehow lighter which I would think would make it worse.

I think there is a combination of legit problems, people having different expectations, and variances Jeep to Jeep causing a good chunk of this. Quite the nightmare.

If you don't feel comfortable taking it on trips (I drove mine 1,250 miles one-way to Toledo to visit my family for the 4th) I'd look at a Grand Cherokee. My Dad also has a 2020 GC and that thing damn near made me want to trade my JLU in for how comfy a cruiser it is!

JDM

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara Unlimited
Just the 2” Mopar lift. The rubicon has the higher fender so doesn’t take much lift for 37’s.
The DW after all that you have done is interesting and I’m not going to leave that to the last.

If the fuse pull doesn’t work I suggest that you talk to PSC. What was the caster set to when you had the alignment done?
Sponsored