Cthehentz

First Name
Kev
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU
Vehicle Showcase
I decided to just pick up the geo brackets and the adjustable track bars. Since It’s just the 2” lift (I have a Rubicon) and I will eventually get 35” tires, I figured I don’t need adjustable control arms. Did I make a good assumption?
Well I have no experience with the lift kit yet but my understanding is the relocation brackets will put you close to factory spec, adjustable will let you fine tune the suspension/geometry and alignment.
Sponsored

Jabarsetti

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Ret. USAF
Vehicle Showcase
I spent the entire 1st year of ownership reviewing, discussing on forums, watching YouTube videos, and talking with my dealer service dept(which even swayed my opinion away from going with the MOPAR). After the year I was confident and comfortable with pulling the trigger on the Rancho setup.

My initial impressions: Nothing long term yet as I have had the Rancho Kit on now for a few days but we did a nice day trip of 200+ miles through the CO mountains(all paved), hoping to get out this weekend to stretch it's legs. The lift definitely nets greater than 2" but less than 3", it is stiffer than stock, I wouldn't say it rides better or worst but it rides different. I noticed as a lot less body roll then before, and for some reason it wanders and as a bit of bump steer only at lower (in town) speeds nothing extreme I can still 1 finger/hand drive it. Overall, it looks great and should perform better on my adventures offroad. Which is why I wanted the slight lift. Now the search begins for LCA's to see if I can address the low speed bump steer/wandering.
Also, I need to try and figure out which shock setting to use on/off road current DD setting is 5 all around.

DrGroovenstein

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 335is, Honda Pilot
Did you put on the geo brackets as well, or just the lift?

GT-Jim

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Moab JL
Occupation
CAD Designer
I had the Rancho lift kit installed on our 2018 Moab about 4 months ago. Went with the 9000 shocks and the geometry correction brackets. It rides a little stiffer than stock but still a nice ride. The geometry brackets seem real nice, ours Moab always drove nice but I think it drives ever so slightly nicer. Really happy with the kit. For what its worth, the installer that I used was impressed with the kit and he said it was a real nice install and really liked the geo brackets.

Jabarsetti

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Ret. USAF
Vehicle Showcase
I spent the entire 1st year of ownership reviewing, discussing on forums, watching YouTube videos, and talking with my dealer service dept(which even swayed my opinion away from going with the MOPAR). After the year I was confident and comfortable with pulling the trigger on the Rancho setup.

My initial impressions: Nothing long term yet as I have had the Rancho Kit on now for a few days but we did a nice day trip of 200+ miles through the CO mountains(all paved), hoping to get out this weekend to stretch it's legs. The lift definitely nets greater than 2" but less than 3", it is stiffer than stock, I wouldn't say it rides better or worst but it rides different. I noticed as a lot less body roll then before, and for some reason it wanders and as a bit of bump steer only at lower (in town) speeds nothing extreme I can still 1 finger/hand drive it. Overall, it looks great and should perform better on my adventures offroad. Which is why I wanted the slight lift. Now the search begins for LCA's to see if I can address the low speed bump steer/wandering.
Also, I need to try and figure out which shock setting to use on/off road current DD setting is 5 all around.
I know this forum is titled Rancho RS 9000xl. But, to hopefully help future buyers that use the search function looking for information on the Rancho lift and or the 9000xl shocks. I will try and keep my experienced updated with any changes and/or every few thousand miles. Sorry to those that might be getting alerts.

Week 1 write-up:
20 - 2018 JEEP WRANGLER JL UNLIMITED RUBICON 4WD
2-IN. SPORT SUSPENSION SYSTEM W/ RS9000XL SHOCKS

2019 JLUR
Mileage: 300-350
Tires: Milstar Patagonia's 315/70r 17 ( Stock Rubicon wheels)
Settings: still 5 both front and rear
No additional Upgraded Steering/Suspension components ATT
Impressions:
On-Road:
After putting some extra miles on the suspension I can really feel the difference. The stiffness has settled down, don't get me wrong it's still stiffer than stock but not as rough as it was out the gate. Originally, I was worried that I was going to have to order and crawl under to install longer LCAs due to the initial bump steer, loose steering feel and the pull. But, after the past week and a few hundred miles with everything settled in I plan on waiting a bit to replace them.The suspension has started to absorbs the bumps better and I have little to no bump steer anymore, I would say this issue is no more then it was stock. Some people need to remember it is SFA and you will get some bump steer. I am not sure if "settling" or "break in period" helped with the bump steer but its not a problem anymore. I do have a slight pull or drift to the right, nothing alarming and it is still easily controlled with one hand, finger, or just a pinch (however you drive).

The loose steering is gone, the feeling is back to the way it was just after I threw 35's on the stock suspension. what was brought to my attention over the weekend is this, the major components like the steering box, throttle and transmission to include some others are learning systems. so I chalk the initial feel of the steering to either the Jeep or myself getting used to it. PSA: I have no science or research to back this statement up, it's no longer an issue so I'll take the individual(s) word and if anyone who cares too, please correct me. I promise I won't be offended!

As time becomes available, I might drop it off to make sure that everything is squared away with on an alignment rack and go from there. I am curious to know how much the Jeep has shifted and what the caster is now.

Off-Road:
As much as I tried to get out this week to "stretch" the Jeeps legs, I was unable to. Hopefully this upcoming weekend I'll be able to get it out on one of the light-medium trails around the area. The current way it handles on the road, I don't expect I will see any issues.

B/L: For those that have issue's with worst then stock feel, I would give it some time and put some miles on it(unless it's an unsafe feeling).

Sponsored

Llkindt

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jlu sport s
Anymore updates?
I know this forum is titled Rancho RS 9000xl. But, to hopefully help future buyers that use the search function looking for information on the Rancho lift and or the 9000xl shocks. I will try and keep my experienced updated with any changes and/or every few thousand miles. Sorry to those that might be getting alerts.

Week 1 write-up:
20 - 2018 JEEP WRANGLER JL UNLIMITED RUBICON 4WD
2-IN. SPORT SUSPENSION SYSTEM W/ RS9000XL SHOCKS

2019 JLUR
Mileage: 300-350
Tires: Milstar Patagonia's 315/70r 17 ( Stock Rubicon wheels)
Settings: still 5 both front and rear
No additional Upgraded Steering/Suspension components ATT
Impressions:
On-Road:
After putting some extra miles on the suspension I can really feel the difference. The stiffness has settled down, don't get me wrong it's still stiffer than stock but not as rough as it was out the gate. Originally, I was worried that I was going to have to order and crawl under to install longer LCAs due to the initial bump steer, loose steering feel and the pull. But, after the past week and a few hundred miles with everything settled in I plan on waiting a bit to replace them.The suspension has started to absorbs the bumps better and I have little to no bump steer anymore, I would say this issue is no more then it was stock. Some people need to remember it is SFA and you will get some bump steer. I am not sure if "settling" or "break in period" helped with the bump steer but its not a problem anymore. I do have a slight pull or drift to the right, nothing alarming and it is still easily controlled with one hand, finger, or just a pinch (however you drive).

The loose steering is gone, the feeling is back to the way it was just after I threw 35's on the stock suspension. what was brought to my attention over the weekend is this, the major components like the steering box, throttle and transmission to include some others are learning systems. so I chalk the initial feel of the steering to either the Jeep or myself getting used to it. PSA: I have no science or research to back this statement up, it's no longer an issue so I'll take the individual(s) word and if anyone who cares too, please correct me. I promise I won't be offended!

As time becomes available, I might drop it off to make sure that everything is squared away with on an alignment rack and go from there. I am curious to know how much the Jeep has shifted and what the caster is now.

Off-Road:
As much as I tried to get out this week to "stretch" the Jeeps legs, I was unable to. Hopefully this upcoming weekend I'll be able to get it out on one of the light-medium trails around the area. The current way it handles on the road, I don't expect I will see any issues.

B/L: For those that have issue's with worst then stock feel, I would give it some time and put some miles on it(unless it's an unsafe feeling).

Jabarsetti

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Ret. USAF
Vehicle Showcase
Anymore updates?
Well Yes,

Sorry I have been busy dealing with a death in the family and swamped with work. I took a nice(not so) 600+ mile (65-75 MPH) drive from Colorado Springs to Oklahoma City. this trip took me through NM, and TX/OK panhandle area. during the trip there and mostly through the TX/OK panhandle I had to keep my steering wheel centered at the 10 O'clock position due to a nasty right hand pull and winds. This caused my Service Stability Control light to come on, it eventually went off after I stopped to refuel. While in OKC I brought it in to a dealer to get the alignment checked. Everything was within Specs and I had them adjust the toe a little, and my caster was low, around 4.5 but again still with in Specs. the entire time I was in OKC i experienced a R-hand pull and on my return trip I fought the same issue with wind and right hand pull and service light again. Once I got into N-NM and home to Colorado the pull wasn't/isn't as bad just a slight drift to the right, nothing crazy but its still there. I went ahead and ordered the longer MOPAR fixed LCA's for $60 to try and address the issue of the slight pull bringing me back to my stock caster of around 5.6 or more. I am not ready to drop $250-$300 on adjustable ones yet as I haven't had the need for them in my off-road adventures. I am trying to keep my upgrades "as required" to fit my lifestyle and I am willing to test this out for only $60, if I need more caster I'll bit the bullet on adjustable's.

On the 10th Jeep released a TSB for a steering box issue; explaining issues in the certain conditions, similar to the ones I drove through (Hot and Humid weather). The gears in our current box are aluminum and the new ones will be steel. l have an appointment with my dealer tomorrow to get them to hopefully put me on the list to get this replaced. Also, my LCA's are due to be delivered tomorrow and hopefully I will have time this weekend to throw them on. I believe that the box is major cause of the pull due to the change of climates but time will only tell. Bottom Line, I am still happy with my purchase, only regret isn't replacing the LCA's from the beginning. I knew it could be an issue and I chose to roll the dice.

Llkindt

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jlu sport s
Well Yes,

Sorry I have been busy dealing with a death in the family and swamped with work. I took a nice(not so) 600+ mile (65-75 MPH) drive from Colorado Springs to Oklahoma City. this trip took me through NM, and TX/OK panhandle area. during the trip there and mostly through the TX/OK panhandle I had to keep my steering wheel centered at the 10 O'clock position due to a nasty right hand pull and winds. This caused my Service Stability Control light to come on, it eventually went off after I stopped to refuel. While in OKC I brought it in to a dealer to get the alignment checked. Everything was within Specs and I had them adjust the toe a little, and my caster was low, around 4.5 but again still with in Specs. the entire time I was in OKC i experienced a R-hand pull and on my return trip I fought the same issue with wind and right hand pull and service light again. Once I got into N-NM and home to Colorado the pull wasn't/isn't as bad just a slight drift to the right, nothing crazy but its still there. I went ahead and ordered the longer MOPAR fixed LCA's for $60 to try and address the issue of the slight pull bringing me back to my stock caster of around 5.6 or more. I am not ready to drop $250-$300 on adjustable ones yet as I haven't had the need for them in my off-road adventures. I am trying to keep my upgrades "as required" to fit my lifestyle and I am willing to test this out for only $60, if I need more caster I'll bit the bullet on adjustable's.

On the 10th Jeep released a TSB for a steering box issue; explaining issues in the certain conditions, similar to the ones I drove through (Hot and Humid weather). The gears in our current box are aluminum and the new ones will be steel. l have an appointment with my dealer tomorrow to get them to hopefully put me on the list to get this replaced. Also, my LCA's are due to be delivered tomorrow and hopefully I will have time this weekend to throw them on. I believe that the box is major cause of the pull due to the change of climates but time will only tell. Bottom Line, I am still happy with my purchase, only regret isn't replacing the LCA's from the beginning. I knew it could be an issue and I chose to roll the dice.
Sorry to hear about your unfortunate circumstances. Glad your still enjoying the lift. I really hope for the sake of everyone they get this steering corrected, properly! I had a Tacoma that I drove from Phoenix to Mexico for a long vacation. One hour south of the border I had a blister form on my duratrac, front right...son of a gun was pulling me to the right all week plus my 6 hour ride home..not enjoyable, plus the worry it was going to blow out but thank God it got me home... PS should add my spare was taking off so I could spray down the undercarriage and I never put it back on under the truck..talk about beating yourself up!!!! Thanks for the update look forward to seeing more!! Have a great wekend

Jabarsetti

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Ret. USAF
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry to hear about your unfortunate circumstances. Glad your still enjoying the lift. I really hope for the sake of everyone they get this steering corrected, properly! I had a Tacoma that I drove from Phoenix to Mexico for a long vacation. One hour south of the border I had a blister form on my duratrac, front right...son of a gun was pulling me to the right all week plus my 6 hour ride home..not enjoyable, plus the worry it was going to blow out but thank God it got me home... PS should add my spare was taking off so I could spray down the undercarriage and I never put it back on under the truck..talk about beating yourself up!!!! Thanks for the update look forward to seeing more!! Have a great weekend
thank you,
I hope the box solves the issue, My Jeep drove great before the lift and I have only taken the trip back to OKC 1 other time with it last October, so it wasn't as hot though it did have a pull, it was due to winds in the TX/OK plains. I do feel that my steering box is an issue but I am almost certain that the low caster exacerbated the pull and because my jeep drove great before I am just trying to get it as close to that feeling with the MOPAR LCA's. She isn't a pavement princess by any means but not an extreme rock crawler , just something in between. I don't want to spend unnecessary $$$'s on things I really don't need.

Jabarsetti

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Ret. USAF
Vehicle Showcase
So, this will be my final write-up pending anything major issues happens. Over the past few weeks, I had the new steering box installed and I also replaced the LCA's with the longer MOPAR LCA's myself (super easy job). My caster is now sitting right around 6* and the Jeep drives perfect with nice tight steering with only a slight pull sometimes due to the road crowning. I did have some issues with a nasty creaking sound during acceleration in wet/humid conditions and with some great advice from the Forum members this weekend I crawled under and rechecked all the torque on the LCA's and sure enough the rear driver was loose! Now, with everything buttoned up and 3k + miles on this lift I can say without a doubt I would highly recommend it. @RanchoShocks

All issues I ran across was self induced by not installing it myself , which leads to my only regret; was rushing to get it installed and not taking the time to do it myself. I instead I payed what I thought was a trusted local mechanic to do the install which was done incorrectly. I still need to go through and triple check the rest of torque specs. Now that I have found (corrected) this noise issue, I can almost guarantee they didn't take a torque wrench to any of the lift :mad: Especially since I brought it back to them to check the torque @ 500 miles on the lift.

You live and you learn and I am slowly becoming more confident at wrenching on my Jeep.

Happy Jeep'n!!!

Sponsored

OBJLU

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I have the 9000XL, my only wish is they had a bit more travel but the ride is great, soft for the rocks, stiff for the streets, I can corner like a mofo.

Jabarsetti

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Ret. USAF
Vehicle Showcase
I have the 9000XL, my only wish is they had a bit more travel but the ride is great, soft for the rocks, stiff for the streets, I can corner like a mofo.
I haven't done the research, but I wonder difference is, say compared to the fox 2.0's shock as far as travel? just to compare it to say Dynastar's lift, which would be the next closes in price as far as a true 2" suspension lift that I would have purchased.

OBJLU

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I haven't done the research, but I wonder difference is, say compared to the fox 2.0's shock as far as travel? just to compare it to say Dynastar's lift, which would be the next closes in price as far as a true 2" suspension lift that I would have purchased.
They have plenty of travel with the DRS engaged it's enough but I'm looking for a bit more.

Llkindt

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jlu sport s
They have plenty of travel with the DRS engaged it's enough but I'm looking for a bit more.
They do sell the 9000x in four different lengths, but the longer ones do require a new front drive shaft. Also, I'm not sure how much travel you can get before the spring becomes un seated. @RanchoShocks should be able to help.

Jabarsetti

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Ret. USAF
Vehicle Showcase
Makes sense, for me I haven't had the need (yet) here in CO. I however, try to stay out of extreme trails/obstacles if I can. I know the jeep can handle them but I haven't found away to wrap my brain around climbing major boulders or coming off of large steps. This, here tested the travel
pretty well both up and down, can't really tell in this picture but it put me in a really nice of camber position. I never lost my footing and had the old cheeks clenched especially with the wet rocks. I am sure as I progress through my Jeep stages I'll eventually feel the need.

Jeep Wrangler JL Anyone Running Rancho RS9000XL roxk wall
Sponsored