Installed Insane Audio JL3001 Head Unit today

Kidcia

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jeep wrangler jl
Thanks I will give it a try, can you reply to text messages also on the radio?
You should be able to. I’ve read about shouter but never needed it. Tbh the best way to dive into this radio is to first dive into the forums. Answered all my questions and then some
Sponsored

Joe_S

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S
Any Apple CarPlay users having issues with wireless connectivity? About 70% of the time, it connects to my phone no problem. But sometimes it just sits at "waiting" forever. Powering of the radio and quickly turning it back on usually fixes the problem and it connects. However, sometimes it just won't connect after several attempts.

I can't seem to figure out what the problem is. I've tried several different things to no avail. I can't nail down the culprit, and IA was no help. Their email response was pretty much CarPlay bad, android has so many more apps to use.

Kidcia

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jeep wrangler jl
Any Apple CarPlay users having issues with wireless connectivity? About 70% of the time, it connects to my phone no problem. But sometimes it just sits at "waiting" forever. Powering of the radio and quickly turning it back on usually fixes the problem and it connects. However, sometimes it just won't connect after several attempts.

I can't seem to figure out what the problem is. I've tried several different things to no avail. I can't nail down the culprit, and IA was no help. Their email response was pretty much CarPlay bad, android has so many more apps to use.
I got the same info you did. Apple bad. Android good. I know it sounds horrible but I keep my glove box locked and my Apple wire hanging out. When in use I leave my phone on the front most part of the shifter. Never fails to connect. And if you have multiple phones connecting you’ll have even more issues as it gets confused as to which it should connect to. That’s why I recommend as well as them to just plugging it in. Even tho it sucks

angustx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I got the same info you did. Apple bad. Android good. I know it sounds horrible but I keep my glove box locked and my Apple wire hanging out. When in use I leave my phone on the front most part of the shifter. Never fails to connect. And if you have multiple phones connecting you’ll have even more issues as it gets confused as to which it should connect to. That’s why I recommend as well as them to just plugging it in. Even tho it sucks
I just wish IA would build in a 4G modem to the head unit. Honestly, wireless CarPlay was tempting but hearing it doesn’t work well and that there are no plans to have built in 4g connectivity has me exploring other options.

Joe_S

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The Nav is getting irritating as well. Out of a dozen or so attempts, it's only worked once. It always just sits at acquiring satellites. So I'm stuck using CarPlay for google maps, which again isn't reliable either. Starting to regret my $1400 investment.

Sponsored

Kidcia

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jeep wrangler jl
I just wish IA would build in a 4G modem to the head unit. Honestly, wireless CarPlay was tempting but hearing it doesn’t work well and that there are no plans to have built in 4g connectivity has me exploring other options.
I said the same. A simple SIM card slot to make it like a tablet or phone would’ve been perfect!

angustx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I said the same. A simple SIM card slot to make it like a tablet or phone would’ve been perfect!
When I contacted support with the feature request, I got a two page email telling me how I didn’t need it. There are really three things I require in my head unit:

1. Factory controls
2. Wireless CarPlay
3. Integrated 4g

Everything else is gravy.

Kidcia

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jeep wrangler jl
When I contacted support with the feature request, I got a two page email telling me how I didn’t need it. There are really three things I require in my head unit:

1. Factory controls
2. Wireless CarPlay
3. Integrated 4g

Everything else is gravy.
Yeah there not very open to suggestion as I’ve learned. I spoke to one of there techs when I had a problem. There very suggestive to what’s already there and dismissive to what’s not. A dedicated connection is as useful to this radio as it is my phone. What good is a laptop with no internet. Connections between items tend to suck.

angustx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah there not very open to suggestion as I’ve learned. I spoke to one of there techs when I had a problem. There very suggestive to what’s already there and dismissive to what’s not. A dedicated connection is as useful to this radio as it is my phone. What good is a laptop with no internet. Connections between items tend to suck.
At this point, I am just hoping @JeepCares and Mopar provide some upgrade path to uconnect5 for those of us who have already purchased and are stuck with the current factory head unit.

Kidcia

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jeep wrangler jl
At this point, I am just hoping @JeepCares and Mopar provide some upgrade path to uconnect5 for those of us who have already purchased and are stuck with the current factory head unit.
I doubt it and all the upgrades are pretty expensive. I only went with insane cause there’s so much you can do with it. But I expected it to be less reliant on my phone. I’m not going to say it’s not an amazing radio. But I think 1500 was a little much. A friend of mine has everything I have except front view camera and the option of putting a projector to his radio and he paid about 400 for his Japanese radio, has the same kinda issues we have too. But no apple CarPlay.

Sponsored

First Name
Damian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sahara JLU
Just installed my Insane Audio head unit on Friday and played with it for a couple of days. I am an android user so I really didn't experience the issues you apple guys are going through. For navigation I have been using google maps because I wanted to maintain my history carried over from my phone. I will play with insane factory nav soon enough.

I purchased a Linkswell unit but it had definite issues and because of those issues I think Insane Audios offering is worth the $1400 price point... at least till there is better competition. I think they should have had at least a 1080p display at that price but hey, for some reason no one is doing it.

Audio sounds so good! I have factory speaks besides my subs and everyone who hears it thinks I changed my entire system.

Call quality is not good. The built in microphone sounds like you are talking from the back of the jeep according to everyone I have spoken to through it. Currently have to lean closer to my radio to have conversations when driving on the highway. This is a shame because I will now have to take the unit out to install the external mic to hopefully get a better experience.

Factory rear camera comes pre-wired so you no longer have to do any of the special connections they mentioned in the install videos which was nice. I don't know why the parking lines have to be manually turned on in settings, if anything it should be an option from the reverse camera screen. Not a big deal since you really only do this once. The main problem I am currently facing with the radio is how fuzzy the rear view camera is.

Is anyone else having issues with the clarity of the rear view? I can't see any options to adjust picture quality. If someone has resolved this it would be great.

Joe_S

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Spoke with an engineer from Insane the other day. They're sending me a new gps antenna to hopefully solve that issue.

They also suggested turning off Bluetooth and hotspot and turning them back on to completely kill any connections the iPhone may be holding onto. I haven't had any wireless connection issues since.

Last edited:

Kidcia

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jeep wrangler jl
Spoke with an engineer from Insane the other day. They're sending me a new gps antenna to hopefully solve that issue.

They also suggested turning off Bluetooth and hotspot and turning them back on to completely kill any connections the iPhone may be holding onto. I haven't had any wireless connections since.
Yeah even after all that even restarting my phone it’s just a temp fix. It’s kinda like when I worked at Honda that was the temp fix for a lot of things. Battery reset, clear codes, restart phone. Hopefully many of the bugs and things I hate while using my iPhone get fixed between Apple and ia.

Joe_S

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Is anyone else having issues with the clarity of the rear view? I can't see any options to adjust picture quality. If someone has resolved this it would be great.
I believe the issue is that the original video feed wasn't meant for such a large screen. The stretching is causing the blurry picture.

MC3311

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
yea my rearview camera is blurry and washed out. was ver crisp and clear before install of IA. need a contrast brightness adjustment
Sponsored