Not open for further replies.

DaveNH

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Sonata
This^^ If they are gonna do it it will be the Gladiator it's the only one that makes sense..... Better towing capabilities
I doubt that the tow rating would increase, just as the diesel is rated lower than a Max tow Gladiator.

The issue with the diesel was supposedly cooling, due to the space taken up by the charge air cooler. I would suspect that a Hemi would be similarly limited.
Sponsored

DaveNH

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Sonata
Correct. He did state that. However, if FCA desires to put a V8 in the Wrangler. They certainly have the engineering know how to acccomplish it and ameliorate any of the safety concerns. It just costs money to do it.
Reactive armor.

I mean, the crash test standards don't say the other vehicle's occupants have to survive, right?

spurly

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White JLUR
Everything that's happening here, YouTube, Facebook, Instagram is exactly what Jeep wants. Extra buzz and attention pulled away from the Bronco. I still think it says 3.92 and I have a hard time believing they'll put a 6.4 in a Wrangler, the lawyers wouldn't allow it. A 5.7 is more believable.

DaveNH

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Sonata

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
A few automakers have said that building a 2.0 liter 4-cyl that can be expanded into a 3.0 liter I-6 by adding 2 cylinders, or a 4.0 liter I-8 by bolting two 2.0-liter 4 cylinder motors together, can save billions of dollars in development and regulatory costs. Turbocharging can further expand this family of motors without the cost of developing separate V6 and V8 motors. I believe this is the line of attack FCA is following as well.

I have owned several FCA vehicles with 6.1 and 6.4 HEMIs. They were great, sweet and good fun. But the day of huge motors has truly sailed IMO. HEMIs sound great, but they tend to be heavy and bulky. Shoehorning a 6.4L HEMI into a JL, particularly at this point, highlights FCA’s ongoing unwillingness to spend time, money and resources on real innovations.

Sponsored

Young04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Earl 392

rubileon

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR RHD 3.6
This article does not support your point that big displacement engines are not dead in passenger vehicles. Quote:

The EPA doesn't require automakers to report fuel-economy figures for pickups with a GWVR of over 8500 pounds, so these trucks can be as efficient or inefficient as the automakers like.
Where did you see me saying "big displacement engines are not dead in passenger vehicles"?

Or did you just assume?

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link

Young04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Earl 392
Where did you see me saying "big displacement engines are not dead in passenger vehicles"?

Or did you just assume?
You called out this part of someone else's post: " But the day of huge motors has truly sailed IMO" with an article talking a newly developed 7.3L pushrod V8. Mine seems like the most logical interpretation of your point.

Sponsored

sost1sg

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR; 2015 SRT Grand Cherokee
I have a grand Cherokee SRT and one of the things to remember is these are niche vehicles built for one purpose - street and track. This is about as far off-road as my grand Cherokee can handle:

Jeep Wrangler JL Jeep Teases 392 6.4L Hemi V8 Wrangler?! 99BA8945-CB14-425C-861A-F4C4F24ABE20

If they were to drop a 6.4 in the wrangler I don’t think it would be reasonable to expect it to be a trail vehicle. Like the grand srt, I’m sure there will be plenty of buyers who never take their wranglers off-road anyway who flock to it.

breakerbaker

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2.0 JLU Sport S, 2015 Kawasaki Ninja 650, 2003 100th Anniversary Harley-Davidson Softtail
Occupation
Navy Doc
They cannot just drop a 392 in the JL currently due to safety standards. They would have to lengthen the front end to allow a better "crumple" zone to pass safety measures. I personally believe this is a publicity shot at Ford's Bronco getting release in 12 hours now.

As for me, I have already placed my 2021 order for a JLU Sport fully loaded. I'll just slap a "392" badge on the hood and call it a day!

TXRubicon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR, '23 Porsche Cayman GTS
It unfortunately reeks of desperation by FCA. There is no way that teaser is of a production vehicle and is likely an EJS concept they haven’t shown yet due to EJS being cancelled.

FCA has every right to be worried and I’d be sweating if I were in product planning but releasing this teaser with no context is just silly.

I personally believe this is a publicity shot at Ford's Bronco getting release in 12 hours now.

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
There is clearly a dot/point located between 3 and 9 when filtered through photoshop. Still could be a stunt!

392.jpg
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.