Sponsored

Update: 2018 JL Wrangler Production Begins 10/16, Now in Dealership Ordering/Allocation Systems

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Will pricing be known when order banks open?

The vehicles will really sit in outdoor lot for 2-3 month prior to delivery?
It doesn't really hurt them. Many will spend their entire lives outdoors, and there are many new vehicles that spend up to a year on a dealer's lot, sometimes even more. I've got a '99 Mercedes E430 that was put on the new lot in '98 and was purchased in 2000 at a deep discount to clear out the '99 model year cars. It sat out for about 15 months. Still looked and smelled brand new when we took delivery.
Sponsored

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
It doesn't really hurt them. Many will spend their entire lives outdoors, and there are many new vehicles that spend up to a year on a dealer's lot, sometimes even more. I've got a '99 Mercedes E430 that was put on the new lot in '98 and was purchased in 2000 at a deep discount to clear out the '99 model year cars. It sat out for about 15 months. Still looked and smelled brand new when we took delivery.
I guess that's true. Hopefully they don't collect spiders! My new Honda was riddled with little spiders that I suspect were from a parts supplier, the factory, transport or dealer.

wired

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Red with soft top
Yes, many of the dealers are clueless. Two weeks ago my 2015 JKU did 2.5 flips after oncoming driver fell asleep and hit me near head-on. Now I'm without a Jeep (but gratefully alive). Went to dealer to order another and almost ordered a new 2018 JL (which clearly would have been a 2018 JK). Glad I found this site first! Now uncertain what to do with this delay. I can continue to rent a vehicle I suppose till mid January. I am still a little confused about what will be available when. I want a JLU (red) Rubicon with Recon-type options manual trans. and only a soft top (I have a 2015 hard top in the garage that has been on the Jeep only 1 month.) Any guesses when I could have this vehicle. (or any other advice appreciated)

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, many of the dealers are clueless. Two weeks ago my 2015 JKU did 2.5 flips after oncoming driver fell asleep and hit me near head-on. Now I'm without a Jeep (but gratefully alive). Went to dealer to order another and almost ordered a new 2018 JL (which clearly would have been a 2018 JK). Glad I found this site first! Now uncertain what to do with this delay. I can continue to rent a vehicle I suppose till mid January. I am still a little confused about what will be available when. I want a JLU (red) Rubicon with Recon-type options manual trans. and only a soft top (I have a 2015 hard top in the garage that has been on the Jeep only 1 month.) Any guesses when I could have this vehicle. (or any other advice appreciated)
Wow, glad you are ok!

Sponsored

wired

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
wreckedjeep.jpg

Armycop

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Wrangler, 2010 Camaro SS, 2017 Passat R-Line
Damn that was my favorite JK color. Sucks the initial colors on the JL are so limited.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Damn that was my favorite JK color. Sucks the initial colors on the JL are so limited.
Yeah, I was about to say, that's the color I'm hoping for on the JL!

Again, glad you made it out of that ok!

wired

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks. The Jeep took the wreck well as far as protecting the passenger. Do any of you who have some insight on understanding what we know about the production timetable have any insight for me as to when a build like I mentioned above will be obtainable? I am about to either have to buy a vehicle or commit to a long term rental, and they want an end date. Thanks for any help.

MLPP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Willys JK 6M
I am still a little confused about what will be available when. I want a JLU (red) Rubicon with Recon-type options manual trans. and only a soft top (I have a 2015 hard top in the garage that has been on the Jeep only 1 month.) Any guesses when I could have this vehicle. (or any other advice appreciated)
Have you seen this thread and schedule chart?

http://www.jlwranglerforums.com/for...l-delay-powertop-diesel-job-1-dates-etc.1341/

jl-wrangler-timeline-by-jlwranglerforums-small-jpg.jpg

4-door JLU begins production on 10/16 and should be available in red from the beginning. If you want the 3.6L Pentastar that should also be built right from the beginning.

But soft top JLU doesn't look like it starts production until December.

The scheduled doesn't indicate when manual transmission or particular Recon-type options is first available so based on the info we have so far it'd be hard for anyone to predict when you could spec out the exact build you want.

Sponsored

wired

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks. Looks like I'll need a long term rental or make other plans. Hate to buy a hardtop I'll never use, and who knows when I can get the options I want.

nowandthen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKUR, 1989 Toyota standard cab pickup
Wired,

Air bag didn't deploy?

You are very lucky!

wired

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Good observation. I almost dodged him and cut left as there was no shoulder on the right going down the mountain. He hit me on my right rear quarter panel, throwing me into a spin then roll first sideways then end over end. Front bumper was beat up where it flipped, but no major impact on front end

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
I want a JLU (red) Rubicon with Recon-type options manual trans. and only a soft top (I have a 2015 hard top in the garage that has been on the Jeep only 1 month.) Any guesses when I could have this vehicle. (or any other advice appreciated)
Having gone through pretty much the exact same challenge... see pic below..

I had the same issue wanting a good coloured Rubicon or HR (for visibility in bad conditions), and needing a replacement in time for ski season, I was stuck 3mth past the time for getting Baja or Sunset, and before any bright colour was coming out. So I had to decide on flat colour HR (which I don’t like flat colours for white out and dark highway use) or get non HR or wait with longer term rental until colours changed in March. I found the A-X in Baja after looking for suitable Rubis across the country.

In the case of the JL there are two things working against you, soft top delay (as already mentioned) but it’s a minor delay, and then Special Edition trim delay. Soft top is coming sooner, however a Recon-level trim doesn’t appear in the dealer system for launch, but there is likely something similar arriving with a likely Rubicon 15A edition which would be in March.

Now we might also get a capable Winter edition as well, although it would likely come in Sahara trim level, which is good to have Selec-Trac for the winter model, but not quite as capable (2.72:1 TC instead of 4:1, and softer suspension, less agressive tyres, etc) as the Rubi+ you may be seeking whatever it ends up being called if not a 15A.

If it weren’t for Selec-Trac, I’d be looking to go the Rubi+route, now I just hope the 2019 Winter Edition with Selec-Trac has a lot of features from whatever Rubi+ we get.

So your wait, might be shorter than mine would’ve been, but that does depend on what arrives in March.
However important to note for your decision making process, the Special Editions will be announced at launch so you don’t have to wait that long to get an idea of what your options are, likely all will be revealed within a month or so (possibly SEMA in 3 weeks or LA Auto Show in twice that time).

Hopefully you can get an HR/Recon style update sooner rather than later. My only concern is if they wait for the diesel and tougher 8HP75 to make a top trumps (top spec) Rubi+ , which would mean the wait is much longer, likely happening as a 2019 update.

my forced upgrade moment..

E5CF108A-E95D-4472-A711-2E3DF33FDCEF.jpeg

wired

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks Grape Ape. If I am waiting until March or later it may not make sense to rent. The good news is that thanks to good resale value I got reimbursed $3000 less than purchase price so I have a good check for down payment. I'll keep watching this site for updates and considering my options. Hope you came out of your accident ok
Sponsored