Not open for further replies.

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLU Rubicon 6-speed
It’s nice that they’re coming out with more options. I want a fully electric one now! :rock:
Since FCA is basically paying for the construction of Tesla's Gigafactory outside Berlin with emission offsets, they should try to team with Tesla and come out with an all-electric Wrangler. They would be years ahead of the competition and get the best components. They would absolutely kill it, especially if they had access to Tesla's supercharger network.
Sponsored

Oilburner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps
If it was an inline 6 with a displacement of 3.92L, wouldn't they just round up and call it the new 4 liter?
Or maybe it represents “392” HP from a turbo 6?

PS: Back in the day, a stroked 4.0L sounded pretty good, but today’s turbo motors just seem to go “Bzzzzzzzz.....”

PillowFightr

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Data Center Engineer
For those who are saying "This is a EJS concept type thing", here is the 2016 EJS concept, it was a HELLCAT engine!

So logically, if they did another EJS concept for April 2021, it would be a demon engine and it should be called the "trail demon"

That and the timing of that picture teaser on Instagram... I truly think they will announce the HEMI!

For me, i have a 2021 diesel Rubicon on order. I would have ordered a diesel either way even if a HEMI was an option at the same price.. The diesel gets all the torque at 1600 rpm and its use case is Overlanding so for me it should be perfect!

I really hope for you speed junkies out there, that Jeep does make this HEMI option a reality and soon!

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Hemi might also solve JL’s steering issues if they use the EJS build from a few years ago

“Engine bay space constraints due to that V8 necessitated a steering box from the last-gen Wrangler; the hydraulic steering in the JK Wrangler takes up less room than the electrically-assisted steering in the new JL Wrangler.”

Jeeperob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R || 2021 Hellayella Rubicon JLU
Bookmarked for later.

i think it will happen.and if it does itis not a victory for FCA. It is a stopgap because they have taken too long to develop a turbo 6. Which i think is the result of trying to add turbo to the 3.6 and failing.
Hey, when you say the turbo failed on the 3.6 ...I didn't know they'd been trying. I know you can get aftermarket ones...how have they failed at this? Why do the aftermarket ones work? -- or do they? lol

R

Sponsored

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
For those "I wished I waited before ordering the 2021", don't fret, you will likely be ready to trade in your new 2021 by the time the Hemi makes it into production.

Question: How long did the JL Diesel take to enter production after it was hinted to the public?

Jeeperob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Smoother output, more torque, more efficient, all you mentioned above, and the Hemi is getting long in the tooth again. They’ve squeezed almost all they can out of the design.
Interesting point. Almost like IF they do add it to the Wrangler, they know people will buy it and it just adds money to their pocket at the same time. For a 10+ year old motor (?) I guess that's good for FCA right....

I posted opposing viewpoints on this, but with my Bronco fetish creeping up if it was an I6 like my old BMW N55 motor...this would make my decision very difficult...that's how much I liked that I6!!

RUSTYS

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Occupation
Guitar slinger
Hey, when you say the turbo failed on the 3.6 ...I didn't know they'd been trying. I know you can get aftermarket ones...how have they failed at this? Why do the aftermarket ones work? -- or do they? lol

R
I think he might be talking about litebrite and the shitshow they had when they installed their turbo.

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Bigger radiator, bigger fans. If they can pack V8's into small aerodynamic sports cars the Wrangler has plenty of space in comparison.
So why the issue of having a 2.0T in a Gladiator? I thought heat management was the issue and if a bigger radiator and fans could make it happen....why were they saying heat management reasons, especially for towing? Unless I’ve completely misunderstood the last year.

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Not to mention fuel economy. The Wrangler decimates fuel economy. Look what it does to the Pentastar which gets respectable gas mileage in other vehicles. Now take a 392, which already gets abysmal fuel economy, and apply the Wrangler factor to that.
Accurately, they can get ducking outstanding economy lol. Seriously! Go to a Challenger/Chager SRT 392 forum and ask. I got just shy of 29mpg with 4cyl eco mode on weighing about 5000 loaded lbs at 70 mph both ways! And in a 485 hp 470ish lb ft torque tire shredder!

I should have kept that 15 Challenger SRT 392.

Sponsored

Jeeperob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would take a well-executed turbo six over a non-performance variant V8 any day. The only advantage the V8 has is sound. Other advantages of a well-executed turbo six outweigh that.
I dunno man. As I said, I6 sounds very nice. I have a NA V8, it sounds amazing in it's own way.

Young04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Earl 392
Accurately, they can get ducking outstanding economy lol. Seriously! Go to a Challenger/Chager SRT 392 forum and ask. I got just shy of 29mpg with 4cyl eco mode on weighing about 5000 loaded lbs at 70 mph both ways! And in a 485 hp 470ish lb ft torque tire shredder!

I should have kept that 15 Challenger SRT 392.
Look up the numbers on a Grand Cherokee SRT.

Young04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Earl 392
I dunno man. As I said, I6 sounds very nice. I have a NA V8, it sounds amazing in it's own way.
As someone who also has a couple of BMWs (see my sig), I fully appreciate the I6. In terms of just sound though I prefer the V8. Obviously, we're both talking personal opinion.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
So why the issue of having a 2.0T in a Gladiator? I thought heat management was the issue and if a bigger radiator and fans could make it happen....why were they saying heat management reasons, especially for towing? Unless I’ve completely misunderstood the last year.
The Gladiator is all about towing capacity. They had to have class leading or it would be a really tough sell in the mid-size truck market as so many really good, and to be honest much better, options.

The market for someone to take a Gladiator and use it off road like a Wrangler is much smaller then someone to buy a Gladiator and use it as a midsize truck with the unique factor being tow capacity and convertible.

I see idiots all the time here in MD towing BIG boats with Gladiators. Must be at or beyond max weight. You watch them pull out and they have anemic acceleration with such a load. But it got the stamp it can do it so those will do it.

I once owned a Audi Q7 Gas 3.6L that could tow 7000 lbs on paper but it didn't mean you wanted to do that very often - until the TDI version came and completely transformed the vehicle. I think the 3.0L Diesel will do the same for the Gladiator.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link

R
They were talking about it. Then they seemed to give up on it. I read somewhere it didn’t pan out. But can’t find the source.

here’s an article on the original plan

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ro...s/news/amp30625/pentastar-turbo-hemi-pricing/

if i was a shareholder I’d be pissed about all this fucking around. Look at what Ford has right now.

And aftermarket doesn’t have the same regulations as factory
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.