Sponsored

Paint Protection Film/Ceramic Coat worth it?

Kizzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Wrangler
I guess I still think people take their wranglers off road. Silly me. Wrangler owners are probably more prone to curb rash these days than trail rash.
Well the majority of Wrangler owners don't go off road. I think it's like only 10-20% that actually do serious off-road activities with the vehicle. I mean, who wants to take a nearly 60K vehicle that is also their daily driver and have it banged up? Now if you are wealthy and have a second vehicle then it's probably no issue since the Wrangler is your "fun" car for going off-road.
Sponsored

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
Hell I know guys that spend 60k on a vette, then another 20k making it faster. Then will absolutely not race it at all. I bought my Jeep knowing I will never go off road. I don't enjoy it any less.

Just because another owner doesn't fit into your narrow Jeep ideology doesn't mean they should not own one. Different strokes, get over it!

MNWrangx2

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Rubicon, 2013 JK Wrangler Unlimited Freedom
Well the majority of Wrangler owners don't go off road. I think it's like only 10-20% that actually do serious off-road activities with the vehicle. I mean, who wants to take a nearly 60K vehicle that is also their daily driver and have it banged up? Now if you are wealthy and have a second vehicle then it's probably no issue since the Wrangler is your "fun" car for going off-road.
I do - have to have that mid-life crisis vehicle. Although was "only" $43k (but yeah, around 60 now); yes probably the most expensive vehicle I will ever have. Totally take it off road, but the trail rash last weekend has me thinking about the paint film now - or something like Trail Scales (https://www.trailscales.com/) or more likely 3M PPF discussed here. My wife's JKU is my mall crawler. I just try to remember that I have to drive that JLR home and to work (whenever normal life resumes).

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
I do - have to have that mid-life crisis vehicle. Although was "only" $43k (but yeah, around 60 now); yes probably the most expensive vehicle I will ever have. Totally take it off road, but the trail rash last weekend has me thinking about the paint film now - or something like Trail Scales (https://www.trailscales.com/) or more likely 3M PPF discussed here. My wife's JKU is my mall crawler. I just try to remember that I have to drive that JLR home and to work (whenever normal life resumes).

Decal wrap or stickers are nowhere near as durable as PPF also have about 1/2 the life of PPF so keep this in mind

MNWrangx2

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Decal wrap or stickers are nowhere near as durable as PPF also have about 1/2 the life of PPF so keep this in mind
OK, thank you. Just trying to figure it out! Hadn't heard of PPF until I found this thread. I had been trying to find something like the JK Rugged Ridge and Smittybilt panels that attach magnetically for just trail riding.

Sponsored

cosmokenney

First Name
Cosmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR (2-door)
OK, thank you. Just trying to figure it out! Hadn't heard of PPF until I found this thread. I had been trying to find something like the JK Rugged Ridge and Smittybilt panels that attach magnetically for just trail riding.
Thanks for the link to the trail scales. They aren't very attractive, but reducing the pin stripes would be a very attractive feature for me. I just have to find some 100 dollar bills lying around somewhere.

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Thanks for the link to the trail scales. They aren't very attractive, but reducing the pin stripes would be a very attractive feature for me. I just have to find some 100 dollar bills lying around somewhere.
Graphic stickers are NOT paint protection films, they scratch just like paint does, they also discolor over time. PPF is specifically paint protection when it does get damages it is self healing. Any Wrap professional will tell you printed wraps have a 5 year life whereas good PPF like 3M is 10 years plus (hence 3m's 10 year warranty) and I suspect 3M will be around in 10 years to honor their warranty.

cosmokenney

First Name
Cosmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR (2-door)
Graphic stickers are NOT paint protection films, they scratch just like paint does, they also discolor over time. PPF is specifically paint protection when it does get damages it is self healing. Any Wrap professional will tell you printed wraps have a 5 year life whereas good PPF like 3M is 10 years plus (hence 3m's 10 year warranty) and I suspect 3M will be around in 10 years to honor their warranty.
That's right. But I'd rather have the decal get scratched than the paint. I can't afford PPF, but I can scrape together the $350 for the decals. Which, by the way, are marketed as protective of the paint. And my main goal is to have less scratches on the paint when I finally sell the jeep. And these will, for the most part accomplish that goal, right? What does PPF cost? 10 times as much as those "stickers'?

MNWrangx2

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm thinking like Cosmo, but I have put in an inquiry to a local certified shop on a 3M PPF quote too. ~$1500, yeah, I can see doing PPF, but if $3k that's too much. Trail Scales' site did say it has some sort of armor effect beyond a wrap/graphic sticker.

In the Trail Scales install video they have a clear one - maybe the mountains design is otherwise clear as some of the rest don't work with my red Rubicon. I also don't want to take off any badges on the side like Trail Rated or Jeep or "Wrangler" decal - not sure if that is needed?

cosmokenney

First Name
Cosmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR (2-door)
I'm thinking like Cosmo, but I have put in an inquiry to a local certified shop on a 3M PPF quote too. ~$1500, yeah, I can see doing PPF, but if $3k that's too much. Trail Scales' site did say it has some sort of armor effect beyond a wrap/graphic sticker.

In the Trail Scales install video they have a clear one - maybe the mountains design is otherwise clear as some of the rest don't work with my red Rubicon. I also don't want to take off any badges on the side like Trail Rated or Jeep or "Wrangler" decal - not sure if that is needed?
$1500 isn't a bad price -- i've seen PPF as high as $3000, but I'm in N. California so everything is quite a bit more costly here.

Sponsored

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
That's right. But I'd rather have the decal get scratched than the paint. I can't afford PPF, but I can scrape together the $350 for the decals. Which, by the way, are marketed as protective of the paint. And my main goal is to have less scratches on the paint when I finally sell the jeep. And these will, for the most part accomplish that goal, right? What does PPF cost? 10 times as much as those "stickers'?
I paid $1600 for full body wrap with 3M Pro only section not covered was the tailgate... Another option is buy the Bestop two piece Fabric doors for about $1400 since the doors are the most vulnerable area on the side of the Wrangler.

Also note you can buy the pre cut fender portions of the 3M and install your self and save $$$

Jeep Wrangler JL Paint Protection Film/Ceramic Coat worth it? Jeep doors 1

Jeep Wrangler JL Paint Protection Film/Ceramic Coat worth it? Jeep doors 3

MNWrangx2

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yep, I was thinking fabric doors too, or put the top sections plus bottoms on the Bestop Element doors I already have (had wanted Core Doors, but they haven't rolled those out for JL). Need to be able to close up offroad for all the bugs here!

cosmokenney

First Name
Cosmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR (2-door)
@MNWrangx2 , @lightsout ,
RE The fabric doors: Same here. I've been waiting for them to go on sale.
Still want to do the trailscales for when the factory doors are on like in the winter.

And to be honest I really want body color half doors that work with the bestop half windows (from the fabric door set) That would be really awesome.

JeepJohn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL
What paint protection film do you guys recommend for the exterior door hinges? I know I’ve seen them on here in the past, but I can’t seem to find them now.

PA-Punkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR, 2012 BMW 328 Wagon, 2002 BMW 330 Cabrio
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
I had my 2 door wrapped in February, excluding top and fenders. I had quotes ranging from $2,425 to $5,500. I went with the below shop and film for $3,300.

https://sevenwraps.com/ Southampton, PA PremiumShield Elite SH film

From my research, the cost variances come from quality of film and extent of installation. The high end shops remove, fenders, top, emblems, etc and truly cover all painted surfaces and essentially hide every edge possible. The middle ground don't go that far, but only with a close look can you notice the edges.

I haven't had mine off road yet so can't speak to trail pin stripe protection. However, for everyday stuff like dirt, mud, bird droppings, etc, cleans up real easy
Sponsored