JLRubiGirl

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 dr 2018 Rubicon JL
Hello friends!

I am on the hunt for a sunshade for my 2 door JL. I purchased one from a group on Facebook, but it is ill fitting and I am not positive it is actually made for a 2 door (even though the seller insists that it is).

Soooooooooooo here I am seeking some help. It seems as if the Alien Sunshade that was made for the 2 door no longer exist on the website.

Any help would be appreciated! :)
Jeep Wrangler JL 2 door sunshade for 2018 JL 20200502_160752~2
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@JLRubiGirl

You can still get the Alien Sunshades at Amazon until supplies there run out. Careful when ordering that you order Front for JL or JLU. Color selection is slightly limited. Cost $69.99
https://www.amazon.com/SUNSHADE-Wrangler-Sunshade-4-door-Unlimited/dp/B07DFW4T7P/ref=sr_1_10?crid=2MMN3PKJGF6UV&dchild=1&keywords=alien+sunshade+jl+2+door&qid=1594405578&s=automotive&sprefix=alien+sunshade,automotive,498&sr=1-10

Note: The Alien/ front, for the 2 dr. is the same one as for the 4 dr.. And yes, I am positive about this.

Last edited:

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What did I miss? did they go out of business?
@entropy

Yes, they went out of business in Nov. 2019 . Yes, you can still buy Alien Sunshades on Amazon, until supplies there are exhausted.

Sponsored

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
@entropy

Yes, they went out of business in Nov. 2019 . Yes, you can still buy Alien Sunshades on Amazon, until supplies there are exhausted.
That's terrible news. Oh well someone else will come along I guess. They made a wonderful product.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Spiderwebshade JL kini. Love mine. Made in USA.

https://www.spiderwebshade.com/
For my 2 dr., I preferred the way the Alien Sunshade, front shade, does not go past/ over the roll bar.

With the Spiderweb Shade the shade goes up and over the roll bar which was a real deal breaker for me. Some may want/like that, but not me.

Anyway, fit of the Alien Sunshade Front for 2dr or 4dr is terrific. I have no complaints with my Alien on my 2 dr.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ok, so this is where my issue is. I do not want to take the hard top off to get the sunshade on and off. Is there such a thing?
@JLRubiGirl

Huh .........

Jen, You install the Alien Sunshade and then it stays installed. You do not take it on and off, on and off. No reason to do that.

Example.. My Alien on my 2dr has been installed for about 2 years now. It has not been off since install.

I have taken the hardtop on and off and no issue.

I can take the Freedom Panels off and on, no issue....

....and now with my Bestop Sunrider for JL, I can even open and close the Sunrider even with the Alien there..

Nice part of Alien there all the time is you have an artificial ceiling of sorts, that is not glaring white. You can also, if you desire, store jackets, caps, etc., up on top of the Alien when you have the Freedom Panels or the Sunrider closed.

No there is no retractable Sunshade for the JL. Yes, for the JK but not the JL.

Sponsored

OP
OP
JLRubiGirl

JLRubiGirl

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 dr 2018 Rubicon JL
Thank you so much for your time and insight on this!!!!

Take care & happy Jeepin.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Ok, so this is where my issue is. I do not want to take the hard top off to get the sunshade on and off. Is there such a thing?
All you have to do is take the freedom panels off and install the sunshade. Then it is there permanently, the panels fit right over it.

The install is very easy. The only challenging part is getting the attachments that go inside the windshield. Some people drop the windshield and that makes it really easy, but I did it without dropping the windshield with the provided tool and it wasn't that bad. Get one before they go away forever!

Tar Heel Wrangler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Willys Sport, JT Mojave, Sold JLU Sport S
Occupation
Cigar & IPA Snob
I have a 4 door Alien and love it. One of the clips broke so I just tied the bungee (luckily it wasn't one of the ones in the middle). I knew I should have ordered extras. I may not take it off and see how long it lasts.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have a 4 door Alien and love it. One of the clips broke so I just tied the bungee (luckily it wasn't one of the ones in the middle). I knew I should have ordered extras. I may not take it off and see how long it lasts.
@Tar Heel Wrangler

The plastic clips have been the Achilles heel so to speak in regard to the Alien Sunshade for the JL.

Last Summer a handful of guys / gals, complained that the plastic clips "straightened" in the Summer heat and no longer would work.. Alien sent out replacements to those wanting them.

A lot of guys/gals opted to forget using the clips and just put the bungee all the way around the front support. All that did this said that way was aok and was a good way to go. Yes, the windshield has to be freed and leaned forward so you can get the bungee around the support. Get a helper to hold the windshield while it is freed/leaning, while you place the bungees.

The Alien, black bungees are nothing special... just plain ole bungees. You can get the same bungee in black and different colors... in the same size or bigger or whatever on eBAY. A bag of them runs say $10.00+- for 6+ bungees. The Alien Sunshade is well made and is really resistant to fading. It will last and last but undoubtedly, bungee replacement may be necessary after a few years..

Alien Sunshade may be back in business someday... time will tell.... 8-)

pangmaster

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
Occupation
Enterprise architect
Vehicle Showcase
Others have said it but I will agree. I keep the JLkini on all the time. It’s easy enough to get the freedom panels on and off with it there, and I don’t even really notice it is there while the top is on. I really like it!
Sponsored