Sponsored

Anyone done the Buyback/lemon Law Program ?

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, ford transit 250, 2017 Wrangler Smoky Mountain Edition
Occupation
Mechanical designer /contractor and musician
W
So does anyone know what actually happens to all these buy back vehicles? Does jeep fix (or should I say band-aid) them and then just sell as used? I've noticed there's a ton of very low mile JL's on sites like Carmax, Carvana, etc. Would a carfax report show that it was lemon-law'd or bought back?
according to stericycle, they go to auction.
I guess a wholesaler or place like Carvana could buy them up and resell them and I think the Carfax would Show a repurchase or at least a unusual service record.
Sponsored

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
W

according to stericycle, they go to auction.
I guess a wholesaler or place like Carvana could buy them up and resell them and I think the Carfax would Show a repurchase or at least a unusual service record.
That would explain why they're making me take the PSC kit out.

So...heads up people, don't buy the Punk'n JLR that comes up in a couple months :CWL:.

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
did you pick a new one yet ??

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
That would explain why they're making me take the PSC kit out.

So...heads up people, don't buy the Punk'n JLR that comes up in a couple months :CWL:.
part of the reason FCA did a full buyback was that based on the CarFax reports on my vehicle ,it was in the shop so many times for the same issue and it showed all the gear box changes which dropped the trade in/resale value tremendously.

Sponsored

wcjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
YJ with stuff. JL 2dr Sport
Every state has different laws. This determines your Lemon Law experience. Our FCA product had many problems. Did not need a lawyer. Your results will vary.

crazyone77

First Name
brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
So does anyone know what actually happens to all these buy back vehicles? Does jeep fix (or should I say band-aid) them and then just sell as used? I've noticed there's a ton of very low mile JL's on sites like Carmax, Carvana, etc. Would a carfax report show that it was lemon-law'd or bought back?

My 2017 F150 was bought back after arbitration, and I asked the same question. Mine ended up about 70 miles away at a technician school where they did further investigating then became something techs can learn on. It will never be sold. They said a lot of them go to vocational schools and trade schools for kids to learn on.

My buyback took several months. My truck sat a dealer while I paid loan payment and insurance, Ended up getting my JL and having two payments which sucked!

Good luck, hopefully its a quick process for you

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
My 2017 F150 was bought back after arbitration, and I asked the same question. Mine ended up about 70 miles away at a technician school where they did further investigating then became something techs can learn on. It will never be sold. They said a lot of them go to vocational schools and trade schools for kids to learn on.

My buyback took several months. My truck sat a dealer while I paid loan payment and insurance, Ended up getting my JL and having two payments which sucked!

Good luck, hopefully its a quick process for you
As my attorney explained it to me .......
A lot has to do with the nature of the problem. A well documented case such as electrical problems or tranny/ engine problems are cases FCA knows are a no win for them so buybacks are typically not contested and happen relatively quick. A issue such as steering or wobble are not easily repeatable, vary in severity and are often considered the nature of the vehicle and many people just let it go and eventually trade the jeep in. These cases can be disputed by FCA and often become cases that can drag or be settled for a cash settlement.
If no mods were done and proper documents were done it makes it harder for them to dispute and the chances of expedited settlement is better.

FlatSixShooter

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara,997C2, 981S, 750LI, Shelby GTSC, 19VW Jetta and a lot of motorcycles

It appears they reset the odometers and sell them to the rest of us.

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
It appears they reset the odometers and sell them to the rest of us.

Interestingly enough, I am still getting the CarFax reports on my Sahara that was bought back last month so I can see where it is going.
It has been wholesaled to a dealer in Garden City, Michigan and I am watching their used car inventory website to see when, how much and the info they list when it goes online. Since Carfax has to show if a vehicle is a dealer buy back I'll be watching it.

Sponsored

AlpMan

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU, XJ, XC40
Interestingly enough, I am still getting the CarFax reports on my Sahara that was bought back last month so I can see where it is going.
It has been wholesaled to a dealer in Garden City, Michigan and I am watching their used car inventory website to see when, how much and the info they list when it goes online. Since Carfax has to show if a vehicle is a dealer buy back I'll be watching it.
Thanks, it will be very interesting to see how Carfax reports this. And even more so, I would be interested in seeing if the selling dealers online free Carfax report for the car shows the same thing... I tend to be a bit weary of that. Keep us updated!

diesel_jeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4bt Cj
So the FCA engineers do not have a fix for my Jeep and are proactively buying it back. I am not sure if I want to go this route. Will they offer some compensation in lieu of a lemon buy back, while they work on a fix? Extended warranty? something like this?

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
ask an attorney. you gamble on the lemon law and arbitration. they can offer a cash settlement, a full buy back or tell you to pound salt. if they offer a buy back you pretty much better jump at it since if you reply asking for money instead you just tipped your hand that you really want to keep it.
an attorney may be able to file a suit for revenue due to lost use and reduced resale.

alexm2341

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
So the FCA engineers do not have a fix for my Jeep and are proactively buying it back. I am not sure if I want to go this route. Will they offer some compensation in lieu of a lemon buy back, while they work on a fix? Extended warranty? something like this?
What was initially wrong with your Jeep?

Rdmitch

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
i still get jeep reports on my old one that was bought back 4 months ago. it’s now at the 3rd dealership. Has not popped up on their used car inventory.
Sponsored