Sponsored

2021 order!! 3.6 Pentastar V6 w/ eTorque <OR> 3.0 EcoDiesel??

rubileon

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR RHD 3.6
Before anyone goes here we go again, let me say that we haven't been limited to V6 with the eTorque before...so this is a question I'm having a difficult time resolving myself and nobody seems to have asked opinions on.

So...I'm getting auto. Already have a manual GT350 << avatar. So I want to just chill in my Jeep. But that means no regular 3.6 without eTorque option for me.

Anyway, I plan to do a bit of off-roading, but like a lot of people, most will be on road. A lot of highway with a bit of city. I don't want the diesel for fuel savings, but love the torque it delivers. And the sound is kinda nice as well. Some like it, some don't.

I originally didn't want the EcoDiesel due to some of the issues reported in this forum and elsewhere on the internet.

Now come along 2021 offerings.

- V6 Pentastar ONLY OFFERED with eTorque ...so no way to get it naked without the 48v system.
- Diesel is more torque, has some maintenance expenses, but doesn't have this extra 48v system I didn't really want

So question is, V6 with this eTorque 48v and lithium batteries and electrical complications or EcoDiesel with the "known" extra expenses and better all round performance? What are your thoughts?

Also, I thought to myself...hell, I could just slap a supercharger on the Pentastar for that much extra money. However, I cannot for the life of me find a supercharger option which the Pentastar V6 eTorque combo...so it doesn't seem this would be an option anyway....

Rob
Even if you're going to buy a JL as a future collectors item, buy a lightly used 3.6 w/o eBullshit. I'd keep away from the diesel personally. Just look up issues.
Sponsored

CaseOfAle

First Name
ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 981S, 19JLUS
I don’t see how that’s relevant. I’m not speaking of new technology vs no technology, but 2 engines which could potentially cost more money than the road vs a regular 3.6. Plus, a regular v6 has plenty of tech already, allll new engines do so that’s just not a valid consideration.

It’s really the point of eTorque being a forced option with the auto and the price points of the diesel being closer to the v6 because of the eTorque.

So I’m paying for an “option” that I could do without, but I wanted the v6 To begin with or buy a diesel and pay more for maintenance but get the benefits of the diesel.

fyi, I work with computers every day of my life developing web applications so tech is kinda my thing.
My comment was intended to come across as tongue-in-cheek, not serious. Topics debating two selectable options on the JL seems to correlate to the axiom in the link. Whether it's the V6 vs. I4, Sunrider Vs. One Touch, Rubicon Vs. Sport. Etc. I was joking that you are opening a can of worms here. :LOL:

OP
OP
Jeeperob

Jeeperob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R || 2021 Hellayella Rubicon JLU
My comment was intended to come across as tongue-in-cheek, not serious. Topics debating two selectable options on the JL seems to correlate to the axiom in the link. Whether it's the V6 vs. I4, Sunrider Vs. One Touch, Rubicon Vs. Sport. Etc. I was joking that you are opening a can of worms here. :LOL:
lol, okay then. Not to worry, I hate duplicate topics as much as anyone. And yes I noticed the axiom you linked to...totally agree. I'm just hoping to get some solid opinions from others to help steer me one way or the other.

I'm just kinda irritated I had my reg V6 all picked out until they dropped the eTorque on me and now I'm second guessing my choice and if I switch to diesel than I have to drop the full time 4WD...granted you can switch to 4 high, but isn't full time 4WD more advanced than just switching to 4WD high? I would think full time would be transferring power where it's needed and in snow/ice/pavement I don't "think" there's anything better. << opinion, not fact lol

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

i rather the diesel than that 48volt e torque crap. hell ill take the mini 2.0 over the e-torque. They cant figure out the 12 volt aux battery problems how the heck do you except them to fix a 48 volt system that is charged by the alt and the breaking system from what i read here on the forum. not sure about the brake system charging but if thats true.... no thanks. see more problems with the e-torque in the future than i do with the eco diesel thats been sold to every country but the us tell now. diesel motors last. petrol engines will fail well before a diesel known fact. yes a little more to maintain as oil cap is typically higher on a diesel and having work done to it is a bit more costly but for me the torque at low end and better fuel Econ. plus the quite new diesel engines are just beautiful. ONLY reason i do not have or have not traded my wrangler 3.6l in for the 3.0 is that the 3.0 doesnt have a manual trans option. IF it was offered i'd be there tomorrow to place an order. For now though ill just keep my 3.6L ess with my 6 speed and when the 3.6 dies ill build the 6speed trans to handle the 3.0 upgrade

CaseOfAle

First Name
ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 981S, 19JLUS
I'm glad I don't have to choose. When I ordered, There was no way I was making this level investment in that 48V system. I also wanted the full-time 4WD. Glad I don't have to face this decision. I'd probably opt for the Diesel because I dislike the 48V more than I love the Selec-Trac

Sponsored

Icewater

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Accord
I am actually in the same exact position. But I think I’m now siding with just scrapping the 2021 order and finding a current 2020 on the lot with the regular v6. Especially more so now since the dealers will be more inclined to cut deals to move the inventory for the new 2021s that will come in.

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
i rather the diesel than that 48volt e torque crap. hell ill take the mini 2.0 over the e-torque. They cant figure out the 12 volt aux battery problems how the heck do you except them to fix a 48 volt system that is charged by the alt and the breaking system from what i read here on the forum. not sure about the brake system charging but if thats true.... no thanks. see more problems with the e-torque in the future than i do with the eco diesel thats been sold to every country but the us tell now. diesel motors last. petrol engines will fail well before a diesel known fact. yes a little more to maintain as oil cap is typically higher on a diesel and having work done to it is a bit more costly but for me the torque at low end and better fuel Econ. plus the quite new diesel engines are just beautiful. ONLY reason i do not have or have not traded my wrangler 3.6l in for the 3.0 is that the 3.0 doesnt have a manual trans option. IF it was offered i'd be there tomorrow to place an order. For now though ill just keep my 3.6L ess with my 6 speed and when the 3.6 dies ill build the 6speed trans to handle the 3.0 upgrade
Just an FYI - etorque battery and components covered by 8 year warranty. I have the etorque 2.0 in my Recon and like it. Like it or not, hybrid and electrification are coming....and if a blue wave get elected...nothing but electric by 2030.

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

Just an FYI - etorque battery and components covered by 8 year warranty. I have the etorque 2.0 in my Recon and like it. Like it or not, hybrid and electrification are coming....and if a blue wave get elected...nothing but electric by 2030.
i live in a blue wave crappy state. nothing out of the new except the fact that the batteries they are using in electric cares are doing more harm than good ol petrol. if they'd stop cutting down greenery and start planting more the C.O. emissions would be filtered at a higher rate. than battery acids and gels that get sunk in the earth which is poisoning our ground supplies but no one wants to bring that part up because it isnt making the blue dream team any money. Lol.

ChimpanZed

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon
So...I'm getting auto. Already have a manual GT350.
Jeep Wrangler JL 2021 order!!  3.6 Pentastar V6 w/ eTorque <OR> 3.0 EcoDiesel?? 45974A9E-CAB6-4ED4-AF58-35A0176D47FF

That’s me at COTA in my GT350R. The Jeep+Shelby combo makes me happy.

Sponsored

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I was under the impression that eTorque was optional with the automatic, but not mandated with the automatic. Are you sure that you cannot still get the automatic with the non-eTorque V6?

I just finished reading a thread 5 minutes ago on the Ram forum about all the problems guys are having with the eTorque system. It's exactly what you'd expect: failures of the 48V battery system, failures of the MGU under the hood, etc. And those parts are on national backorder which makes the truck inoperable. Not to mention, a repair like that would likely run $2,000 out of warranty.

For me, I'd go with the non-eTorque V6. Simple is good.

Also, we need to find out how that new full time transfer case works. Does it use clutches to drive the front driveshaft in 4-low, 4-high, and 4-auto like on the Rams?? If so, a lot of guys who see heavy snow or mud use will prefer the standard transfer case since it's a chain drive system. Chain drive doesn't overheat and go into limp mode.

OP
OP
Jeeperob

Jeeperob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL 2021 order!!  3.6 Pentastar V6 w/ eTorque <OR> 3.0 EcoDiesel?? 45974A9E-CAB6-4ED4-AF58-35A0176D47FF

That’s me at COTA in my GT350R. The Jeep+Shelby combo makes me happy.
Very nice. I've driven the GT350 on the track in Salt Lake for the racing school. So amazing what the car can do. I feel I'm letting the car down by driving it on the road but it's still so much fun. lol

R

somedude922

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, Previous: 1984 CJ7, 1979 CJ7
I was under the impression that eTorque was optional with the automatic, but not mandated with the automatic. Are you sure that you cannot still get the automatic with the non-eTorque V6?

I just finished reading a thread 5 minutes ago on the Ram forum about all the problems guys are having with the eTorque system. It's exactly what you'd expect: failures of the 48V battery system, failures of the MGU under the hood, etc. And those parts are on national backorder which makes the truck inoperable. Not to mention, a repair like that would likely run $2,000 out of warranty.

Also, we need to find out how that new full time transfer case works. Does it use clutches to drive the front driveshaft in 4-low, 4-high, and 4-auto like on the Rams?? If so, a lot of guys who see heavy snow or mud use will prefer the standard transfer case since it's a chain drive system. Chain drive doesn't overheat and go into limp mode.
2021 V6 automatic is etorque only. Do you have a link to the thread you are talking about?

OP
OP
Jeeperob

Jeeperob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

I thought I read somewhere that 4hi auto full time uses a different transfer case than 4 lo and 4 hi part time...but not 100% sure of this. Ie. for 4 lo / 4 hi part-time it uses the traditional chain and then when you switch over to 4 hi auto it uses I guess clutches like you mentioned.

R
Sponsored