Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Over and over, it is mentioned that the short arm ifs bronco will be a direct competitor to the wrangler in every situation shy of rock crawling. Using the specific term "rock crawling", is nothing but a way to conveniently compartmentalize a weakness.

In reality, rock crawling is just an example of the many situations encountered in all types of terrain, where limited flexibility causes wheel lift. Lockers help in relatively level wheel lift situations, but throwing in some pitch and/or roll is where things get eye widening for the less flexible.
Sponsored

Nickp01

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Local Bronco shill
Over and over, it is mentioned that the short arm ifs bronco will be a direct competitor to the wrangler in every situation shy of rock crawling. Using the specific term "rock crawling", is nothing but a way to conveniently compartmentalize a weakness.

In reality, rock crawling is just an example of the many situations encountered in all types of terrain, where limited flexibility causes wheel lift. Lockers help in relatively level wheel lift situations, but throwing in some pitch and/or roll is where things get eye widening for the less flexible.
If Bronco forgoes “crawling” in favor of “blasting over” rocks I could see that appealing to a lot of people

rockadile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
I don’t think IFS is a weakness at all. Ford could have went with a SFA but chose not to. Why do you think that was? Maybe better on road handling? Where I spend 99% of the time driving my Jeep. Don’t get me wrong, the Wrangler is not bad on road, but it could be much better. I think Ford went with IFS specifically for that reason.

Nickp01

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Local Bronco shill
I don’t think IFS is a weakness at all. Ford could have went with a SFA but chose not to. Why do you think that was? Maybe better on road handling? Where I spend 99% of the time driving my Jeep. Don’t get me wrong, the Wrangler is not bad on road, but it could be much better. I think Ford went with IFS specifically for that reason.
And who knows what they’ve cooked up under that 37” tire prototype. The prototypes we’ve seen so far do not have suspensions that look capable of handling 37’s so there must be something pretty nuts under there.

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
In my opinion, the Bronco is ugly and has no style.
I definitely don't think it's ugly. I do think the wrangler looks a bit cooler, but I also really like the bronco's look. They're really not that far apart, to be honest. I didn't know that Ford was one of the main builders of the Willys for the military, and Ford was the company that came up with the seven-slotted grille. You can definitely see those cues in the bronco.
I'll admit it! I do very little off roading, even when its mild stuff, things the Bronco will handle with ease. I'm on my 2nd wrangler (first was a 2009 JK 2dr 6sp, now a 2018 Sahara 6sp). I love the wrangler for what it represents and its American history.
My hat is off to you, sir. I'm pretty much in the same boat. I do oversand with my jeep but that's been mainly it. I do have intentions of doing some actual rocks once I get it paid off before next year, though. I just want to find some cool trails within a few hundred miles of where I live, preferably in the mountains with some awesome views.

In reality, rock crawling is just an example of the many situations encountered in all types of terrain, where limited flexibility causes wheel lift.
Again, none of us have seen the actual reveal (if you have, fill us in) and are just assuming a bunch of stuff. If they give their presentation and showcase a trim that does have the solid axles, then everything we're saying just flew out the window. But let's assume they don't, and you are totally right. It's not fair to keep using "rock crawling" to cover so many situations. I guess I'm just saying the average jeep/bronco driver doesn't encounter those situations.

Sponsored

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Well we’ll find out in a week who’s right because this is just he said she said. I get where y’all are coming from, but at this point I think it’s pretty obvious that Ford wrote a blank check for this thing. And honestly, it makes me wish that Jeep had gone a bit outside the box for the JL. The JL is great, don’t get me wrong, but following the formula to a T and not innovating a bit more may have been a mistake. If nothing else Ford is thinking way outside the box with this.
Um, I have a VERY different view of the JL. It is incredibly civilized, with an interior that's borderline luxurious. Yet pop it in 4lo and engage lockers and it's near unstoppable off-road. Jeep deserves a standing ovation for what they pulled off with a small vehicle with two solid axles. Yes it's expensive, but it's not like it shares development cost or a platform with anything else.

I intend to park a Bronco in my driveway next to my JL. But no matter what the Bronco achieves, you can't take anything away from what the JL pulled off

Nickp01

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Local Bronco shill
Um, I have a VERY different view of the JL. It is incredibly civilized, with an interior that's borderline luxurious. Yet pop it in 4lo and engage lockers and it's near unstoppable off-road. Jeep deserves a standing ovation for what they pulled off with a small vehicle with two solid axles. Yes it's expensive, but it's not like it shares development cost or a platform with anything else.

I intend to park a Bronco in my driveway next to my JL. But no matter what the Bronco achieves, you can't take anything away from what the JL pulled off
As I said JL is very nice. But there is so much more they could have done. Modular roof panels like Bronco, 35” or 37” tires stock, alternate gearing options, better engines, frameless doors like Bronco. Jeep played it pretty safe, which I think may be something they had to do. But my guess is they are going to have a pretty heavy refresh in 2022 to address some of this.

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
As I said JL is very nice. But there is so much more they could have done. Modular roof panels like Bronco, 35” or 37” tires stock, alternate gearing options, better engines, frameless doors like Bronco. Jeep played it pretty safe, which I think may be something they had to do. But my guess is they are going to have a pretty heavy refresh in 2022 to address some of this.
The one place I'll agree to being let down is the lack of factory half doors

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
If Bronco forgoes “crawling” in favor of “blasting over” rocks I could see that appealing to a lot of people
It most certainly will. I'm setting my JL up to not only crawl obstacles, but to run with some speed down wash boarded trails.

Well, it's one weakness is any kind of scenario that causes wheel lift during an incline/decline or sideways lean. Something a wrangler would just walk through.

In all other driving conditions, ifs is great. I was just focusing on the repeated comments about how the bronco will dethrone the wrangler in all but the far removed and compartmentalized rock crawling situations that very few people even care about. I just wanted to spotlight the fact that it doesn't require a rock to exploit the natural limits of a short arm ifs equipped vehicle.

I am not biased, just happen to own a Jeep. I, like many other Jeep owners here, would love to see some real competition to make FCA have to fight for our money.

In my opinion, Ford chose the smart play. Rather than fight for the very top, they aimed for the lower hanging fruit.

Jeep has its own long and hard fought for image and reputed capability to uphold. Year after year of hearing complaints about the wrangler not handling and steering like "a normal car", and still Jeep does not placate. No massive stray from their chosen front end, or even the inclusion of a watered down "image" edition that would further jack prices up across the entire model lineup.

Ford is now stepping up, with the new Bronco, to target those who want rugged looks and as much capabilites as possible without losing the gentle steering and handling.

To sum up my thoughts. The new Bronco won't be quite as much of competition to the Wrangler itself, as it will be for its potential customers.

Crusifix

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon 2.0T Hurricane
I have put about $4K into my 4runner's suspension and that was after spending the extra cash to get the TRD Pro...Yeah, I wasted some cash. In any case. I have already taken my stock Rubicon up trails in stock form that my 4runner has continually failed at miserably. Also, I ran no front sway. With the suspension setup it wasn't needed and just added too much spring rate to the front end. Primarily I just wanted the paint color, and it was only available in the TRDP.
Jeep Wrangler JL Looks Like Ford Bronco is Serious About Taking on the Wrangler 20190118_143031

Last edited:

Sponsored

Nickp01

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Local Bronco shill
Jeep Wrangler JL Looks Like Ford Bronco is Serious About Taking on the Wrangler C74B7F8A-9503-46B6-9109-66EFBB7E9CC6

teaser from today. That is a nice looking bumper IMO. Great departure angle and that exhaust is up HIGH

Whisky19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru, JEEP!!!!!!!
It will take some time for Bronco to catch up ( if ever ) to the youthful appeal of the Jeep brand. It has a cult following that has deep seated roots and that just does not get undone overnight. I have no doubt that Jeep will answer Ford’s call to ensure they remain king of the hill.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
The Bronco is the best thing to happen in a long time. We will directly benefit from this competition, the Mojave edition, the 2.0T with a manual transmission, upgrading the Sport S with standard features, formerly " options", proves FCA is feeling the heat. The " Service after the Sale", warranties, factory installed options, will expand and improve. Just as important, DEALER ABILITY TO DIAGNOSE AND REPAIR quickly and properly the FIRST TIME. That's a very important area of "competition". Bring it !

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
I've had many a Jeep over my lifetime...
My JL, is paid for... had it over 2 years now.

I plan to blow it off fairly soon and park a 2 door Bronco in my garage.. Unless the Bronco is not the vehicle that I think it will be.

My last Ford was a new 2003 Ford Lightning (SVT) Ford can do things right.. Time will tell in regard to the new Bronco.

Jeep Wrangler JL Looks Like Ford Bronco is Serious About Taking on the Wrangler ltn

Jeep Wrangler JL Looks Like Ford Bronco is Serious About Taking on the Wrangler interior

Jeep Wrangler JL Looks Like Ford Bronco is Serious About Taking on the Wrangler IMG_0355.JPG
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.