Sponsored

Traction Control System (TCS) in Sand

bburn2019

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited / 2008 Wrangler Unlimited
Just got back from OBX and took the Jeep out on the beach. I drove about 6 miles up the beach north toward VA and everything went smooth, then turned around and on the way back the sand was looser in the area where the southbound traffic was driving. No worries as I had already done this a few times in my 2008 JKU with no problems in previous years. This year, I was in my 2019 JLU and the TCS light came on multiple times and I felt as if I was loosing power, so I turned it off below the radio. I still felt as if I was loosing power at times in the softest part of the sand. I was in 4HI the whole time. So this is my question...I never had this issue on my 2008. It does have the TCS, but I only get the dash light if I fishtail maybe on a wet road in 2HI. I never get it in 4HI. Is the system a little different on the 2019 models? Any help with this would be appreciated. I am going to Florida in a few weeks and will take it on the beach again, but want to get a better understanding of how the 4WD drive system is operating. I was never in danger of being stuck, but the loss of power I felt makes me want to understand what is going on a little better as the "feel" of the drive was quite different then my 2008 in the same conditions.
Sponsored

UNC Rubicon

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Billet Silver JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I spent last week at a house in Carova about 3 miles up the beach. I pulled an Aluma AE46 trailer on my way in and out. I stayed in 4hi the entire time and never had an issue pulling the trailer or while riding on the beach. We rode all the way to the VA line and back down.

I turned TC off when I was pulling the trailer but left it on the rest of the time. As you said, southbound traffic patterns put us in deep soft sand. I don’t remember TC activating a single time in the 60+ miles I drove on the beach during the week.

Uhdinator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport HT 2.0T Auto, 2003 TJ Rubicon HT
Vehicle Showcase
TC will activate if it senses one axle spinning faster than the other and compares forward speed to axle speed. It will apply braking and cut engine power to stop the spinning. With TC off the system does not care if one axle is spinning faster than the other and will not cut engine power. The Brake Lock Diff feature works in all modes. TC is best used only when driving on snow/ice packed highways where having a wheel spin could cause you to spin out into a ditch. I would turn TC off in sand or deep snow which is when you want to keep your tires churning to maintain momentum. BLD compares wheel speed of each wheel on the same axle. BLD works well. When crawling on rocks though you have to be careful. If you get where you are not moving, you have to keep a little throttle applied and wait a few seconds and it will stop the spring tire at which point the other grabs and if too much throttle is applied it can launch you if you get impatient and slam the skinny pedal.

SmoothJeepOperator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Wrangler Sport
Did you air down? I'm planning to go beach driving in the obx too in late August. Never done anything like it before so last thing I want to do is be the guy that gets stuck. Air down maybe to 20 psi? 4hi, tc off.

UNC Rubicon

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Billet Silver JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Did you air down? I'm planning to go beach driving in the obx too in late August. Never done anything like it before so last thing I want to do is be the guy that gets stuck. Air down maybe to 20 psi? 4hi, tc off.
Do that and you’ll be fine. I was at 18psi in 4hi and I had ZERO issues - even pulling a trailer.

Sponsored

Larrymuld

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I was also in Corolla last week and drove about 4.5 mile north up the beach. I left TCS on once and quickly turned it off. I was at 20psi in 4hi and with TCS off I had no problems.

OP
OP
bburn2019

bburn2019

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You should be good to go from what everyone is saying with the TCS off. Yes, I was about 20PSI. Also remember to check the tide charts and go at low tide if you can, there is just more beach to stop and take pics, or chill for a while. Have a great time!

OP
OP
bburn2019

bburn2019

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You should be good to go from what everyone is saying with the TCS off. Yes, I was about 20PSI. Also remember to check the tide charts and go at low tide if you can, there is just more beach to stop and take pics, or chill for a while. Have a great time!
Also, there is free air by the Lighthouse or you can pay for it at the Citgo.

BillJeep

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019, JLU Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
I have a newbie question - first time driving in sand today. Was in 4Lo and had TCS on and jeep would keep shifting to neutral when I started going up dunes. I turned TCS off and had no issues. Is that normal
Sponsored