Sponsored

What is the worst dealer behavior that you've observed?

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
First you have to understand that I'm OCD about my vehicles. That includes no eating in the Jeep. Many owners do it; I don't. So my brand new Jeep GC was in for service of some kind. With less than 1,000 miles it still smelled/felt showroom fresh. When I got the GC home I noticed two white footprints in the back seat floor mats. My eyes then shifted to the half-eaten bean burrito sitting on the rear seat and leaking through the perforated leather. An employee had used my Jeep for his/her lunch break. BTW, the dealer was in Denver Metro and is now out of business.
Sponsored

somedude922

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, Previous: 1984 CJ7, 1979 CJ7
First you have to understand that I'm OCD about my vehicles. That includes no eating in the Jeep. Many owners do it; I don't. So my brand new Jeep GC was in for service of some kind. With less than 1,000 miles it still smelled/felt showroom fresh. When I got the GC home I noticed two white footprints in the back seat floor mats. My eyes then shifted to the half-eaten bean burrito sitting on the rear seat and leaking through the perforated leather. An employee had used my Jeep for his/her lunch break. BTW, the dealer was in Denver Metro and is now out of business.

Im not OCD like that, but, same scenario. My wife's Toyota went in for routine service. We picked it up and in the back seat was the damn Wendy's bag and 2 drink cups and napkins on the floor. We are still using the oil change, tire rotation, air filters, and detailing FOR LIFE. She only puts about 10k miles a year on it. They are going to be reminded of that day for a long time!

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Im not OCD like that, but, same scenario. My wife's Toyota went in for routine service. We picked it up and in the back seat was the damn Wendy's bag and 2 drink cups and napkins on the floor. We are still using the oil change, tire rotation, air filters, and detailing FOR LIFE. She only puts about 10k miles a year on it. They are going to be reminded of that day for a long time!
Your dealer does detailing?
For life?

Which dealer might I ask, because he can eat that Wendy’s on my back seat too!

Last edited:

Sponsored

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
A VERY large employee from the service department jumped in the drivers seat of my TJ, the front sagged when he was in it and he broke the side seat trim getting in and out because he was so heavy. Dealership paid to fix it.
I hate it when people wear my vehicles.

cOtter

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Sahara 2.0L Ocean Blue Metallic, Toyota Highlander & Pontiac G6 coupe
Occupation
Senior Manager PM (Automotive OEM)
So it just would not be right if I started the other tread... “What is the best dealer behavior that you’ve observed?”.....

and did not reply to this one.... I don’t really have a dealer story but I do have a mod shop or two to share.

As I was preparing to purchase my ‘20 Sahara, I had conversations with the dealer and 2 mode shops. I told them exactly what I was looking to do. They asked a few questions, took my contact info and said they would work up some prices and get back to them. Told them I had about a $4,500 to $6,500 budget beyond the purchase of the new Sahara. Two weeks later I heard nothing back from either shop. I reached out to both of them again and spoke directly to the persons I spoke to the previous time. Both of them were owners of their individual shop. Again they did not get back to me.

Close of the story, most of the work got done but not a dime of the money went through their shops. They could not pay me to do business with them.

somedude922

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, Previous: 1984 CJ7, 1979 CJ7
Your dealer does detailing?
For life?
I mean... I wouldn't call it a professional detailing, but its good enough. Yes, as long as we own the vehicle. I dont think they anticipated how long we would own it. Lol. I expect it to eventually “run out”. But whatever.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I have posted this a few times already. My single worst interaction with a Jeep dealer was in March 2019 when I brought my 2018 JKUR Recon in for a squeaky driver seat and loud rattle on the A-pillar. This was the 3rd attempt to get the dealer to take in my Jeep.

My JK had 8,000 miles, a Mopar 2” lift, 35” tires, and a Warn Zeon 10 winch mounted on the factory steel bumpers. But apparently this was too much for them. I pull into the service area; the Service Manager, a technician and the Service Advisor come out and walk around the Jeep, claiming that the lift was not up to spec, the bumpers were aftermarket, etc. We went back-and-forth for several minutes, with me explaining that it was a MOPAR lift, the bumpers were stock, etc. The manager then switches the interrogation onto me: did I buy the Jeep here? Was I born and raised here? How long have I lived in town...?

At this point I find the whole situation both insulting and infuriating. Besides, the entire interrogation has nothing to do with a squeaky driver seat. I ask for my keys back and to open the gate. The manager comes to my window and trying to walk everything back shines me a stupid smile and a “hey, buddy...”.

I drove off, across the street, and dumped that Jeep in trade for a brand new Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road. I left them a few scathing online reviews, and to this day I tell everyone I know to avoid that dealer.

PS - 14 months later, after having shopped for a new JL without even setting foot there, buying a $50,000 Sahara and about $5,000 in accessories elsewhere, I stopped there for my first —free— oil change yesterday. They did their job without any drama. I take it one day at a time.

The culprit
Jeep Wrangler JL What is the worst dealer behavior that you've observed? 1593884579995

Jeep Wrangler JL What is the worst dealer behavior that you've observed? 1593884686822

The original sticker was $52,000. In hindsight, I should have never wasted my money on that Jeep. Compared to my JL, it had the ride, handling, assembly quality and fit-and-finish of a Soviet-era tractor. With the dealer service to match.

Last edited:

Sponsored

aro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Hey Aldo,

I saw on tacomaworld.com that you got a Jeep. I'm also back in the Jeep family after my detour in the Tacoma world.

My worst dealer experience to date: when buying my current Jeep, they added thousands of dollars in undisclosed add-ons. I canceled them after the purchase.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Hey Aldo,

I saw on tacomaworld.com that you got a Jeep. I'm also back in the Jeep family after my detour in the Tacoma world.

My worst dealer experience to date: when buying my current Jeep, they added thousands of dollars in undisclosed add-ons. I canceled them after the purchase.
Welcome back, Nick! Yeah, Jeep dealers are the worst.

I lasted six months with that Tacoma. The automatic transmission and driver seat were just terrible. But the Toyota dealer experience was 100 times better than FCA’s!

Fortunately, when I sold the truck I got my money back minus tax and license. Those trucks hold their value amazingly well. Can’t really complain.

aro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Welcome back, Nick! Yeah, Jeep dealers are the worst.

I lasted six months with that Tacoma. The automatic transmission and driver seat were just terrible. But the Toyota dealer experience was 100 times better than FCA’s!

Fortunately, when I sold the truck I got my money back minus tax and license. Those trucks hold their value amazingly well. Can’t really complain.
So true, the Toyota dealer experience was so much better than FCA. Toyota should just buy Jeep. LOL

My Tacoma, after regearing to 4.88 and installing the OV Tune was running like a champ. Very smooth. However, after one year of daily driving it, I still hated everything about the driver seat position, steering wheel position and rear view mirror (yeah, that's a problem too for taller people).

My favorite vehicle has been the Wrangler for decades, so when I realized how smooth JL's drive compared to JK's, it was over for the truck.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
So true, the Toyota dealer experience was so much better than FCA. Toyota should just buy Jeep. LOL

My Tacoma, after regearing to 4.88 and installing the OV Tune was running like a champ. Very smooth. However, after one year of daily driving it, I still hated everything about the driver seat position, steering wheel position and rear view mirror (yeah, that's a problem too for taller people).

My favorite vehicle has been the Wrangler for decades, so when I realized how smooth JL's drive compared to JK's, it was over for the truck.
No regrets here, either.

That Tacoma was put together like a tank. Other than that, there isn’t much I miss about it. I really like my JL.

Just wish we could put Jeep dealers through shock therapy...

Wombology

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Soon to be owner
A honda dealer near me refused to honor a battery warranty. The battery that died had a 100 month warranty and I had it for 48 months so I should have gotten 50% credit toward a new battery.

They looked it up in their book, with me standing there, and said "the new battery should be 50% off because of the warranty but your replacement will be full price." I confirmed a few times that they won't honor the 50% off and they said they will not.

Waited an hour and a half to buy a Costco battery (ended up being the same price as the 50% off dealer battery). Then gave the dealer a 1 star review. They called back asking for another chance and I told them that won't be happening. They then asked me to edit out their names on the review and I told them to pound sand.
Sponsored