Mikeyut3

Mikeyut3

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
@Mikeyut3 Think long and hard and do your homework before ripping into that rear view mirror assembly on your 2020 . Consider whether you want that dash cam powered -ON all the time or only on when the JL is running. Regardless, there are multiple ways of getting power to the dashcam. Think! Also, research how to go about getting at the 2020 rear mirror inners... Sure guys here will urge you to just have at it but they aren't going to pay for what you screw up. In closing, do your homework before you..........
Additional, this is PRECISELY my point about people saying the equivalent of "just rip it open" and "see whatcha got." That is ridiculous... you said it VERY well!! ("they aren't going to pay for what you screw up" - i.e. its easy for someone else to tell you to smash it with a hammer!)

Jeep Wrangler JL Can i splice here for dashcam? 1593383782758
Sponsored

Last edited:

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
@Mikeyut3 Think long and hard and do your homework before ripping into that rear view mirror assembly on your 2020 . Consider whether you want that dash cam powered -ON all the time or only on when the JL is running. Regardless, there are multiple ways of getting power to the dashcam. Think! Also, research how to go about getting at the 2020 rear mirror inners... Sure guys here will urge you to just have at it but they aren't going to pay for what you screw up. In closing, do your homework before you..........
Question - if you didn’t care rather came on with key or not could you tuck a cable under windshield trim and splice at one of the visor lighted vanity mirrors, left or right?

OP
OP
Mikeyut3

Mikeyut3

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Question - if you didn’t care rather came on with key or not could you tuck a cable under windshield trim and splice at one of the visor lighted vanity mirrors, left or right?
Hmmm....interesting thought. I do have power mirrors also - maybe I can get into the harness that connects those to the door? I'm going to do some research on this too!

Smart....maybe! ;)

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
Hmmm....interesting thought. I do have power mirrors also - maybe I can get into the harness that connects those to the door? I'm going to do some research on this too!

Smart....maybe! ;)
I just did a quick mod to add Homelink to my Sport S. I park in garage so really didn’t care if you could use Homelink with out turning on Jeep and I splice at the vanity mirror wire at top of door. Easy mod. Of course I used the crappy splice crimps I referenced above :) easy change if they fail.

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
GtX - dont be sad face!

My point is that it becomes VERY frustrating when I read post and then someone dive-bombs in and says something obviously unhelpful, without response or intentionally deviates the conversation. Imagine (pre covid!) standing on the street corner and having a productive conversation with someone and another person just walks by and starts yelling unrelated words - its the functional equivalent, but digitally. Now, of course, there are natural tangents threads go on - but it is never helpful to just say the equivalent of "I dunno just wing it" or "who knows...just start taking stuff apart" - unless, of course, it is an obvious joke...

I find this forum SO incredibly helpful and I will do what I can to add value - which includes trying to maintain the sanctity of it!
If there was an eye roll reaction I would have used it.

In the time you spent in this tread you could have popped some trim and had the answer.

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@hoag4147, @Mikeyut3

I suggest a lets say tamer install, that risks less chance of interfering with anything, damaging things lets say.... also a way that is easy easy for most anyone... a Novice ....and a way that will enable you to have the camera getting power all the time or ignition switched, your choice. A way that will not step on anything lets say... geeez you can even easily incorporate a rear view cam if you want. Anyway, before I would pull apart that 2020 rear view assembly, I'd go a less invasive, easier way..

Basically, you mount the dash camera on the windshield where you want and then just run the power cable under the plastic trim piece (you push under easily and it will stay in place... not necessary to pull plastic ) at the top of the windshield .... you run the wire across and down the passenger side A pillar. It's an easy run down... you will have to slightly loosen the grab handle to get it behind there. Anyway, pretty obvious but you run it down easily behind the plastics. You won't see any wires.. Once down, decide where you need to connect that power wire.... There are a couple of very easy ways, even for a Novice. You can get a adapter cable for the cigarette lighter ($19) and connect there very very easily. You can also easily run a wire back to the 12 volt port in the back of your JL. That port with a simple change of fuse position in the PDC ,will give you power on all the time or ignition switched. Those are two places to grab the 12v power and sure there are other places..

In closing.... that rear view mirror assembly has a lot that you can lets say screw up if you go digging into it. Why bother then. Go with an approach that is easy easy, no risk, Novice friendly, a way that you know will give you either always on power or switched power (your choice) and a way that is easy to undo if/when you want in the future...

OP
OP
Mikeyut3

Mikeyut3

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
If there was an eye roll reaction I would have used it.

In the time you spent in this tread you could have popped some trim and had the answer.
Half true! The whole electricity part is a minor detail. ;)

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@hoag4147 For a dash cam, I'd want a power source that would give me a choice of ignition switched or always powered on. I'd want to connect to something that I knew was capable of handling the load. Would want something to connect to, that Can Bus would not have a pissy fit about. With that said, no, I would not use the 12v rear mirror, 12v visor light, or the 12v for the Homelink even though each would be accessible. I'd just go with a 12v power source that I know is robust, one that I can hook to that will not upset Can Bus, the dealership, etc., etc... So, I would probably go the adapter route ($29) with the cigarette lighter if I wanted ignition switched or if I wanted a choice of ignition switched or always on, I'd use the 12v port in the back.... Actually, since I have the Aux package, I would use one of the 12 volt power wires it provides..

For those that say a lot of talk about simple wiring and to just have at it... WELL, not everyone is comfortable with having at it lets say. There are a lot of young guys and gals here that are Novices and just getting into the swing of things so to speak.. To be honest, I'm 71 yo and have wired many many an accessory to Jeeps and such, but even I tip toe these days with wiring as Can Bus can really make your life miserable. Best bet these days is to be as minimally invasive as possible to to ask questions and be overly concerned just like the OP has been here...

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
Really, you have sidetracked your own post now. No one has done this exactly the same before, so you aren't going to get a easy answer. You've been guided on how to find your answers on your own though. You keep replying to the same posts, or even your own previous posts adding nothing of value while complaining about how someone made a comment that added nothing of value.....

OP
OP
Mikeyut3

Mikeyut3

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
@hoag4147 For a dash cam, I'd want a power source that would give me a choice of ignition switched or always powered on. I'd want to connect to something that I knew was capable of handling the load. Would want something to connect to, that Can Bus would not have a pissy fit about. With that said, no, I would not use the 12v rear mirror, 12v visor light, or the 12v for the Homelink even though each would be accessible. I'd just go with a 12v power source that I know is robust, one that I can hook to that will not upset Can Bus, the dealership, etc., etc... So, I would probably go the adapter route ($29) with the cigarette lighter if I wanted ignition switched or if I wanted a choice of ignition switched or always on, I'd use the 12v port in the back.... Actually, since I have the Aux package, I would use one of the 12 volt power wires it provides..

For those that say a lot of talk about simple wiring and to just have at it... WELL, not everyone is comfortable with having at it lets say. There are a lot of young guys and gals here that are Novices and just getting into the swing of things so to speak.. To be honest, I'm 71 yo and have wired many many an accessory to Jeeps and such, but even I tip toe these days with wiring as Can Bus can really make your life miserable. Best bet these days is to be as minimally invasive as possible to to ask questions and be overly concerned just like the OP has been here...
Thanks much and agree!

Wisdom and experience - powerful tools

Last edited:

Sponsored

JLUSDIEM

First Name
Diem
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 RUBICON 4xe
Getting back on topic, I'm only going to assume that you don't have the aux group bc I hardwired mine into aux 4.

Texcal

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Rubicon JLU
Getting back on topic, I'm only going to assume that you don't have the aux group bc I hardwired mine into aux 4.
Did you make adjustments to the AUX switch settings in the menu?
I hav 3 wires with my dashcam kit. Battery, ACC and ground. Is this doable with AUX?

Thx in advance.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did you make adjustments to the AUX switch settings in the menu?
I hav 3 wires with my dashcam kit. Battery, ACC and ground. Is this doable with AUX?

Thx in advance.
@Texcal

With factory installed Aux, in the front passenger foot well, you will find the Aux bundle. This bundle has a Direct to battery wire, an ignition switched wire and also Aux 1, 2, 3, 4 wire.

No settings need to be done in UConnect for direct to battery and ignition switched wires.

There is also an easy to access, ground point in the front passenger foot well.

By the way, you will find an Aux bundle in the engine compartment, right by the Main battery. That bundle only has Aux 1, 2, 3, 4 and no direct to battery or ignition switched wire.

Here is a pic that shows wire colors and Amp..
Jeep Wrangler JL Can i splice here for dashcam? 12v source wires

Here is pic of ground point in front passenger foot well:
Jeep Wrangler JL Can i splice here for dashcam? footground
Sponsored