Sponsored

c_seabaugh

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I’m no engineer but wouldn’t Jeep likely have made these changes to the steering because of the extra weight of the Diesel engine?
Hey! Wrote the article in question--Jeep has confirmed to me that the changes were made to all 2020MY Wranglers and Gladiators, regardless of powertrain. On the same day our 2020 Wrangler EcoDiesel tester showed up a 2020 Gladiator Rubicon did, too. It also featured similar steering to the 2020 JL.
Sponsored

BrandonB00

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sport S, 2006 Wrangler,
I test drove three different 2020 JL's a couple of weeks ago. All three drove differently. Two of them were 4 doors with different engines. I felt one was drifting all over where the 2nd one didn't seem to drift at all.
Exactly this! The jeeps I test drove were fine, I drove a 4 door turbo, I drove a 2 door rubicon. and something else. Steering wasn't an issue. I loved them coming from a 2006 TJ. I've been so disappointed from day 1 with my Jeep.

Rudolph Hart

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR GME Mojito!
Occupation
Semi retired
Hey! Wrote the article in question--Jeep has confirmed to me that the changes were made to all 2020MY Wranglers and Gladiators, regardless of powertrain. On the same day our 2020 Wrangler EcoDiesel tester showed up a 2020 Gladiator Rubicon did, too. It also featured similar steering to the 2020 JL.
Ok, that answers my point, thank you.

There are owners on here who have concerns about their steering, I’m not included in that, but I don’t think I’ve ever seen anybody else say it’s too heavy.

jespey

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR White; 2021 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands
Might explain why neither my 2020 JLUS nor my wife’s 2020 JLUR have any steering issues. Both track straight on I 95 in Florida with minimal to no input.

BrandonB00

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hey, Great to see you on!

Sponsored

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
New steering box with different valving was something that was being worked on at least for a year; so this could be it.

I know they have made pump flow changes that came in the revised software that came out in conjunction with "AD/AE" steering box so this has been done once before.

BrandonB00

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I doubt FCA would recall every single wrangler JL from 2018. We gotta live with our cheap steering.
Well if we are lucky it's a software adjustment and you can go in, have new calibration parameters loaded to the PCM and drive out. I've asked every dealer I've been to to please re flash my PCM but if they won't admit there is a problem, they are unable to reflash.

Dano36

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Firecracker Red Rubicon, 2016 Torch Red Corvette, 2018 Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Whatever it takes.
Mr Seabaugh, I read all your articles and think you do a great job but Jeep snowed you when they told you they fixed all 2020 models. I got my 2020 in December and it wanders about like the TJ's that I have owned. It steers nice and light but has a dead spot and wanders.

Sponsored

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon
My steering is light, in fact there's practically 0 resistance in the 2" on-center deadspot. But, "drives as designed" per Jeep dealerships, fucking jerkoffs.

c_seabaugh

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Mr Seabaugh, I read all your articles and think you do a great job but Jeep snowed you when they told you they fixed all 2020 models. I got my 2020 in December and it wanders about like the TJ's that I have owned. It steers nice and light but has a dead spot and wanders.
As my dad would say, "Mr. Seabagh is my father."

Sorry to hear about your 2020 model. A bit of an on-center dead-spot and a touch of wander isn't unexpected considering the JL and JT are solid-front axle vehicles. That being said that sounds super annoying. I've got an email out to FCA asking for more specifics on the fixes and changes they've made to 2020MY JL/Ts and hopefully the info will prove helpful to all you guys when they get back to me.
Sponsored