Sponsored

Does anyone actually like start-stop

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
How do you do that???? Did you have to buy some box and plug it into your Jeep (like that start stop box or tazer whatever), did you unplug some auxiliary battery switch or do something to some stuff under the hood BUT it will give you some warning on your dashboard!
Mine hasn't worked since I bought the car. I bought it from a dealer too far away to go back and complain. If I was worried about it I would have to find a local dealer to do a warranty repair but it hasn't bothered me that much yet. It does have 3 annoying notifications on the dash that I have to just ignore.
Sponsored

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
Do I need to do it in the Walmart parking lot at midnight?
Yes.
I would like to try it. Thanks for sharing Dave!
Don’t get caught.
Hate it, don’t want it, I can live without it.
:giggle:
Just let it out.
I’m not sticking around for that.
And no, someone told me to go to Burger King and look for a kitchen helper name Duane that would magically turn off my ESS forever. I did that. Only to find there was no Duane in BK. So please don't fall for that advice.
:CWL:

rancej

First Name
Rance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
I hate it as well. I have it on my new commuter Jetta GLI and it works great on it. On the JL, it's slower to respond. I also hate when I pull in to a parking spot/driveway and it cuts off, then when I put it in park, it starts back up before I hit the start/stop button.

RoadiJeff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0T Recon, 2018 3.6L GC High Altitude
Both my GC and my wife's Recon have ESS. Neither of us DISlike it. She leaves it on all the time and I usually turn it off when starting the engine but sometimes I just leave it on. I try to remember to turn it off before pulling into the garage, since it shuts the engine off as soon as I come to a stop but starts it right away when I shift into Park.

Pressing a button to disable ESS is not that big of a deal, anymore than pressing a button to start the engine but a lot of people seem to get all worked up about it. I dont see any threads complaining about having to press the brake pedal in order to start the engine and that's something we didn't have to do a few years back.

MikeJLURubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Medicolegal Death Investigator
I don't mind it. Doesn't bother me. I have a Taser JL but haven't had to urge to disable

Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
I hate it as well. I have it on my new commuter Jetta GLI and it works great on it. On the JL, it's slower to respond. I also hate when I pull in to a parking spot/driveway and it cuts off, then when I put it in park, it starts back up before I hit the start/stop button.
pretty easy work around to that. I usually just pop into neutral as I am coming to a stop (>1 MPH) and then shift into park when I'm stopped all the way.

emptyminded42

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hellayella JLU Sport S 6MT, Forester XT
Occupation
Engineer
I like it. It works well enough with the manual transmission that it really never interferes with my driving. Sometimes it's annoying when the heat or A/C turns off before I'm comfortable but in the grand scheme of things, I don't really care. It's a simple button press away from turning it off. If it saves few a little money on fuel and doesn't interfere with my use of the vehicle I'm fine with it. It's better than paying a gas guzzler surcharge at purchase, IMO.

Kluk Ztopolovky

First Name
Kluk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport 2dr Sting Gray manual
I know the Service manager at my dealership and he turns his off when he starts his Jeep.

I get in mine and that's first button I push OFF.
you see in the old days you could have just drop crazy glue inside that start/stop BS button and it would solve the issue but nowdays you need to spend over hundred bucks and still wonder if you are not causing other electronic system complications , I am telling you we are doomed

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
That's the best reason so far to dislike it. If it won't last 1.5 years and 4000 miles then it's going to be trouble for a lot of people.

slh7d

First Name
Sheldon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
The ESS is pretty seamless with the 2.0L I have in my JLUR. By the time I lift my foot off the brake and over to the gas pedal, the engine is started and ready to go. If I am doing a lot of stop/starting, I will disable it. Or sitting stopped for a extended period of time and the A/C stops blowing cold, I will disable it. Mostly I am getting used to it though.

Sponsored

Kraty1

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL
Occupation
Sales & Marketing
Wait wait WAAAAAIT Dave!! Do what now????? I am trying to understand you. Does it mean there is a way to permanent turn ESS off??? Like I don't have to push the damn button ever again?

Do I need to do it in the Walmart parking lot at midnight? Cause if it has something to do with opening door, stepping on break and the car not being in park - I am a bit worried that I might did some crazy stuff like crashing my car into autozone.

BUT if this is permanent - I would like to try it. Thanks for sharing Dave!

1ff.gif
Not permanent, just a way to avoid shutting off the engine by mistake then it turning right back on which is probably not good...

Dash68

First Name
Skip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'95 Chevy S10 ZR2 '12 JKUR '17 GC TH
I 've noticed ess in my GC seems to operate smoothly when I'm not in a hurry. If I need to get on the gas pedal quickly from a dead stop, my GC hesitates then violently lurches forward once the ess has restarted the engine, even enough to squawk the tires sometimes. Mine also shuts the engine off every time I stop to park only to start up again when I put the transmission into park. Also, it would be nice to have a way to see how much fuel the system saves. I suspect the fuel savings would be very little if any for me considering where I drive.

Last edited:

Mrcake3014

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
Mine hasn't worked since I bought the car. I bought it from a dealer too far away to go back and complain. If I was worried about it I would have to find a local dealer to do a warranty repair but it hasn't bothered me that much yet. It does have 3 annoying notifications on the dash that I have to just ignore.
Mine hasn't worked right since i got it. The dealer had to replace it after I got Jeep Wave involved. Now it goes on and off sporadically. Annoying!
Sponsored