Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Maybe old news or fake news, but I thought I’d share:

https://www.autoblog.com/amp/2020/06/28/2021-jeep-wrangler-engine-options/

2021 Jeep Wrangler supposedly ditching 2.0L eTorque

Last year, Jeep made a few changes to the powertrain options that appeared focused on encouraging greater adoption of the 2.0-liter four-cylinder turbo. Instead of charging for the four-cylinder engine option and the obligatory eight-speed automatic transmission on top of that, Jeep made the four-cylinder free and only charged for the gearbox. Along with the price drop, Jeep made the 2.0-liter mill supplemented by FCA's 48-volt eTorque system available only on the Sahara trim, when it had been available across the range. For 2021, "dealer connections" told Mopar Insiders that Jeep will drop the 2.0-liter with eTorque from even the Sahara model for the 2021 model year.

That leave the 2.0-liter with stop/start (ESS), the 3.6-liter V6 with stop/start and the 3.6 V6 with eTorque in the gas engine lineup for 2021, and the 3.0-liter EcoDiesel V6. As is currently the case, the V6 with ESS remains the standard engine. It appears output won't change from 285 horsepower and 260 pound-feet of torque, and the V6 ESS engine is the only one of the four that can be paired with the six-speed manual transmission. The other three engines require the automatic. The EcoDiesel will continue as an option for the four-door Unlimited trim only.

We still don't know what powertrain lives under the skin of the Wrangler 4xe plug-in hybrid launching later this year. Some wonder if the 2.0-liter will return as the heart of a Wrangler plug-in for next year, or if the Jeep will borrow the PHEV mechanicals from the Chrysler Pacifica plug-in hybrid. The minivan pairs the same 3.6-liter V6 used in the Jeep to drive the front wheels with a battery-driven electric motor turning the rears, and Jeep execs have mentioned that eAWD system coming to the Jeep lineup.
Sponsored

scottijohn63

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota FJ Cruiser, Corvette Z06 Convertible
Maybe old news or fake news, but I thought I’d share:

https://www.autoblog.com/amp/2020/06/28/2021-jeep-wrangler-engine-options/

2021 Jeep Wrangler supposedly ditching 2.0L eTorque

Last year, Jeep made a few changes to the powertrain options that appeared focused on encouraging greater adoption of the 2.0-liter four-cylinder turbo. Instead of charging for the four-cylinder engine option and the obligatory eight-speed automatic transmission on top of that, Jeep made the four-cylinder free and only charged for the gearbox. Along with the price drop, Jeep made the 2.0-liter mill supplemented by FCA's 48-volt eTorque system available only on the Sahara trim, when it had been available across the range. For 2021, "dealer connections" told Mopar Insiders that Jeep will drop the 2.0-liter with eTorque from even the Sahara model for the 2021 model year.

That leave the 2.0-liter with stop/start (ESS), the 3.6-liter V6 with stop/start and the 3.6 V6 with eTorque in the gas engine lineup for 2021, and the 3.0-liter EcoDiesel V6. As is currently the case, the V6 with ESS remains the standard engine. It appears output won't change from 285 horsepower and 260 pound-feet of torque, and the V6 ESS engine is the only one of the four that can be paired with the six-speed manual transmission. The other three engines require the automatic. The EcoDiesel will continue as an option for the four-door Unlimited trim only.

We still don't know what powertrain lives under the skin of the Wrangler 4xe plug-in hybrid launching later this year. Some wonder if the 2.0-liter will return as the heart of a Wrangler plug-in for next year, or if the Jeep will borrow the PHEV mechanicals from the Chrysler Pacifica plug-in hybrid. The minivan pairs the same 3.6-liter V6 used in the Jeep to drive the front wheels with a battery-driven electric motor turning the rears, and Jeep execs have mentioned that eAWD system coming to the Jeep lineup.
I love mine on my 2019 Sahara!

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Old news. It is on the 3.6 now.

WhereRU_A-A-Ron

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Unlimited Willys, 2015 Toyota Sienna XLE
Occupation
Restaurant Manager
My guess is that they’ll use the 2.0L for the 4xe and want to avoid confusion by having two “hybrid” 2.0L engine options. The 2.0L seems to me to be the better choice for the 4xe as it’ll be much lighter and offers similar performance to the 3.6L V6. I don’t think they’ll use the same powertrain setup as the Pacifica. Time will tell.

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
FCA never made a case for why we should get the eTorque motor. It wasn't more efficient, it was available on certain trims but not others, blah blah blah. Who the hell knows what they were trying to do.

Good riddance.

Nomoracin

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
I just hope that they're not ditching it due to issues they've found.

Nomoracin

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
What "issues ? At 15,000 miles, I have had Zero issues.
Please elaborate
That's not what I meant. I'm not saying that there are issues...I'm saying that I'm hoping "they" didn't find some potential issues.

I have a 2019 2.0T with 4k miles...I just don't want to find out that there may be issues when I hit 60k miles or something, you know?

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Chances are their reasons were multiple.

For starters, hybrid technology is tough sell. Particularly when fuel prices are low.

Worse, FCA never really articulated the benefits of eTorque. When you went to the Build and Price, FCA showed eTorque as a $1,000 option; when you clicked for more information, all you got was a short blurb in technical mumbo-jumbo. By contrast, Ford spent many years and millions of dollars actively promoting EcoBoost technology: what it is, what it does, what benefits it provides, and how durable the motors are. What did FCA do when eTorque failed to sell? They added a $500 rebate...

And then there are the always-present doubts about FCA quality and durability, and of Jeep customer service. More complexity means more problems all around. More so on a Jeep.

After liquidating the sea of JLs with eTorque sitting unsold in dealer lots, Jeep made the 2.0T available without eTorque. This made it easier to eventually pull the plug on the technology altogether.

Sponsored

ODDs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hella Yella Sahara
I'm personally sad to see it go, but not surprised. It is now basically the middle engine, and America doesn't do well with anything in the middle.

Do you like torque, but don't need diesel stump pulling torque? Do you like better gas mileage, but don't want to pay to get diesel gas mileage? Do you prefer not having to slow down traffic as you pull your pop-up up mountain grades at 7000 ft elevation? Do you just like a little smile on your face the many times a day you accelerate off the line with a nice boost of torque?

Well, that's foolish. Because you should either choose the simple V6 for its fewer parts to go wrong, or pony up all the way for the diesel with a lot things to go wrong. Nothing in the middle.

I find it interesting that on the Bronco thread there is so much praise for the EcoBoost engines, yet here Jeep's equivalent of the EcoBoost pretty much just gets dumped on.

I also think Jeep buyers in general aren't keen to thinking of a four cylinder as anything but a downgrade from a V6. More cylinders is always better. While Ford put a lot of money and time into marketing and iterating on its EcoBoost engines, Jeep just kind of dumped theirs into the world.

So I think Jeep has just given up trying to alter perceptions and just go with them. If buyers think the four cylinder is a base engine, then make it as cheap as possible.

No IFS

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
I love it when people say my brand new vehicle doesn’t have any issues. Duh. Give those babies 5-7 years in the Rust Belt. Three cooling systems no maintenance lots of electrical , lots of rust. Yeah what could go wrong.

KennyS

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara w/sky one touch
That's not what I meant. I'm not saying that there are issues...I'm saying that I'm hoping "they" didn't find some potential issues.

I have a 2019 2.0T with 4k miles...I just don't want to find out that there may be issues when I hit 60k miles or something, you know?
FWIW, I have a 2019 Sahara with 8000 miles and the turbo engine. I have had no engine issues and I like the experience so far. I’m happy to continue to monitor both my experience and what Jeep does to change engines moving forward. When my Jeep is out of warranty, I will go back to the v6 if that’s the best option. I don’t want to be in an extinct Jeep engine out of warranty unless they’re absolutely flawless 3 years and 36k miles in... just my two cents...

NPE102414

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I'm personally sad to see it go, but not surprised. It is now basically the middle engine, and America doesn't do well with anything in the middle.

Do you like torque, but don't need diesel stump pulling torque? Do you like better gas mileage, but don't want to pay to get diesel gas mileage? Do you prefer not having to slow down traffic as you pull your pop-up up mountain grades at 7000 ft elevation? Do you just like a little smile on your face the many times a day you accelerate off the line with a nice boost of torque?

Well, that's foolish. Because you should either choose the simple V6 for its fewer parts to go wrong, or pony up all the way for the diesel with a lot things to go wrong. Nothing in the middle.

I find it interesting that on the Bronco thread there is so much praise for the EcoBoost engines, yet here Jeep's equivalent of the EcoBoost pretty much just gets dumped on.

I also think Jeep buyers in general aren't keen to thinking of a four cylinder as anything but a downgrade from a V6. More cylinders is always better. While Ford put a lot of money and time into marketing and iterating on its EcoBoost engines, Jeep just kind of dumped theirs into the world.

So I think Jeep has just given up trying to alter perceptions and just go with them. If buyers think the four cylinder is a base engine, then make it as cheap as possible.
Sponsored