Pmccammon00

First Name
Philbert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Ecodiesel
Occupation
Retired, live 6 months in Scottsdale, 6 months in Steamboat Springs, Co and the remaining 6 months on the road with Rubi and BoreasXT trailer.
Well old schoolers like you and me use more common sense than the new schooler thinking. With a new car, first 1,000 miles it gets changed, then every 3,000 miles and I've never had motor problems and I've had 45 new vehicles since 1970.

Way to go "old schoolers"!
Wow 45 new vehicles in 50 years. You could probably never change your oil before your engine breaks lol
Sponsored

Nerobergstr

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
West Texas Barn Find 1970 Kaiser Jeepster Commando
Vehicle Showcase
Just got my oil changed at dealer @ 1400 miles...Will probably do it myself after I run out of Jeep Wave credits or whatever...Anyway dealer warned me that oil changes are > $200 on these things and filter alone is > $75....Where are DIY folks buying the filters? I did a quick check at the usual places online and I don't see a lot of diesel wrangler options yet.

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
Out of curiosity what spec oil do they want in the 3.0.

Also what have they improved over the older verison?
A freind has a 17 ram eco and likes it,

And lastly how is the fuel economy on them in say a 75% highway mix.

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Network Architect & Engineer

Mine is about 80% highway driving and my fuel consumption varies between 26.6 to 27.1 mpg.
According to the diesel supplemental manual for 3.0L page 51: SAE 5W-40 Synthetic, API SN 9 US Quarts or 8.5 Metric Quarts .

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
Mine is about 80% highway driving and my fuel consumption varies between 26.6 to 27.1 mpg.
According to the diesel supplemental manual for 3.0L page 51: SAE 5W-40 Synthetic, API SN 9 US Quarts or 8.5 Metric Quarts .
But has to be MS 12991 spec if I understand correctly, low SAPs oil. Assume they must be using Penzoil5w-40 Euro??

Sponsored

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
But has to be MS 12991 spec if I understand correctly, low SAPs oil. Assume they must be using Penzoil5w-40 Euro??
Yes, it must be FCA MS-12991. The Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W40 was reformulated recently per a FCA representative and is not currently stamped with the MS-12991 rating but may be in the near future.

I've been using Valvoline MST 5W40 because it's the least expensive oil I can find that has MS-12991 stamped on the actual bottles.

For filters, I've been shopping at dieselfiltersonline.com because they're selling the Gen 3 EcoDiesel filters at 50% off list price.

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Correct, MS-12991 - the manual recommends Mopar or Pennzoil Platinum Euro.

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Yes, it must be FCA MS-12991. The Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W40 was reformulated recently per a FCA representative and is not currently stamped with the MS-12991 rating but may be in the near future.
I guess it does now? From Amazon:

Jeep Wrangler JL 1st oil change for diesel? Snip20200629_1

WVB

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys Unlimited 3.0L Diesel HellaYella

Others answered the oil type. My wife followed myself and the fifthwheel for 400 miles last week. At those speeds 65-70 the Jeep hand calculated at 28.9mpg.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
I guess it does now? From Amazon:

Snip20200629_1.png
That's likely referring to the former formulation, which is likely still on the market. It was only a month or two ago that a FCA rep on the forum told us Pennzoil had reformulated the Euro oil and it was pending approval for MS-12991.

Sponsored

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
This was posted at the very end of April:

"Hi all,

I do apologize for the delay in my response, as I was awaiting a follow up from our engineering team on this matter. I have been advised that diesel oils like Shell Rotella should not be used as they will cause turbo coking and associated concerns as this engine has lower engine pressure than previous generation engines. Please know that the Pennzoil Platinum Euro has moved to SN+ with new formulation and it has not been validated. There are plans to test the Pennzoil Platinum Euro SP grade oil as soon as the virus situation progresses. Please do not hesitate to reach back out down the road, as I am happy to provide any additional updates I can.

Mark
RamCares"

So yeah, if you have the older Pennzoil with MS-12991 on the bottle you'll be fine. They can't say anything about it for warranty issues.

I'm going to stick with the Valvoline for now, since it's spec and it's less expensive.

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
Unless I missed it in another thread, there’s a spot of context worth mentioning regarding the otherwise beaten-dead-horse issue of 3.0 operating costs. Yes the oil changes cost more (though still reasonable if you shop around for the filter and oil), but the 3.6 oil change interval is 8,000 miles. Getting another 25% range out of 3.0 oil/filter makes a huge difference in operating costs which has gone largely unappreciated by the “you’ll never save a dime running a diesel” crowd.

SolarWizard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nacho3lJT
Occupation
Owner @ Solar Co

I've been using Valvoline MST 5W40 because it's the least expensive oil I can find that has MS-12991 stamped on the actual bottles.

For filters, I've been shopping at dieselfiltersonline.com because they're selling the Gen 3 EcoDiesel filters at 50% off list price.
thanks for the info
never mind found them

https://www.dieselfiltersonline.com...embly-2020-ram-1500-with-3-0l-eco-diesel.html

Last edited:

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Unless I missed it in another thread, there’s a spot of context worth mentioning regarding the otherwise beaten-dead-horse issue of 3.0 operating costs. Yes the oil changes cost more (though still reasonable if you shop around for the filter and oil), but the 3.6 oil change interval is 8,000 miles. Getting another 25% range out of 3.0 oil/filter makes a huge difference in operating costs which has gone largely unappreciated by the “you’ll never save a dime running a diesel” crowd.
Well, not exactly.

The Pentastar 3.6L spec reads exactly the same way the EcoDiesel 3.0L spec reads in the manual. "Under no circumstances should you ever exceed 10,000 miles" on an oil change cycle. If you go by the oil life monitor on the dash, both engines will typically get to 0-5% life remaining at 8,000 miles. So there is zero added oil life range with the diesel.

I just changed the oil in my EcoDiesel a couple days ago, at 4,228 miles. First one, so I did it early. The oil life monitor was already down to 46%.

Doing it myself at home for the absolute least cost possible, the Pentastar was $25 for synthetic oil that meets spec and a Mopar filter. The EcoDiesel is $100 for synthetic oil that meets spec and a Mopar filter. That's a 300% increase in basic maintenance cost for the diesel. Oh but wait...every second oil change with the diesel also requires a new fuel filter at a minimum cost of $40 so that pushes you to 460% more cost than the Pentastar.

It's true that we've hashed this to death. But a guy should NEVER buy a diesel to save money. You will spend more money, not save any.

OP
OP
rickinAZ

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Well, not exactly.

The Pentastar 3.6L spec reads exactly the same way the EcoDiesel 3.0L spec reads in the manual. "Under no circumstances should you ever exceed 10,000 miles" on an oil change cycle. If you go by the oil life monitor on the dash, both engines will typically get to 0-5% life remaining at 8,000 miles. So there is zero added oil life range with the diesel.

I just changed the oil in my EcoDiesel a couple days ago, at 4,228 miles. First one, so I did it early. The oil life monitor was already down to 46%.

Doing it myself at home for the absolute least cost possible, the Pentastar was $25 for synthetic oil that meets spec and a Mopar filter. The EcoDiesel is $100 for synthetic oil that meets spec and a Mopar filter. That's a 300% increase in basic maintenance cost for the diesel. Oh but wait...every second oil change with the diesel also requires a new fuel filter at a minimum cost of $40 so that pushes you to 460% more cost than the Pentastar.

It's true that we've hashed this to death. But a guy should NEVER buy a diesel to save money. You will spend more money, not save any.
Totally agree. I'm an old-schooler who "over changes" his oil. Still the cheapest insurance for your engine. Based on WXman's info on oil life monitor, why push it to the absolute limit? 0-5% left with 2,000 miles to go, and still driving your $60K vehicle - really?

As an aside, I find it humorous that some owners stress themselves out to get the best discount when purchasing their Jeep, and then turn around and cheap out on oil changes.

BTW, WXman, I'm not refering to you, just commenting on the info that you objectively provided.
Sponsored