Sponsored

Clutch Recall (FCA W12 | 20V-124) on 2018-2020 JL Manuals [overheating clutch pressure plate]

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL
Just wanted to confirm the current theory behind the clutch recall. The recall summary does not spell it out well.

In looking over the data that’s out there on the net, FCAs current hypothesis is that the hose that goes from the brake fluid reservoir to to the clutch master cylinder may not seal adequately. This in turn allows fluid to escape and air to enter. The air in the system is what is causing the clutch to not fully engage/disengage, causing the clutch plate overheating issue. So, not really a clutch plate issue but a hydraulic control issue.
Is this an accurate assessment of FCAs stance on the issue?
Thanks for any insight.
Sponsored

JEEPIDON

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon, 2021 Gladiator Rubicon, 2013 Ram2500
Occupation
Retired - Business Consultant
Took my 2018 jlu sport in yesterday for the recall. Had an appointment at 7 am. My girl friend dropped it off and when she was talking to the service write up gentleman has told her they don’t have any parts for the recall and that no service would be rendered. I drove to the deal at that point from my office. Few miles away. And had to explain the recall to the service write up guy. Strike one. It was just the first inspection of the clutch system to see what would need to be done. 1 hr was the allotted time. I called at my lunch 5 hours after dropping the Jeep off. No one knew if my Jeep was touched. I showed up on my way home 3 more hours later and walked into the managers office And asked what was going on with my wrangler. He proceeded to tell me it’s been done since 9am. STRIKE TWO. Next I asked what they found. He then tells me all they did was press the clutch Peddle 50x to see if it leaks anywhere on the hydraulic line. Which it passed. (I know it doesn’t leak. I inspect under the hood and under the Jeep before every trip I go on.) next I asked if they inspected the friction plate for any fracturing. I was told that if it passed the leak test they do no more testing Per the procedure.. I asked if he knows if my friction plate Was fractured. Of course he goes back to saying it passed the first part so everything must be good to go... are you KIDDING ME?. How can I drive my wrangler confidently knowing that they failed to inspect the friction plate Like they should. After him telling me they followed FCA procedure to the “T” I asked if they installed Or (are they going to install at a later date) for heat sleeve on the cooling line per the W12 recall again he said no because the FCA PROCEDURE said they don’t go further past the leak test if it passes. After getting home I PMd @JeepCares and asked for the recall procedure so I can gather information so I can choose what I am going to do next. I will never return to the dealer I went to. But I need to know what should have been done before moving forth on what choices I have going forward.. now I’m debating asking Jeep to buy the vehicle back, sale the thing and get something that I will have piece of mind driving with my family, hope that FCA does the right thing and properly inspects the clutch like they should and provide the all the photos and paperwork to show me with confidence that my wrangler will never catch fire due to the clutch failure known problem. Was going to buy my
Girlfriend a Jeep in 2021. This has made me change my mind. FCA DOES NOT BACK THEIR PRODUCT NOR CARE ABOUT THEIR CUSTOMERS. So frustrating.
I would stomp my feet and start pouting! Lots of luck with the buy back.

Goosed

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Just wanted to confirm the current theory behind the clutch recall. The recall summary does not spell it out well.

In looking over the data that’s out there on the net, FCAs current hypothesis is that the hose that goes from the brake fluid reservoir to to the clutch master cylinder may not seal adequately. This in turn allows fluid to escape and air to enter. The air in the system is what is causing the clutch to not fully engage/disengage, causing the clutch plate overheating issue. So, not really a clutch plate issue but a hydraulic control issue.
Thanks for any insight.
believe this is correct.

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

believe this is correct.
this is what they state now. Apparently, I dont understand how hard it is... oh wait i do understand. five mins to put a stick camera in the inspection port to check the pressure plate for any issues.oh well ill just manage the clutch problem on my own like everything else since fca cannot seem to get the dealers to do their job properly

SirMagnus89

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jl Sport 2 Door, Mojito!

Thanks for any insight.
This was my understanding from the get go and also would confirm my thoughts on my specific issue. The clutch would get worse the longer i drove it. With the clutch fluid heating up and having the air in the line expanding, this would make the engagement very finicky. When i was at the dealer, a woman was telling me she actually lost braking pressure a few times. Why does the clutch and brakes share a system anyway? All my other manual cars had a designated reservoir for both clutch and booster.

Sponsored

OBJLU

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
The rear main seal was leaking? How is that even possible? My god, this doesn’t make me feel good knowing that. I have a 2004 Forester XT with 260,000km’s CA

I don’t blame you. I’ve had enough as well. I worked in the industry and have seen some bad business practice. Dealers have a bad reputation for a reason. I’m disgusted that my experience so far has been terrible. Especially the dealer, which here in Ontario Canada OMVIC should be shutting these guys down.

Yes, I was shocked but glad they caught it and after much trouble I finally have my jeep back and it's working as it should. I can't believe it took so long to fix with so many foul ups along the way. Thanks to @JeepCares.

JP18

First Name
J.P.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Rubicon
Why does the clutch and brakes share a system anyway? All my other manual cars had a designated reservoir for both clutch and booster.
Because some engineer out there decded that they could save a few bucks that way. Terrible design.

JP18

amnesiac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S
Took mine in this morning. They had it 2.5 hours, and said they didn’t need to do anything further.

plus I got to drive a sweet Compass Limited. It had leather and a nice moon roof, but the hamsters under the hood seemed a bit overtaxed.

Also thought it was weird they had a Wrangler graphic in the windshield? Is that their subtle way of trying to get you to upgrade?

7B3B7F18-EF4A-4D07-84F3-B6E656CE32E8.jpeg

amnesiac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S
Oh, and the clutch does seem a bit stiffer.

Which is fine by me, it was super light.

Sponsored

JP18

First Name
J.P.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Rubicon
Yep - someone realized they had two reservoirs of the exact same fluid, so why not cost cut?
For the same reason that the brake system has two separate sub-systems for front & rear...

JP18

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Took the Wrangler in back in April for this. They looked at it and said nothing to do, no parts. Then I heard nothing from the dealer (typical crappy dealership service). Keep in mind for whatever reason this dealership doesn’t like to answer phone calls. They actually roll you to voicemail. I tried calling them 4 times on different days and at different times of the day.

Soooo, I drove to the place today to discuss. They said they have the sleeves in stock but if the test indicates a new clutch is needed they will keep the Wrangler and provide a courtesy vehicle.

If Jeep Cares is listening they said they have a customers Wrangler that’s been sitting on their lot for almost 6 weeks now waiting for a clutch. Jeep Cares, parts are available? Really?

Boy am I glad I bought the FCA lifetime warranty just in time before they stopped selling it. This Wrangler has had more recalls than ALL my other vehicles combined.
If you send us your VIN we can take a look.

Kaitlin
Jeep Cares