Mikeyut3

Mikeyut3

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Yea you have the powered mirror, the wiring should be there. If you have the auto dimming mirror then there should be something you can tap into.
I guess all these posts with people routing wires dont have power (i.e. auto dim) mirrors?
Sponsored

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
I guess all these posts with people routing wires dont have power (i.e. auto dim) mirrors?
I think a lot of people just didn’t know that you can tap into there. As yes, if you have the 5” uconnect you don’t have powered mirrors.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@Mikeyut3 Think long and hard and do your homework before ripping into that rear view mirror assembly on your 2020 . Consider whether you want that dash cam powered -ON all the time or only on when the JL is running. Regardless, there are multiple ways of getting power to the dashcam. Think! Also, research how to go about getting at the 2020 rear mirror inners... Sure guys here will urge you to just have at it but they aren't going to pay for what you screw up. In closing, do your homework before you..........

OP
OP
Mikeyut3

Mikeyut3

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I think a lot of people just didn’t know that you can tap into there. As yes, if you have the 5” uconnect you don’t have powered mirrors.
Really appreciate all this! Any recommendation on easy splice clips that are (I guess) small and will fit inside when I put it all back together? Thx!

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L

Sponsored

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
Those look cool. You could also use couple of these. Autozone and others have them

Jeep Wrangler JL Can i splice here for dashcam? 585C880B-A451-41B7-9619-DC2C55617864
Jeep Wrangler JL Can i splice here for dashcam? 585C880B-A451-41B7-9619-DC2C55617864
Those are absolutely horrible. As a mechanic with more than 25 years of experience I can not express how badly I want people to stop using these.

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase

Ohio Hiker

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS Billet Silver
Occupation
Computer nerd / Retired US Air Force
If I perform any splicing I would use solder type vs clips. Amazon link
Just use a heat gun, not soldering iron.

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
If you're tapping power be sure you consider the wire gauge and fuse of the circuit to be sure you don't overload it.

Running a wire allows you to be sure of what is on the circuit and how it will behave.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Mikeyut3

Mikeyut3

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
If you're tapping power be sure you consider the wire gauge and fuse of the circuit to be sure you don't overload it.

Running a wire allows you to be sure of what is on the circuit and how it will behave.
Makes sense...I appreciate the reminder.

OP
OP
Mikeyut3

Mikeyut3

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Sorry, but there are a few polite things I will say to that:

Knowledge is power - if someone else has it, I will leverage it.
Time is money - if someone else can help me save it, I will go that route.
Dont reinvent the wheel - if someone has the solution, use it.

With all due respect: If no one knows nor has the answer...ok fine...perhaps one can go on a "discovery mission." But as you can see, this seems known and done. If you read the thread, you will see that Arterius2 seems to be getting close to giving an answer and is seeking some helpful clarification from me (thank you btw). Hijacking the thread without a response and inserting your "I don't know just wing it" response is less than helpful. The power of this forum is the knowledge it has and connectivity it provides for answers....ask yourself this: what if EVERY response was yours - i.e. "I don't know...just start doing stuff...try, see what happens" - definitionally it would render the forum essentially useless - ergo the proof that responses like this that find their way into posts are less than helpful to everyone.
GtX - dont be sad face!

My point is that it becomes VERY frustrating when I read post and then someone dive-bombs in and says something obviously unhelpful, without response or intentionally deviates the conversation. Imagine (pre covid!) standing on the street corner and having a productive conversation with someone and another person just walks by and starts yelling unrelated words - its the functional equivalent, but digitally. Now, of course, there are natural tangents threads go on - but it is never helpful to just say the equivalent of "I dunno just wing it" or "who knows...just start taking stuff apart" - unless, of course, it is an obvious joke...

I find this forum SO incredibly helpful and I will do what I can to add value - which includes trying to maintain the sanctity of it!

MyDaughters20JL

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JL Sport S
first off, I understand what you're trying to accomplish, but your entire post is not only argumentative, but a bit on the lazy side ( Time is money - if someone else can help me save it, I will go that route.): you want others to take THEIR time to find an answer to YOUR question...there is such a thing as this:
google search help

OP
OP
Mikeyut3

Mikeyut3

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
first off, I understand what you're trying to accomplish, but your entire post is not only argumentative, but a bit on the lazy side ( Time is money - if someone else can help me save it, I will go that route.): you want others to take THEIR time to find an answer to YOUR question...there is such a thing as this:
google search help
I tried google, youtube, pintrest, other search engines - I cannot find anything that references my specific set up. Trust me, if I could, I wouldn't ask.

You are clearly missing the point of the reply and the contextual comment - time is money - the suggestion to me was to just start taking things apart and "see what happens" - i would end up down a random rabbit hole with lots of wasted time. If someone already has the quick answer then voila - great! I am certainly not asking anyone to "take their time" and do de novo work for me....quite the contrary, sir. I am seeing if there already exists a solution or answer to the question.

My "entire post?" This is quite a dramatization and selective attempted representation. The OP was a question, good sir. The response including "Time is money" was post facto to the aforementioned response. That was not the "entire post."

Further, your attempted patronizing addition of a link to how to use Google Help, is also less than helpful. As you can see, which it appears you did not look at, I make several references to reading posts (i.e. searching) for a solution.

OP
OP
Mikeyut3

Mikeyut3

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
@Mikeyut3 Think long and hard and do your homework before ripping into that rear view mirror assembly on your 2020 . Consider whether you want that dash cam powered -ON all the time or only on when the JL is running. Regardless, there are multiple ways of getting power to the dashcam. Think! Also, research how to go about getting at the 2020 rear mirror inners... Sure guys here will urge you to just have at it but they aren't going to pay for what you screw up. In closing, do your homework before you..........
Yes...the more I am learning here - the more I question the benefit vs. risk of doing this... You make a very valid point.
Sponsored