zeebo56

First Name
Zee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep wrangler unlimited sport
Vehicle Showcase
seems like it would be a noticeable difference that is worth it if similar results for most people that do it.

rubileon

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR RHD 3.6
Good stuff. When power adders like superchargers and turbos claim gains, you have to factor in that some of it comes from the higher octane tunes they run.

Has anyone done a custom dyno tune on their stock 3.6 for higher octane fuel? I imagine it has to be better than these canned tunes.

tampahoosier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD and 2005 TJ
I’m super interested in this. I just gotta figure out my compatibility with my JL Tazer Mini. Seems tuners can’t be plugged in simultaneously with the Tazer. I don’t get my Jeep until next week, so I’ll just have to see what I need on the Tazer and if I can unplug it.

DizzyIzzy

First Name
Izzy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 AEV JL370 - Hellayella JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
This would be question for the tuner. Is the factory cooling system adequate enough on the trail to have 50HP and TQ gains? I would like to see the difference in the temp charts from constant running at higher output v normal. Doesn’t this need to be tested out in real world conditions like crawling on the trail in desert heat etc to make sure that you don’t blow a gasket?

Sponsored

LooselyHeldPlans

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 3.6 JLUR
Occupation
Several
The 3.6 can run E85?

any chance something like this could be used to increase mpg? I’m looking to try and get my ranger higher.

Livernois Motorsports

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU Moab/2021 392 Rubicon
Firstly, I hope it's ok that we signed up to post in here to answer some questions on the tuning for the JL/JLU/JT that we offer.

Like with all 15+ Chryslers, these do need a PCM unlock prior to tuning. We do this in-house, and it is a unique unlock and code enhancement for our tuning for our MyCalibrator Tuner.

Additionally, since all of these are an 18+ they also need a bypass cable for us to be able to tune it

Tuner/PCM unlock combo: https://www.livernoismotorsports.com/product/LPP621154

Bypass Cable: https://www.livernoismotorsports.com/product/LPP621000

seems like it would be a noticeable difference that is worth it if similar results for most people that do it.
It's actually pretty dramatic on how much better it performs compared to stock. Throttle response, cooling fan settings, power enrichment, rev and speed limits, plus transmission shift characteristics on the 8-speed trucks dramatically improves how it feels.

Good stuff. When power adders like superchargers and turbos claim gains, you have to factor in that some of it comes from the higher octane tunes they run.

Has anyone done a custom dyno tune on their stock 3.6 for higher octane fuel? I imagine it has to be better than these canned tunes.
Well, truthfully, these trucks SHOULD be running premium fuel right from the get go. They work with 87, and we can actually still make improvements, but it's still held back due to the high compression these engines have.

As for results vs. a "custom" tune, well truthfully we build all of these custom for your vehicle, and it's modifications. The tuner actually comes blank for this reason, because they are always custom. And, I am a firm believe in a well developed mail order tune being far superior to going to a local place for a "custom" tune. These are very complex calibrations, with over 30,000 parameters, and we bother to reverse engineer 100% of them. This is what sets us apart from most places, as we develop the hardware, software, and calibrations here, with our own purchased development vehicles, so our cars are the test units, not yours. Most "custom" tunes the person is actively learning what to do and not do on your vehicle.

I’m super interested in this. I just gotta figure out my compatibility with my JL Tazer Mini. Seems tuners can’t be plugged in simultaneously with the Tazer. I don’t get my Jeep until next week, so I’ll just have to see what I need on the Tazer and if I can unplug it.
Well, depending on the feature, our tuner may already do what you need since we do support tire/gear, and many other service functions on these.

This would be question for the tuner. Is the factory cooling system adequate enough on the trail to have 50HP and TQ gains? I would like to see the difference in the temp charts from constant running at higher output v normal. Doesn’t this need to be tested out in real world conditions like crawling on the trail in desert heat etc to make sure that you don’t blow a gasket?
Well, E85 actually helps cool the engine off, and so does higher octane tuning as the engine temps reduce when better fuel is used. But on E85 it's about 15% cooler than gasoline, and we actually have the fans kick on sooner as the OEM settings sometimes don't turn them on until nearly 230*

The 3.6 can run E85?

any chance something like this could be used to increase mpg? I’m looking to try and get my ranger higher.
Yes, and No. In production form, absolutely not. But, FCA actually gave the engine everything it needs to be able to be flex fuel, just they didn't actually do it. So, with our proprietary calibration and code changes we are able to activate and deliver this functionality. Honestly, once you drive one on E85, you likely will never want to put gasoline back in it, although you can of course.

First thing I wondered!
Well, hopefully you wonder no more!

smarshall

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL
So ~$750 all in? If this can disable ESS I can live without the Tazer.

Sponsored

tampahoosier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTRD and 2005 TJ
Firstly, I hope it's ok that we signed up to post in here to answer some questions on the tuning for the JL/JLU/JT that we offer.
I can’t speak for everyone but I’m sure most appreciate the team getting on here and answering questions themselves. It’s great to see active involvement!

I noted I have the JL Mini Tazer and would want the features from that. Yes I’ll need to do a speedo adjustment for larger tires but It’s many of the other goodies (ie rear camera on with my blinker). I’m a pretty uneducated with it comes to tunes so forgive for the noob questions, but I have a few!

For the tunes, do I plug it in, tune it, unplug it and it’s good to go? If that is the case wouldn’t that mean after I’ve set the tune I want I can then plug the Tazer back in and use it, or am I missing something?

Along those same lines... Because we have to purchase the bypass cable does the mean the Tazer JL Mini is still able to be plugged in at the same time?

If we are factory unlocking the PCM does that mean the dealer will know it and void the warranty?

Have you done any dynos with and without a CAI installed to determine if gains are larger?

e85... just so it’s clear, you’re saying that this engine has the capability for e85, it just needs a software tweak or something? Do you have some sort of hard evidence of this or is it just your experience with the engine that you believe it’s capable?

On your website, just the tuner only is on sale for $499 down from $599 and I see that the tuner and unlock is $699 so my math says normally the unlock is $100 more. Is there sale on the tuner/unlock combo for $599 that reflects the discount off the tuner?

rubileon

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR RHD 3.6
Well, truthfully, these trucks SHOULD be running premium fuel right from the get go. They work with 87, and we can actually still make improvements, but it's still held back due to the high compression these engines have.

As for results vs. a "custom" tune, well truthfully we build all of these custom for your vehicle, and it's modifications. The tuner actually comes blank for this reason, because they are always custom. And, I am a firm believe in a well developed mail order tune being far superior to going to a local place for a "custom" tune. These are very complex calibrations, with over 30,000 parameters, and we bother to reverse engineer 100% of them. This is what sets us apart from most places, as we develop the hardware, software, and calibrations here, with our own purchased development vehicles, so our cars are the test units, not yours. Most "custom" tunes the person is actively learning what to do and not do on your vehicle.
Sounds good. But do you mean 30000 permutations or 30000 parameters?

Also, how good are these with export RHD (3.6) models and "foreign" fuel? Most say the fuel in Australia isn't very good.

Lastly, what if I put on a higher flow exhaust, aftermarket intake and better ignition coils (all are options available for the 3.6 now), would a custom dyno tune give better results than this?

porcusRex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
subaru
im assuming this a 'e85' tune and not a flex fuel tune. that is, when you run the tune, you need to have 100 percent e85 in your tank. it is my understanding that to run flex, you need to run an ethanol sensor somewhere in the fuel system so that i can make adjustments based on the percent of ethanol in your gas. does the jeep have that sensor? can you run flex or simply e85 or gas depending on what is in your tank?

i have a subaru wrx that runs either e85 or premium. its an either-or thing. i dont run flex though there are kits out there now for subarus that include a flex sensor. to run e85, i had to go to larger injectors. the car is not a high pressure fuel inject system. if it had been the tuning would have been more complicated. i did the tune myself over a period of about a month. using cobb tuning hardware, i downloaded a 'starter' map and modified it as i went along. i upgraded the injectors, larger turbo, larger intercooler and cat turbo back exhaust. ive been running this setup for almost ten years. to do the tune, i used a laptop and a wideband oxygen sensor that was added to my exhaust system just after the turbo housing.

if im going from one fuel to the other, i completely drain the tank of the last bit of gas or e85 and doing that can be difficult depending on the car. being able to run flex would remove that requirement.

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Just to add another question to the mix.

Does your tune remove rev hang for us manual guys? If it does, hang on to your butt because everyone who owns a manual is going to want one whether it makes more power or not.

Second, if it does remove rev hang, does it still pass emissions tests or does it come with an off-highway use only statement?

Thanks
Sponsored