Sponsored

Has anyone used the Warn power interrupt kit with a Smittybuilt X20 winch?

desert runner

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR MetalCloak 2.5F/3.5R, LoD Bumper/Carrier.
Interesting setup, very clean. Can you elaborate what we are looking at?
Sponsored

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
Interesting setup, very clean. Can you elaborate what we are looking at?
Me?

I needed some flexibility so I ran some pre drilled angle iron pained black for easy mounting of electrical components down the fender. I mounted a winch solenoid, circuit breaker, fused distribution block, and ground block down the fender to make wiring easier.

I use a VOswitch in the engine bay for switching accessories in the engine bay or front of the rig and have another on order to mount in the rear for accessories in the back of the rig.

The Voswitch are triggered with AUX switches so I can change them from ignition to battery in the UConnect options at will and can easily power on or off everything with the AUX switches.

Most accessories run through the Voswitch for in cab control. But accessories that are only operated outside the cab are wired and switched at point of use. Like engine lights are wired to the power block in the engine bay and switched in the engine bay.

Jeep Wrangler JL Has anyone used the Warn power interrupt kit with a Smittybuilt X20 winch? 20200510_101010

20200518_214017.jpg

JJT-NC

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Oil Burner
Same comment as above. There are actually ground terminals right below your rail
Jeep Wrangler JL Has anyone used the Warn power interrupt kit with a Smittybuilt X20 winch? 20200518_214017

You could use those to connect your green ground cable.
Yes, thanks. There are grounding posts all over the place. Decided to make one ground connection for this system rather than two: I put that winch ground right on the battery also, piggyback with the green wire connector. I do admit to being a slave to installation schematics as well. Shoulda used black wire! ha ha

Sponsored

maddscot

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Rubicon Wrangler Unlimited
Another angle iron rail set up.
On a 3.0.

Jeep Wrangler JL Has anyone used the Warn power interrupt kit with a Smittybuilt X20 winch? 20200518_214017
So am interested in a couple of things... like the install by the way. I too am ready to install a winch and my under hood lights. My question is off the topic by been following as I plan in installing a Warn interrupter kit with a Smitty winch, but I noticed your under hood lights....

Do you have a Rubicon? I pulled my hood blanket and did not see a clean way to route the Cyclone hood lights due to the "vents" and interrupted channels in the hood structure. Was going to put wires into a flex and somehow mount under the hood blanket. Your lights are right where I marked for mine...

James_a

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Rubicon, 2018 JLU Rubicon
Me?

I needed some flexibility so I ran some pre drilled angle iron pained black for easy mounting of electrical components down the fender. I mounted a winch solenoid, circuit breaker, fused distribution block, and ground block down the fender to make wiring easier.

I use a VOswitch in the engine bay for switching accessories in the engine bay or front of the rig and have another on order to mount in the rear for accessories in the back of the rig.

The Voswitch are triggered with AUX switches so I can change them from ignition to battery in the UConnect options at will and can easily power on or off everything with the AUX switches.

Most accessories run through the Voswitch for in cab control. But accessories that are only operated outside the cab are wired and switched at point of use. Like engine lights are wired to the power block in the engine bay and switched in the engine bay.

Great setup. I have a quick question if you don't mind. I have the same voswitch coming in the mail tomorrow and was just looking at an install video and realized it doesn't have a grounding block...

I'm going to be installing the voswitch on the driver side since the area around my battery is already full with the same rail for my winch solenoid as well as Anderson power pole connectors for my compressor and jumper cables. So my question are you running a grounding wire directly from the battery to the ground bar or are you running it to a chassis ground? If to the battery what awg wire did you use and do you need to isolate the ground bar from the chassis? Any insight or recommendations for the install? I do like how you have it triggered by the aux switches I may have to steal that idea.

One more question I'll also be wiring up a set of KC cyclones in the engine bay. How did you mount them and route the wires?

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
Ground block is attached to the ground just below the rail. I see no reason to go back to the battery negative. I have a JLURD.

Cyclones are attached with self tapping screws. Wiring is run under the hood insulation to the back of the engine bay. I have a loom running from driver to passenger along the back of the engine bay for the engine lighting, hood lighting, and whatever else needs to go from one side top the other.

If I ever pull the hood insulation I'll need to reroute the cyclone wiring and attach it to the hood but I took the easy way out and just tucked it in.

James_a

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ground block is attached to the ground just below the rail. I see no reason to go back to the battery negative. I have a JLURD.

Cyclones are attached with self tapping screws. Wiring is run under the hood insulation to the back of the engine bay. I have a loom running from driver to passenger along the back of the engine bay for the engine lighting, hood lighting, and whatever else needs to go from one side top the other.

If I ever pull the hood insulation I'll need to reroute the cyclone wiring and attach it to the hood but I took the easy way out and just tucked it in.
Thanks I had a feeling that's how you ran the cyclone wiring. I', thinking I'll do the same but might add a few cable tie mounts with self tapping screws for extra support.

Since my voswitch is being mounted on the driver side and not by the battery I don't think I have a convenient grounding terminal. I saw a video of it being installed on the drivers side and the person used one of the mounting screws for the voswitch for the ground... I don't really like that. That's why I'm thinking I may have to run a 4awg ground wire from the battery to the ground block... I would be nice if they had designed it with a grounding block in the switch box...

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks I had a feeling that's how you ran the cyclone wiring. I', thinking I'll do the same but might add a few cable tie mounts with self tapping screws for extra support.

Since my voswitch is being mounted on the driver side and not by the battery I don't think I have a convenient grounding terminal. I saw a video of it being installed on the drivers side and the person used one of the mounting screws for the voswitch for the ground... I don't really like that. That's why I'm thinking I may have to run a 4awg ground wire from the battery to the ground block... I would be nice if they had designed it with a grounding block in the switch box...
Do you have a 2.0 our 3.6? I think the switch is supposed to go on driver side. I was worried if it would fit on the 3.0 but it fits perfectly over the fuse block.

Sponsored

James_a

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Do you have a 2.0 our 3.6? I think the switch is supposed to go on driver side. I was worried if it would fit on the 3.0 but it fits perfectly over the fuse block.
I have the 3.6L. The only install video I've seen shows the install of the Voswitch on the driver side. I haven't seen the manual yet but it should arrive today.

This picture is taken off of amazon but it's also on the voswitch website.

Jeep Wrangler JL Has anyone used the Warn power interrupt kit with a Smittybuilt X20 winch? 1592406216389

This is the install video I was referring to.

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
I have the 3.6L. The only install video I've seen shows the install of the Voswitch on the driver side. I haven't seen the manual yet but it should arrive today.

This picture is taken off of amazon but it's also on the voswitch website.

Jeep Wrangler JL Has anyone used the Warn power interrupt kit with a Smittybuilt X20 winch? 1592406216389

This is the install video I was referring to.

That is correct. The 3.0 engine bay is laid out different than the 3.6.

James_a

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That is correct. The 3.0 engine bay is laid out different than the 3.6.
If you don't mind I'd like to pick your brain one more time. I did find a a grounding terminal on the drivers side but it's about a foot away from the mount and a bit hard to reach but I'm thinking I could use that to run my negative supply to the bus bar. Would you have an opinion on the gauge of wire I should use for this. I've e-mailed Voswitch but I'm not getting any response,,,

Thanks

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
If you don't mind I'd like to pick your brain one more time. I did find a a grounding terminal on the drivers side but it's about a foot away from the mount and a bit hard to reach but I'm thinking I could use that to run my negative supply to the bus bar. Would you have an opinion on the gauge of wire I should use for this. I've e-mailed Voswitch but I'm not getting any response,,,

Thanks
I believe I ran a short length of 8 gauge from the ground post to my bus bar. 12ish inch length run.

jsmartin14

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD delivered 06-16-2020
Probably a dumb question, but where are the aux switch (under hood) wires located, 2020 JLUR 3.0 Eco? Any pics of where they are located "pre-installation" of any of your accessories?
Sponsored