Sponsored

The Sunrider for Hardtop for the All New Jeep® Wrangler JL is here!

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Yes, and you have to remove your freedom panels to fold the windshield, why? Because freedom panel sits on the windshield weather seal. With sunrider, the door rail sits on top of the seal all the time, so the only way to fold windshield is to remove sunrider.
I stand corrected. Didn't realize that the front seal was attached to the windshield. Thought it was attached to the roll bar.
Sponsored

plex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Weekend keyboard mechanic and beer drinker
Vehicle Showcase
I have several observations after owning Sunrider for a month.

(1) It is not perfectly compatible with Mopar grab handles, you can put it over Mopar handles, but it will create a leverage that the rear of your sunrider will raise tiny bit amount and not sit flush with hardtop. It may not cause major leaks but if you are OCD like me, you probably want to go a different route, GPCA, Bartact or any velcro-based grab handles are likely okay.

(2) The locations of front striker plates need to be fine adjusted so the clamps on both sides requiring same amount of forces. This is a key to front leak and wind noise. Again everyone's Jeep is different out of factory, so some may need more adjustment, some may not.

(3) After some minor tweaks, my Sunrider is pretty good. Under 60 mph, I can't tell much difference with my freedom top w/ hothead sound assassin and headliner. Over 70 mph, it is loud as heck but I will take that as trade off.

Overall, I think this is a well designed product. The issues are most due to FCA's QC, almost every Jeep is a little bit different in seals and pin locations. Fine adjustment is likely required for most aftermarket parts mounting to factory locations, whether being a bumper, a top, or something else.

I am scrambling to find some sunshade solutions that allow open and close Sunrider in the cab. It seems unless Bestop move forward with the retractable sunshade design, none on the market can achieve this. I believe I can customize some roller shades to the pre-threaded M8 holes and front freedom panel locating pin holes, if enough people interested in that, we may start a crowd funded project.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

It is not perfectly compatible with Mopar grab handles, you can put it over Mopar handles, but it will create a leverage that the rear of your sunrider will raise tiny bit amount and not sit flush with hardtop. It may not cause major leaks but if you are OCD like me, you probably want to go a different route, GPCA, Bartact or any velcro-based grab handles are likely okay.
Thank you for posting this observation. I was just about to order a 4 piece set of the Mopar grab handles. I guess I'm going back to Bartact. I have a set from my JKU, but the colors don't match my new JLU.

Again everyone's Jeep is different out of factory, so some may need more adjustment, some may not.
This is 100% true. I didn't have to adjust the latch/strike plates, but I did have to actually mix and match components from 2 Sunrider tops to get a perfect install that doesn't leak.

I am scrambling to find some sunshade solutions that allow open and close Sunrider in the cab. It seems unless Bestop move forward with the retractable sunshade design, none on the market can achieve this. I believe I can customize some roller shades to the pre-threaded M8 holes and front freedom panel locating pin holes, if enough people interested in that, we may start a crowd funded project.
It sucks that there isn't a decent sunshade that works well with the Sunrider for Hardtop. I actually ordered one of Bestop's Targa Style Bikini Shades and had to send it back for a refund. It did not work/fit with the Sunrider. I would be 100% interested in the roller shade idea. The only thing is, I would prefer something that is made from a mesh material rather than a solid roller shade.

plex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you for posting this observation. I was just about to order a 4 piece set of the Mopar grab handles. I guess I'm going back to Bartact. I have a set from my JKU, but the colors don't match my new JLU.

This is 100% true. I didn't have to adjust the latch/strike plates, but I did have to actually mix and match components from 2 Sunrider tops to get a perfect install that doesn't leak.

It sucks that there isn't a decent sunshade that works well with the Sunrider for Hardtop. I actually ordered one of Bestop's Targa Style Bikini Shades and had to send it back for a refund. It did not work/fit with the Sunrider. I would be 100% interested in the roller shade idea. The only thing is, I would prefer something that is made from a mesh material rather than a solid roller shade.
The Targa Bikini does not work very well anyway. The front center magnets are not strong enough to hold it in place when driving in high speed so they flapped as hell, someone here said he have to velcro them down.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

The Targa Bikini does not work very well anyway. The front center magnets are not strong enough to hold it in place when driving in high speed so they flapped as hell, someone here said he have to velcro them down.
The magnets were the main draw to the product. It seemed like a lower cost alternative to the JTOPs shades. I didn't even get to the point of driving with it. I couldn't even get it installed properly with the Sunrider. Aside from that, the straps at the back were opposite of how they were shown in the instruction manual, so they didn't fit around the roll/sound bar. Also, one of the button screws broke as soon as I took it out of the bag.

Please keep us posted if you decide to prototype a roller shade design.

Sponsored

carpie99

First Name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Freedom Edition
Can you take off the hard top while leaving the Sunrider installed ... maybe just by removing the rear clamp?

JMONEZ

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Self employed
Vehicle Showcase
I have a new noise that has developed in my Sunrider for Hardtop in the past week. It's coming from the area above the driver's head. Here's a sound clip. Use headphones. Any idea what's up with that?

Did you get it sorted out with bestop? I have a similar creekeing and popping noise from mine. More affected by bumps (likely body flexing) just driving slow speeds. I’m also getting some lite flappingnoise when it’s closed with mild breaze and windows up, no air leaks tho. Any suggestions to get rid of creaking,clicking, pop noise? Mine seems to be from bar area behind head when closed. Thanks

plex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Did you get it sorted out with bestop? I have a similar creekeing and popping noise from mine. More affected by bumps (likely body flexing) just driving slow speeds. I’m also getting some lite flappingnoise when it’s closed with mild breaze and windows up, no air leaks tho. Any suggestions to get rid of creaking,clicking, pop noise? Mine seems to be from bar area behind head when closed. Thanks
I too have these noise, I think it is just the bow part rattling, not much you can do since it is designed to be flexible.

Guelerct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara
Can you take off the hard top while leaving the Sunrider installed ... maybe just by removing the rear clamp?
You can take it off but you do need to loosen most of the bolts to fasten/loosen the front of the hardtop The sunder is an easy off/on install though. I played with it this morning and it wasn't a big deal, just takes an extra 5 minutes.

psdtime

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJ Rubicon, 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2020 JLRU
Vehicle Showcase
I'm anxiously waiting for my Sunrider to arrive.. I watched a bunch of install videos a couple of months ago. I could have sworn that I saw some assemble the Sunrider on the Jeep and other assemble it on a table then install it on the Jeep. What is correct way? Maybe there is only one way and I remembered it incorrectly? Thanks

Sponsored

JMONEZ

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Self employed
Vehicle Showcase
I too have these noise, I think it is just the bow part rattling, not much you can do since it is designed to be flexible.
You’re right, the creak, rattle and popping is definitely from rear bar, more on passenger side. its driving me crazy, can’t seem to get it to go away. I’ve tried foam tape, adjusting, loosening, and tightening. Called Bestop cus Serv and they said weird, haven’t heard of that issue ever before.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

assemble it on a table then install it on the Jeep. What is correct way?
This is the new "official" way, per the instructions. Attach the door rails to the top and then install as an entire assembly. You can do it the other way, but it's a bit tricky to get the Z-clips in place properly.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
This is the new "official" way, per the instructions. Attach the door rails to the top and then install as an entire assembly. You can do it the other way, but it's a bit tricky to get the Z-clips in place properly.
I don't know if I would call it a "new" way... or new official way... Go back to page 1 of this thread and carefully read, the whole 30 page thread. Early on, you will see, I was one of the very first here, if not the first to do the Sunrider for JL assembly and install. You will see that I assembled it on the garage floor, on top of a cargo pad. Once assembled, I lifted it onto the JL and bolted it on. The whole process was easy easy but yes, the Z clip was a bit of pain..

Geeeez, with over 30,000 miles running the Sunrider for JL-Twill, (Summer and Winter) all I can say is wow.... what a terrific addition to my JL.

Only Sunrider, shortcoming I can report, is that with the closed Sunrider, at speeds above 65 mph, my cabin is a tad bit noisier. Benefits of SR outweigh this single shortcoming.

About our Forum Sponsor, @Bestop and their Sunrider for JL offering. Yes, the vinyl or twill is placed on the Sunrider, JL metal frame. in Mexico. I have no problem with this as Mexican workers take pride in their work/have a terrific work ethic ..... AND in regard to Bestop.... Well, their Customer Service is top notch and shines above the Customer Service of most companies. Myself and other's I know that have dealt with Bestop, all feel the company/Bestop is there for their customer and will work with the customer to take care of any and all issues that come up.

Disclaimer: Sure, I would prefer a product I buy to be made in the USA.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

I don't know if I would call it a "new" way... or new official way
Bestop changed their instructions to now have everything assembled before install. The original instructions called for the door rails to be installed on the vehicle first. So, yes, this is the "new" method per Bestop, regardless of whether you chose to install this way before anyone else.

AlamedaJeep

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Not that it really matters, but the "original" instructions were to assemble it before installing it on the Jeep (I bought one in 2018 when it was first released). Then the instructions were revised to install the rails on the Jeep first and then install the rest on the vehicle.

It seems like they have now reverted back to the original instructions.
Sponsored