Insight needed from Rubicon owners

HardSell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Built Rubicon replaced modestly built stolen '87 XJ
Occupation
Nose Picker
Just stoked to afford one finally and not living off of ramen and ketchup sandwiches.
It's never a bad thing to celebrate good fortune not gained from someone's loss. I also frequently celebrate my sons' good fortune. I'm old enough to celebrate the few remaining to me with a quiet evening martini in good weather. You set out seeking advice from others with experience beyond yours to avoid avoidable regrets. That is wisdom cloaked in humility. I'm glad you saw the humor as I did. I get a joy from seeing someone click their heels.
Sponsored

Jabarsetti

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Ret. USAF
Vehicle Showcase
Lots of opinions... So here is mine, I've driven mine stock here in CO, wheel twice a month. it's a my DD and our family vehicle 19 JLUR 23k miles on it. Up until last month it was stock minus a winch(smittybilt) and some common recovery gear. I don't have the Aux switches(kinda wish I did). But, I walked into the dealer with a build sheet and they were rolling my current JLUR off of the truck it had everything that was on the build sheet minus the Aux/tow package, so I negotiated on that instead of waiting on a build. The dealer wouldn't work with me on installing either of them at a reasonable price and I had/have no plans for the switches and didn't really tow anything at this time, I wanted them for just a peace of mind and ease for future mods down the road but I've lived without them. I currently have the steel bumpers that have held up to a few drags and bangs, however I am concerned about the rear and coming down hard on it, not from experience just from what I've read about its durability on here. I don't typically wheel in the environments that would put me in that position but again it's a concern. That said, it DD and wheeled great stock. I most recently put 35's on it and the handling stiffened up and drives way better than stock (I wish I would have coordinated with dealer to install tires before taking ownership.) it drove well before but it's so much nicer now! In the garage I have the Rancho 2 inch lift waiting time to install. Do I need it probably not, but again peace of mind as I've rubbed the belly a few times. In the end a stock Rubicon has and will always out perform my ability. I have tried to remain logical through out the process really weighing in on my needs for parts for function, not just for fun. In the end it has surpassed any expectations I have had for it. Minus a few trips to the dealer for Warranty issues that I believe would have been "normal" for any new vehicle.
My thoughts in whole is to run it stock, I am sure it will be equal to if not more capable than your JK. Personally I just plan on building as I go and it's need to keep it working in the conditions that I use it in. Track bar and LCA's maybe we'll see once the lift is installed. As I am sure you are aware being a seasoned Jeep owner. You find so many different opinions on these Forums and other sites that it gets confusing take your time do your research and talk to individual members of the "Jeep Family" to decide what the right direction is for your build.

EJH220

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Rubicon Recon / 20 Aviator / 22 Bronco Sport
It’s gotten pretty ridiculous out here. When we settled down here everyone knew each other’s name and the land was mostly fields and farming. Since then Plano, The Colony, and Frisco has shuffled its way out here along with the aforementioned arrogance.
We enjoy Frisco. We come down once a year to watch a football game (except for 2016) and everyone is always really nice. :)

I'm sure all the advice is appreciated. I did a lot of research when I purchased my 13' JKU Sahara and the forums were great for when I started modded it to my liking.

I recently got a 2020 JLUR Recon. It's not my DD but I have been driving it a lot.

The HID lights are GREAT. The Aux switches could not be easier to use. Don't have the adaptive cruise, which I would have liked but I'll survive. The doors feel a lot lighter to me than my 13. I'm assuming aluminum. Even the hardtop with the headliners feels lighter and easier to handle. (I have a hoist so...)

The 8.4 screen and upgraded audio work great. The towing package will work for everything I'll ever tow with the Jeep. The 2.0 with eTorque feels great so far after 1,300 miles. I'm a little worried about reliability, but that is what warranty is for, and when the warranty is getting close to being done, that's when I'll have to make a big decision. (Neighbor is having a hell of a time dealing with Baxter Jeep here in Omaha and an extended warranty they purchased from the dealer on their 2013 JKU Sahara.)

Overall checking the boxes can make a Jeep Wrangler expensive, which is why the Recon package worked best for me.

OP
OP
Jeep4Win

Jeep4Win

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
We enjoy Frisco. We come down once a year to watch a football game (except for 2016) and everyone is always really nice. :)

I'm sure all the advice is appreciated. I did a lot of research when I purchased my 13' JKU Sahara and the forums were great for when I started modded it to my liking.

I recently got a 2020 JLUR Recon. It's not my DD but I have been driving it a lot.

The HID lights are GREAT. The Aux switches could not be easier to use. Don't have the adaptive cruise, which I would have liked but I'll survive. The doors feel a lot lighter to me than my 13. I'm assuming aluminum. Even the hardtop with the headliners feels lighter and easier to handle. (I have a hoist so...)

The 8.4 screen and upgraded audio work great. The towing package will work for everything I'll ever tow with the Jeep. The 2.0 with eTorque feels great so far after 1,300 miles. I'm a little worried about reliability, but that is what warranty is for, and when the warranty is getting close to being done, that's when I'll have to make a big decision. (Neighbor is having a hell of a time dealing with Baxter Jeep here in Omaha and an extended warranty they purchased from the dealer on their 2013 JKU Sahara.)

Overall checking the boxes can make a Jeep Wrangler expensive, which is why the Recon package worked best for me.
Thanks for the input! I really had my eye on the Rubicon Recon but I’m not sure if they will have it for 2021. Really evaluating some of the options if I have to go with the Rubicon.

OP
OP
Jeep4Win

Jeep4Win

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Lots of opinions... So here is mine, I've driven mine stock here in CO, wheel twice a month. it's a my DD and our family vehicle 19 JLUR 23k miles on it. Up until last month it was stock minus a winch(smittybilt) and some common recovery gear. I don't have the Aux switches(kinda wish I did). But, I walked into the dealer with a build sheet and they were rolling my current JLUR off of the truck it had everything that was on the build sheet minus the Aux/tow package, so I negotiated on that instead of waiting on a build. The dealer wouldn't work with me on installing either of them at a reasonable price and I had/have no plans for the switches and didn't really tow anything at this time, I wanted them for just a peace of mind and ease for future mods down the road but I've lived without them. I currently have the steel bumpers that have held up to a few drags and bangs, however I am concerned about the rear and coming down hard on it, not from experience just from what I've read about its durability on here. I don't typically wheel in the environments that would put me in that position but again it's a concern. That said, it DD and wheeled great stock. I most recently put 35's on it and the handling stiffened up and drives way better than stock (I wish I would have coordinated with dealer to install tires before taking ownership.) it drove well before but it's so much nicer now! In the garage I have the Rancho 2 inch lift waiting time to install. Do I need it probably not, but again peace of mind as I've rubbed the belly a few times. In the end a stock Rubicon has and will always out perform my ability. I have tried to remain logical through out the process really weighing in on my needs for parts for function, not just for fun. In the end it has surpassed any expectations I have had for it. Minus a few trips to the dealer for Warranty issues that I believe would have been "normal" for any new vehicle.
My thoughts in whole is to run it stock, I am sure it will be equal to if not more capable than your JK. Personally I just plan on building as I go and it's need to keep it working in the conditions that I use it in. Track bar and LCA's maybe we'll see once the lift is installed. As I am sure you are aware being a seasoned Jeep owner. You find so many different opinions on these Forums and other sites that it gets confusing take your time do your research and talk to individual members of the "Jeep Family" to decide what the right direction is for your build.
From what I can tell everyone’s input is that stock overall is pretty amazing.

Sponsored

Covet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR, 22 392, 22 4xe JLUR sold x3, 24 392
Well I have made the decision awhile back to end my 10 year relationship with my JK Sport to order a new JL around February. I have modified it throughout the years to stay within the budget I had at the time. I am now more financially secure so I really have my eyes on ordering a 2 door Rubicon.

I am just seeking out some insight on a few things from Rubicon owners considering this will share the responsibilities of daily driver and off roader as my JK does. Mainly highway daily driving and trail with some moderate rock crawling when off road.

•What are your impressions so far bone stock? - way more capable than my built FJ or Tacomas
•What mods do you think are absolutely necessary if any for a stock Rubicon for driving habits I mentioned above? - our habits seem pretty similar. In that case the only absolutely necessary one i made was the sunshade. - mostly highway, off-roading and occasional rocks - you wont need much more than that
•What are your personal thoughts from experience on the factory aux switches and steel bumpers? - factory aux is awesome, steel bumpers came with mine i like them but if you get all kinds of serious there are probably better options for less $ - again, mine came with the steel and they look great!
•What winch recommendations do you have? Not going to be used heavily just there for those just in case scenarios. - if its really for just in case get a hyjack and a strap. If its more cosmetical (nothing wrong with that) I’d go with the Mopar options - again if its more so cosmetic the Mopar options look great.

Covet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR, 22 392, 22 4xe JLUR sold x3, 24 392
Let me reply to my own response... the way you described your wants and needs does not sound vastly different than mine. I considered a winch for a while, why? Because it looks bad-@ss! Realistically i would probably never need it based on where i wheel and who i wheel with - so before anyone says $hit about the Mopar sold winches - if we are talking bout good looking - they look good. IF you are one of our brethren that really try to tempt fate, rocks, what your god never intended you or a vehicle to do = those are some awesome YouTube vids BUT! If you are someone who wants to winch your way upside the Hoover damn then your wants and needs are not as you described :) in that case you need some more serious $hit and looks dont matter Lol! If you want to walk out say i got some capability and that capability and will likely not every need that capability (like me with my jlur) then read the stuff wrote :)
enjoy our wranger !

EJH220

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Rubicon Recon / 20 Aviator / 22 Bronco Sport
From what I can tell everyone’s input is that stock overall is pretty amazing.
Yeah, this time around, I don't need a lift for 35s. Don't need to regear. Stereo is great. Can add a winch with a plate. Head Lights are great. Aux switches are so simple to wire up.

Just my $0.02...

XxsullyxX123

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2020 Honda Pilot Touring
I don’t have a ton to contribute as I am also learning. But I’ll say, Great read. I’m either ordering a 2021 Rubi as well or snagging a 2020 off the lot of I can find what I want. Still hung up on motor options myself (really like recon but not sure about 2.0 e torque albeit ‘21 rubi 3.6 has etorque anyway ). Coming from 2 years with a ‘17 JKUR and and Audi S4 in between. I’m atypical from the guys here and switch a lot. Maybe ordering a vehicle exactly The way I want and not Impulsively settling for what I can find quick will be the right recipe for longevity.

misanthrope

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Schwinn Homegrown
Occupation
Badass
What may I ask is the main issue with the 48 volt system?
Some things to consider: the 2 door Rubi is offered with 3 engines, but very specific combos. The tried-and-true 3.6 non-ETorque, but only with the manual, the 2.0 Turbo non-ETorque with the auto, and the 3.6 ETorque with the auto. So, if you want a manual, you get the 3.6. If you want an auto, you can get the 3.6, but only with the 48v BSG ETorque system. If you want the auto but don't want ETorque, your only option is the 2.0 Turbo.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jeep4Win

Jeep4Win

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Some things to consider: the 2 door Rubi is offered with 3 engines, but very specific combos. The tried-and-true 3.6 non-ETorque, but only with the manual, the 2.0 Turbo non-ETorque with the auto, and the 3.6 ETorque with the auto. So, if you want a manual, you get the 3.6. If you want an auto, you can get the 3.6, but only with the 48v BSG ETorque system. If you want the auto but don't want ETorque, your only option is the 2.0 Turbo.
I really have my eyes on the 2.0 turbo...

Winder

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
•What are your impressions so far bone stock?
•What mods do you think are absolutely necessary if any for a stock Rubicon for driving habits I mentioned above?
•What are your personal thoughts from experience on the factory aux switches and steel bumpers?
•What winch recommendations do you have? Not going to be used heavily just there for those just in case scenarios.
I have a 2020 JLUR with soft top and 6 speed. I really enjoy it.
Aux switch package is worth it if you know you will be adding lights or accessories.
Skip the steel bumpers.
I've only owned Warn so I can't comment on other brands.

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Rubicon Recon & 2017 TACO 4WD OFF ROAD
Occupation
Retired

I also bought a 2020 JLU Rubicon Recon that was loaded to the gills and already has a whopping 400 miles on it. At $62K, what's left is there to put on? Anyway, with all the options coupled with it's off road capability, it is without question light years above my skill level. This is not to say that in a few years, I'll decide to lift it, put 37s on, and add a few mods, but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. This will be my second Rubicon as my last one was a 2015 Rubicon X or Hard Rock.

I tend to look at after market add ons with more practicality. Later, if I go off road and discover that my learned skill level is reaching the level of the rig's ability, then I believe it's time for me to make some serious off-road additions to my JLUR. Therefore, I see my driving ability (and of course having discretionary income) will be the determinant on what and when I will add more to what I have.

I will say that no one should be ashamed of adding mods to make your rig look great as a mall crawler. I truly wonder what the overall percentage of Rubi owners have actually done some serious rock crawling? Either way, a fully loaded Rubicon looks awesome and it's a head-turner no matter how you use it.

Neanderthalman

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I truly wonder what the overall percentage of Rubi owners have actually done some serious rock crawling? Either way, a fully loaded Rubicon looks awesome and it's a head-turner no matter how you use it.
We all have different reasons for getting what we get. And getting something more expensive that just “looks cool” isn’t really a problem if you have the money.

I doubt I’ll ever do much as there aren’t many rocky trails around here, so I’m not exactly helping with that statistic.

But that’s not why I got the rubi. I need to launch and more notably, retrieve a good sized boat. I was not 100% certain that a sahara with limited slip could do the job. On most launches it’s probably fine but every now and again I launch from a sandy beach in remote areas.

And if I’m dropping this kind of coin I absolutely cannot wind up with a tool that cannot do the job for which it is intended. Failure is not an option.

The price difference was only about $4k with all my desired options. And that was cut into a fair bit by not needing to immediately buy a second set of snow tires for a Rubi because of the KO2s. Priced out around the $1500 mark. So that became only a $2500 difference.

So with such a small jump to make, it seemed to be a no brainer to get the heavier axles, lockers, lift, etc that you get with the Rubicon, even though rock crawling will be a rare occurrence outside dedicated road trips or vacations to somewhere like Utah (which Id love to do someday).

Also, I like to wave at other Jeeps - and since Sahara owners never seem to bloody wave back I’m glad I’m in a Rubi and not a Sahara.

Jeeperob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R || 2021 Hellayella Rubicon JLU
Also, I like to wave at other Jeeps - and since Sahara owners never seem to bloody wave back I’m glad I’m in a Rubi and not a Sahara.
Lol, is this true? I haven’t bought my Rubi yet...
Sponsored