Sponsored

Clutch Recall (FCA W12 | 20V-124) on 2018-2020 JL Manuals [overheating clutch pressure plate]

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

Took my 2018 jlu sport in yesterday for the recall. Had an appointment at 7 am. My girl friend dropped it off and when she was talking to the service write up gentleman has told her they don’t have any parts for the recall and that no service would be rendered. I drove to the deal at that point from my office. Few miles away. And had to explain the recall to the service write up guy. Strike one. It was just the first inspection of the clutch system to see what would need to be done. 1 hr was the allotted time. I called at my lunch 5 hours after dropping the Jeep off. No one knew if my Jeep was touched. I showed up on my way home 3 more hours later and walked into the managers office And asked what was going on with my wrangler. He proceeded to tell me it’s been done since 9am. STRIKE TWO. Next I asked what they found. He then tells me all they did was press the clutch Peddle 50x to see if it leaks anywhere on the hydraulic line. Which it passed. (I know it doesn’t leak. I inspect under the hood and under the Jeep before every trip I go on.) next I asked if they inspected the friction plate for any fracturing. I was told that if it passed the leak test they do no more testing Per the procedure.. I asked if he knows if my friction plate Was fractured. Of course he goes back to saying it passed the first part so everything must be good to go... are you KIDDING ME?. How can I drive my wrangler confidently knowing that they failed to inspect the friction plate Like they should. After him telling me they followed FCA procedure to the “T” I asked if they installed Or (are they going to install at a later date) for heat sleeve on the cooling line per the W12 recall again he said no because the FCA PROCEDURE said they don’t go further past the leak test if it passes. After getting home I PMd @JeepCares and asked for the recall procedure so I can gather information so I can choose what I am going to do next. I will never return to the dealer I went to. But I need to know what should have been done before moving forth on what choices I have going forward.. now I’m debating asking Jeep to buy the vehicle back, sale the thing and get something that I will have piece of mind driving with my family, hope that FCA does the right thing and properly inspects the clutch like they should and provide the all the photos and paperwork to show me with confidence that my wrangler will never catch fire due to the clutch failure known problem. Was going to buy my
Girlfriend a Jeep in 2021. This has made me change my mind. FCA DOES NOT BACK THEIR PRODUCT NOR CARE ABOUT THEIR CUSTOMERS. So frustrating.
Sponsored

Schism75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18’ JLU SAHARA
I rang my local dealer today inquiring about my recall. He acknowledged that it was the “W12 recall” and stated we have to order parts and will call when they come in. I’m not certain what parts are needed for this as I was under the impression they were to inspect the systems functionality and go from there. I’ll post back when I move further in the process.

JT_SportS

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MT Wrangler Sport S
I rang my local dealer today inquiring about my recall. He acknowledged that it was the “W12 recall” and stated we have to order parts and will call when they come in. I’m not certain what parts are needed for this as I was under the impression they were to inspect the systems functionality and go from there. I’ll post back when I move further in the process.
Yep, my dealer said they have to take pictures and send them in before proceeding with parts ordering. Who the hell knows what the true story is, as we all get different accounts of what this recall requires.

crbrenny

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Sting Grey; 2021 JLR Gecko
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Well, I got my jeep back today, after about 3.5 hours. They also fixed the leather on the back of my passenger seat and gave me an oil change. The person I spoke with at the dealership had no idea if they tested it, or if there was any test, but he said the parts they put on cost them $26 haha, I will take it as fixed for now.

jlewissystem

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR MANUAL Mojito!
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
From what I’ve read: you’ll be thankful to wait on the parts as opposed to failing and having to leave your Jeep at the dealer, until parts come in.

Sponsored

OBJLU

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Hahaha....laugh is about all I can do at this point. Got a message telling me my jeep was ready, arrived at the dealer and shame on me, because I should have taken it right back and checked everything before I drove it off but I didn't.

Something went awry with the clutch and flywheel replacement, I can barely get it into first gear now, I have to slam it into gear and mash the clutch pedal down as hard as I can, also, they never placed the sleeve of the hose, SMH. Anyone have any ideas what can cause the hard shift into first? Air in the line?

I just dropped it back off 30 mins ago, I highly doubt ill get it back in time for my trip tomorrow.

@JeepCares (thank you) did try and help, got me in touch with the district manager who followed up with the dealer, you'd think with all the attention on my case they'd get it right but nope. To their credit they did replace the rear main seal which was leaking.

amnesiac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S
Hahaha....laugh is about all I can do at this point. Got a message telling me my jeep was ready, arrived at the dealer and shame on me, because I should have taken it right back and checked everything before I drove it off but I didn't.

Something went awry with the clutch and flywheel replacement, I can barely get it into first gear now, I have to slam it into gear and mash the clutch pedal down as hard as I can, also, they never placed the sleeve of the hose, SMH. Anyone have any ideas what can cause the hard shift into first? Air in the line?

I just dropped it back off 30 mins ago, I highly doubt ill get it back in time for my trip tomorrow.

@JeepCares (thank you) did try and help, got me in touch with the district manager who followed up with the dealer, you'd think with all the attention on my case they'd get it right but nope. To their credit they did replace the rear main seal which was leaking.
wow. sorry about your Jeep. that stinks.

Sponsored

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR

Clutch not fully bled, yes

JT_SportS

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MT Wrangler Sport S
Well, my dealer pulled a Scotty from Star Trek, they under promised and over delievered, to an extent anyway. I got a call yesterday late afternoon that my parts came in, and the Jeep was ready to be picked up. All they did was replace the tube and add the sleeve. I cannot tell any difference in the clutch from before. Just happy to get it back after 5 weeks!

01tj

First Name
jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous 2001 Wrangler, Kia Optima, possibly 2018 Wrangler unlimited
Have you guys had to argue to get loaners our is that kind of just part of the recall? I really don't want my daily driver taken from me and be left without a vehicle.

SunnyBuck1981

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2017 Honda CRV
Does anyone have any before and after pics of the sleeve getting done. I haven’t had it done, scheduled to do it this Friday. Here’s a pic of it now. It has a sleeve on it already but I do see the clip too.

Is it a different sleeve ?

EE9DBFFC-3BDC-4698-B1F0-2E2470536E00.jpeg

A6FBEDB6-B39A-40F4-8907-B29A44143FC0.jpeg
Mine below is after my first visit to the dealer where they took pictures. Looks like they put a hose clamp on it as well.

IMG_1944.jpeg
Sponsored